Notices

Troubleshooting: Does this connecting rod look usable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troubleshooting: Does this connecting rod look usable?

I bought a D16Y8 for parts and it came with eagle rods. The engine spun a bearing. I cleaned up the rod but I don't know if it would be usable or not. I want to sell them but I don't want to screw them over.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: does this rod look usable

Someone else with more knowledge on this will be able to give a more solid answer, but I would IMAGINE that it could still be used as long as they gauged their new bearings appropriately. The specs needed for that rod will definitely be different than the other 3.

You could also just mention in the ad that one of the rods is questionable and should be looked at by a machine shop prior to usage. If it's a no-go they could always just replace that single rod and keep the other 3.

Side note, respect for asking on here and being upfront with people before selling off used performance parts.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Someone else with more knowledge on this will be able to give a more solid answer, but I would IMAGINE that it could still be used as long as they gauged their new bearings appropriately. The specs needed for that rod will definitely be different than the other 3.

You could also just mention in the ad that one of the rods is questionable and should be looked at by a machine shop prior to usage. If it's a no-go they could always just replace that single rod and keep the other 3.

Side note, respect for asking on here and being upfront with people before selling off used performance parts.
Thanks. I've gotten screwed over so many times that I can't imagine doing it to someone else.

Additional question for everyone. What would be a good asking price for them in this condition
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen rods that have had a lot worse heat damage to them than that one rod - and they were reused. Do you have a set of inside micrometers or a bore gauge? You could measure a good rod in several places to know how "round" and what size the big end bore is and then measure the slightly blued rod the same way to see if it needs to be reconditioned.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good idea. I will do that.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: Does this connecting rod look usable?

It looks like the rod bearings spun really hard inside that rod... which is what created all of that heat. If you get the rod resized, I don't see any reason why you cannot use it again... although if it were me, I would resize all four rods so that the rod length would stay the same on all four instead of having that one "slightly shorter" rod.

Way to go being an honest seller... good karma bro.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I'm going to try and measure it and see if it's off. Or just sell the as is for really cheap. A guy way going to take all of his stuff to the junk yard so I bought it for super cheap. I don't need most of it so I want to get rid of the rest. I paid $80 For
Y8 block w/guard and notched and arp studs
a6 block
the rods and vitaras
turbonetics turbo
ebay turbo
la mesh rims
pro comp wideband
3 piece flywheel
gauge cluster
intercooler piping
hks bov
and a bunch or random parts
Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cityofcaterpillars
I bought a D16Y8 for parts and it came with eagle rods. The engine spun a bearing. I cleaned up the rod but I don't know if it would be usable or not. I want to sell them but I don't want to screw them over.

If the factory machine marks from honing are gone in any way from a spun bearing, I can guarantee it will need to be resized. It does not change the length of the rod either. If the machinist knows what he is doing, he will put a .003" feeler guage under the bar for the cap grinder, and grind one side of one cap at a time. Do one, flip it, and do the other, so when the rod is torqued down, it will pull the outside of the rods where the cap meets in. Otherwise it will not be round anymore. It will be wider at the ends if it is worn, and you do not want that even though that's how most do it..
Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although i am not an experts at these things, i believe that the rod must be inspected by an expert.

First of all stock honing is lost and i believe honing is crucial for applying the new rod bearings.
After rod is very well mesured and honed (together with the crank), new bearings must be installed and VERY cearfully be measured (plastigage or with proper machines), before building the engine.

You don't want to strip again from the begining the entire engine. Take the crank and the damaged rod and visit an expert.

Pay attention not to mix rods and bearings. Mark each rod and bearings with the number of the cyllinder.

I would suggest also to inspect crank bearings, especially near the "damaged" rod

ps. Its a pitty to waist such good pink carpet. I d bet your wife will kill you! lol

Last edited by turbomaniac; 10-27-2017 at 10:09 PM.