Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: b16 idles rough wants to die out stall at stop

engine pecs
81.5 p30 pistons
supertech flat valves
dual valve springs
mildly ported head done by me
balanced
(the part that i fear is causing the problem) ctr n1 pulley and lightweight flywheel
6 puck clutch
dc header/shortram intake
full 2.5 inch maderal bent with a cali cat atm
stock b16 cams for now
bloc lmas
new iacv cause what the hell
head millled just a tad dont know how much but its under 10 thoua
running it on a p28 with free crome
the rings are gapped to max spec for the bore accourding to the pston manufacture(npr) they came that way
all my bottom bearing rods an mains are.02 thou checked them with plasti gauge.
the motor started up and ran well for the first time with the exception of me not adjusting the lash right but now i have achived perfect lash and the injectors are now louder than the valvetrain. the magnetic drain plug didnt pick up anything not ordinary and the plugs have a mild carbon build up. i put a 1.04 fuel multiplier on crome and tried messing with the advance idle and all it does is want to fall on its face. i tried the iac comp but it seams like that dosnt do anything. i know this may be a vacuum leak or a collant air bubble?? im geeting an afr gadge after i pay rent to tune more properly. yes i am a nobb this is my first motor rebuild it drves but dosnt idle i have to heel toe to keep it alive. so help would be appretiated
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: b16 idles rough wants to die out stall at stop

You rock. Heel toe'n to keep it alive lol. Love it.

Are you using an ostrich? I would just keep making broad changes to the overall fueling until you get it to idle. Having a wideband will do a world of good once you get it.

Try adjusting your throttle body stop screw or the idle air bypass screw on the TB. I don't remember if IACV compensation in crome works the way it should or not. You can set the target idle higher to begin with though. That could help.

Got the TPS calibrated right?

Flywheel isn't an issue. I have a Toda 8.8lb flywheel and I've never had idling issues.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
You rock. Heel toe'n to keep it alive lol. Love it.

Are you using an ostrich? I would just keep making broad changes to the overall fueling until you get it to idle. Having a wideband will do a world of good once you get it.

Try adjusting your throttle body stop screw or the idle air bypass screw on the TB. I don't remember if IACV compensation in crome works the way it should or not. You can set the target idle higher to begin with though. That could help.

Got the TPS calibrated right?

Flywheel isn't an issue. I have a Toda 8.8lb flywheel and I've never had idling issu es.
i adjusted the tps but it only seems like it want to work when i adjust it out ouf spec like.6 closed instead of .5 which is odd. cant get ostrich right now as i have to bar my car this comming december. when i set the target idle it kind of randomly hunts sits at where a set it for a bit then it strats idling really ******* low kina sound cammed a little. i know my timing is dead on did it twice but i cant even tune dizzy timing as my idle is all wacko. i re did the collant bleed seems good. i basicly got it to idle by pulling the throttle cable a little tight and setting the tps at .6v. so does this mean i need more fuel at low rpm. the car wants to sputter and die once the rpm settles but i can get the rpm to sit a little higher now just unstable. so should i add fuel to the fuel multiplier of should i add fuel to the overall table. on second thought ill just wait for a wide band. thanks for all the help.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i rechecked my lash .007 intake .oo8 exhaust for the fourth thim adjusted my tps perfectly cant find a vacum leak. i can get the car to idle at 1500 wher i set it when i get the idle screw to make the surging stop, rebleed the coolant. tried messing with the tunning in crome. still wants to fall on its face after a rev . also i picked up a code 43 but i fixed that with a new o2 sensor i feel this ruogh running fouled out my 02. the car runs much smoother now dosnt miss every so often and idles smooth. seems a little rich from some haze at the exhaust. but as soon as i get my afr gauge ill tune the idle till its stoich. but how do i sove this problem no codes like i said. im honestly stumped. map sensor? pvc valve? leaky brake booster?