Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Bad Hulog?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
OG Hot Rodder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Hulog?

We're about to start tuning my son's engine and I am having problems datalogging.

The engine is a forged Darton 85mm sleeved B18C1 with a P&Pd B16A head on it, stroked with an LS crank to 2.0L. We had it running well NA with a stock P72 ECU so we could get a BAR sticker for it. We've just upgraded to an LHT intercooled JRSC blower, with Precision 680 low impedance injectors, and have two chipped OBD1 P30 ECUs, one JDM and one USDM.

We will be tuning with CROME Pro on a Win7 PC (assuming we can get it working) as we did a few years ago with the same ECUs for our old B16A race motor. The old setup that worked with these ECUs was an older version of CROME PRO with an old XP PC with a serial port. I have CROME Pro 1.6.2 and 1.5.0 on my PC with USB, hence the use of the Hulog. (I have had the Hulog for some time as well, just haven't used it.) Both P30s have been properly chipped, and used in his other CRX when it had the race motor in it. J4 has been cut in the JDM P30 and J12 has been cut in the USDM P30.

We have a new Ostrich 2.0 and a Burn 2 with some Atmel chips. We have put a base tune for our setup in both the Ostrich and a chip, and do not get a CEL with either. We have run them both in both P30s.

The error message we get when we try to datalog is that it can't connect to the ECU, and it times out. We have installed the latest FTDI drivers from their web site. We have set it to COM1: in device manager at 38400 baud, with the proper 8,N,1 settings. CROME Pro has the same settings. We also tried COM11: (next available), but that caused CROME Pro to freeze when trying ot detect the com settings.

So I put Hyperterminal on my PC, and pointed it at COM1:. I put a 4-pin header in the Hulog CN1 connector and jumpered TxD and RxD together to do a loopback test. I tried all different comm settings and flow control options on Hyperterminal and could not get anything to echo.

I tested the 4 wires on the Hulog cable and all 4 have continuity. I tried two USB cables between the PC and the Hulog, one of which is a know good one fomr my printer.

I am beginning to think I have a bad Hulog unit.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
OG Hot Rodder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bad Hulog?

I got my O-scope back from the neighbor who had borrowed it, and saw that the Hulog would transmit characters, but only about 0.2V p-p. When I hooked the TxD to the RxD, the signal collapsed to nothing.

Looks like a bad Hulog.

Also, FYI, MS Vista and Win 7 no longer come with Hyperterminal. But all you need to do to get Hyperterminal on a new computer is to copy hypertrm.exe and hypertrm.dll into the same folder on your Vista or Win 7 machine, and then double click on the hypertrm.exe file an you will have Hyperterminal on your new machine.