Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Assistance needed: Sputter problem B20V chipped ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance needed: Sputter problem B20V chipped ECU

hey so i have a 1997 acura integra with a b20v turbo it has a chipped p28, i have this problem when i go to around 3k rpm the throttle cuts out, if im driving and i have the throttle 1/4 pressed the car cuts the throttle and it wont go but when i press it down more it works again, but when i bring the rpm up fast then it runs fine. I was driving and the car did this then it just died and wouldnt start i changed the fuel pump to a used walburo i had because it wasnt turning on and the car ran fine then like 2 weeks later the car was sputtering i thought it was cause i was low on gas but it was still doing it until i did a pull and now it ran fine until again 2 days later it started to sputter again but now it just cuts the car completely like the rpms drop and i press the gas and it doesnt do anything, i changed the tps and changed the chip and its still doing it.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Sputter problem

Do you have the ability to datalog? I'm guessing if it's just chipped that you don't.

Are you getting any check engine lights?

What fuel are you running? If it's fuel related you may want to change/clean your fuel filter and/or have your injectors cleaned. Does this happen when the tank is full or when it is a half tank or less? If it doesn't happen when the tank is full, make sure your sock is still on the pump. Aftermarket socks can start to draw in air below about a half tank too, so keeping the OEM sock is best.

It could also be in the tune, or ignition related, or sensor related....

Old 09-05-2020, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputter problem

Originally Posted by DaX
Do you have the ability to datalog? I'm guessing if it's just chipped that you don't.

Are you getting any check engine lights?

What fuel are you running? If it's fuel related you may want to change/clean your fuel filter and/or have your injectors cleaned. Does this happen when the tank is full or when it is a half tank or less? If it doesn't happen when the tank is full, make sure your sock is still on the pump. Aftermarket socks can start to draw in air below about a half tank too, so keeping the OEM sock is best.

It could also be in the tune, or ignition related, or sensor related....
Im using 91 from shell, and i changed the fuel filter and fuel pump, and the check engine light comes on but the scanner doesnt read it, i can hold the gas anywhere after 3k rpm just fine and at idle to its just at 2.5rpm that the pedal doesnt work.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 618 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Re: Assistance needed: Sputter problem B20V chipped ECU

You won't get anything from a scan tool since you're using an obd1 ecu.

Do you have another ecu that you can try to use as a test - maybe a stock P28 you can borrow? That would at least tell us if it's just the mapping or if you have an actual hardware issue. Without the ability to datalog, it's pretty tough to diagnose a drivability issue like this over the internet - it's pretty much swap parts and see what changes it.

Personally to me, it *sounds* like an ignition issue, these ecus/throttles are cable driven and not physically capable of throttle cuts.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance needed: Sputter problem B20V chipped ECU

Originally Posted by spAdam
You won't get anything from a scan tool since you're using an obd1 ecu.

Do you have another ecu that you can try to use as a test - maybe a stock P28 you can borrow? That would at least tell us if it's just the mapping or if you have an actual hardware issue. Without the ability to datalog, it's pretty tough to diagnose a drivability issue like this over the internet - it's pretty much swap parts and see what changes it.

Personally to me, it *sounds* like an ignition issue, these ecus/throttles are cable driven and not physically capable of throttle cuts.
im trying to see if i can borrow one if not ima have to buy another ecu, i have a p75 obd2 im not sure if i can use that since it has bigger injectors