Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

OBD code 2279

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD code 2279

Hope someone here can help me with this code...
Vehicle is a '06 Ridgeline, I recently did a t/belt job and valve adjustment.
The throttle body was removed and cleaned also.
Upon initial startup, everything was fine, after driving for approx. an hour, the MIL came on, accompanied with a slightly higher (100 rpm) idle speed.
According to my code reader this code has to do with an air intake leak.
I've checked everything the Honda shop manual lists as possible causes,
they are, but not limited to:
PCV system
Brake booster vac. hoses
Cam timing
Performing the idle learn system as described in the manual has not helped, matter of fact I've done it multiple times, as well the CKP re-learn procedure.
This problem has me stumped, mind you that the code did not manifest itself till after an hour of driving, total of maybe 40 miles.
The code will re-appear after only a minute or so of idling, along with the higher idle speed.
BTW, the t/body was cleaned properly, cleaner was applied to a rag first, then used to clean the bore and plate.

Hope someone can help, Thanks in advance !
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: OBD code 2279

When you removed the throttle body did you used a new gasket? Also check to make sure that any and all vacuum hoses have been put back and are not leaking. Also check to make sure that any sensors in the area are connected properly. When removing the TB you may have knocked somethign loose.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
When you removed the throttle body did you used a new gasket? Also check to make sure that any and all vacuum hoses have been put back and are not leaking. Also check to make sure that any sensors in the area are connected properly. When removing the TB you may have knocked somethign loose.
Yes, a new and correct gskt. was used, besides myself 2 other mechanics have checked all elec.connectors and hose connections. They haven't found anything amiss.
What gets to me that it ran fine, with no code displayed until an hour, 40 miles after initial start
Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You say that you did a t/belt job and valve adjustment. Only mention this because it mentions cam timing and maybe, just maybe, something may have come loose &/or tightened up. Check your timing. You could also try a leak down test and see if any of the valves might be lifted off the seats.

Does your scanner have an advance scan mode or live data mode? Being able to see the MAP voltage and short term and long tern fuel trims would be helpful.

A MAP signal of .084-.092 is what you should see with no load (everything turned off) @ idle. Higher than that could indicate a valve adjustment issue.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
You say that you did a t/belt job and valve adjustment. Only mention this because it mentions cam timing and maybe, just maybe, something may have come loose &/or tightened up. Check your timing. You could also try a leak down test and see if any of the valves might be lifted off the seats.

Does your scanner have an advance scan mode or live data mode? Being able to see the MAP voltage and short term and long tern fuel trims would be helpful.

A MAP signal of .084-.092 is what you should see with no load (everything turned off) @ idle. Higher than that could indicate a valve adjustment issue.
Valve (cam) timing was re-checked already (I mentioned that in the original post) all 3 sprockets marks all line up to where they should be.
A former co-worker (Honda Tech with 30 yrs. + exp.) also mentioned MAP voltage, but my code reader does not have the capability to monitor MAP voltage, just actual vacumn itself, which is 9.4 inches @ idle.
I am sure it's just a typo, shouldn't MAP voltage be .84-.92?
That makes 2 people telling me to re-check valve adj., this should tell me if their are other valve seating issues also.
That is exactly what I am gonna do next...
Many Thanks for your response !
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Trial User

The honda dealer they spent 2 days checkeing car and the code is still there they told me that it is a valve problem I still have the code 2279

any ideas
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The dealership told you that it was a valve problem. However, they didn't tell you how to fix it! Did you ask them how to fix it?

If it's a valve problem it could mean ether a valve adjustment or a valve replacement is required.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by eromer
The honda dealer they spent 2 days checkeing car and the code is still there they told me that it is a valve problem I still have the code 2279

any ideas
My problem was resolved some time back now.
The ECM had to be re-flashed, turns out it was not caused by anything I had done in replacing the timing belt and adjusting the valves. The ECM just decided to display this erroneous code at that time.
Hope this helps