The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 04:59 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (Inlinefour)

I havent had the main cap and girdle separate on me without SERIOUS effort
on any b18c i've worked on.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:16 PM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (sgT)

It takes a hammer to separate mine. We'll see if she holds together soon enough.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (Inlinefour)

See this stuff is HT at its Best
Old 11-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Banned

yeah, i figured that out after looking at a GSR girdle. I did it on my B20.VTEC with Z10 and so far so good. if you add the Z10, you need to do this mod, though Z10 denies it.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, you have a little better pictures then mine did. You should mention that you should have the bore checked after installing the girdle, cause sometimes it will get out of whack when installing the girdle.

http://www.diyracing.com/B20girdlemod.html

Later.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor.

and this is why i just bought a GSR block...i'm lazy...
Old 11-19-2002, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (TheSwift1)

I just want to confirm what else you need when adding a girdle. Are the Windage tray, Oil Pickup and oil pan all necessary to be swapped with their GSR counterparts as well?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:23 PM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (teg92)

Are the Windage tray, Oil Pickup and oil pan all necessary to be swapped with their GSR counterparts as well?
Yes, you need them.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (CHEETAH)

nice writeup ...

the Z10 girdles are bolt-ons however still should check play between girdle and cap.

greg
wouldnt you have to change the the crank bearings as well when your putting on the girdle..?? (still learning...)
..or would you JUST open up the oil pan, unbolt, and on slap it on there with new bolts..???

[Modified by 10K2HVN, 2:25 PM 12/29/2002]
Old 12-30-2002, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (10K2HVN)

[QUOTEwouldnt you have to change the the crank bearings as well when your putting on the girdle..?? (still learning...)
..or would you JUST open up the oil pan, unbolt, and on slap it on there with new bolts..???
[/QUOTE]

no need to change main bearings unless they have fatigue signs ...

use new GSR main bolts, GSR windage tray, GSR pickup and GSR oilpan. check the play on the girdle ... and finally upon assembly of the 3 main caps put moly lube on the bearings to aid in initial startup ...

hopefully you're not doing this with the motor still in the car ? if you are then unfortunately you need to loosen #1 and #5 as well which also loosens the crank so that you do not warp. will be a bit tricky to keep crank in place as it is now being held by #1 and #5 bolts HANDTIGHT only ... then follow TQ sequence, then tq down, i.e. 49 ft-lbs for #2,3,4 and 56 ft-lbs for #1, 5

greg
Old 08-11-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (boomslang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boomslang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now comes the important step many people skip. Reaming the caps to accept the bushings. B18c's use 4 large bushings, and 2 smaller bushings. However, the main caps of LS/CRV motors are not wide enough in the center to utilize the smaller bushings. Instead, I decided to use six large bushings and no small bushings. The six large bushings go in the six main cap bolt holes. Here is a pic of the six bushings needed.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is all the extra work on getting "bushings" to fit into the girdle and caps really worth it? I realise that its the proper way but wouldn't be allmost as sturdy just bolted on? And if i was to try doing it this way where would I get the 6 larger bushings?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (nevin)

Need a girdle?
http://theoldone.com/components/block_girdle/
Ready to except dow pins and only COST $200!!! compared to $290+ from Z10 Engineering! Then you have to machine it...
Old 06-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (boomslang)

i don't have the tools so where can i get this machine work done properly
Old 06-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any place with an end mill. That is very simple machine work, and is probably very effective. Great job! Makes sense too. People dont really realize how important it is to have metal to metal contact As clean and as flush as possible. After two years of machine tool tech. Even the slightest burr can ruin a whole part when machining it. Forgive my rambling im tired.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (jaydmcrx)

I've seen some people post about modifying the girdle instead...is either way more effective? and I guess the dowels are to line up the bolts?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Beautiful write up thank you
Old 02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great Write-up, I am sure this applies to aftermarket girdles as well
Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but it's very informative.

If I have GSR caps, could I just use those instead of machining the LS ones? If yes, then all I would need to do is get the proper "bushings" (aka dowel pins) and get everything line honed?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (Eluzion)

If you were to change to the GSR caps, you would need to do a thourough line hone to resize the mains, as the bearing caps are matched to the block.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor. (Jaker)

Hm, sounds like it might be better just to use the LS caps and have them milled. I guess I could see what the machine shop says.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 PM
New User

Good writeup! I have the equipment in my home shop... a friend of mine wants me to help him out with his LS. (It's a straight LS w/ turbo.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You must use a dial indicator to center over the existing holes properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you could use a dial test indicator to "tram" the hole or you could use a center finder. Center finder would be faster, but DTI would be more precise. When locating holes on the mill I usually "rough it in" with a center finder (usually within .001") and "fine it in" with a test indicator. Hondas like to be precise to .0001" so the test indicator's your best friend.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 AM

great write up espically since i was lookin for a thread about this topic. now my ? for you boomslang is wouldn't it just be easier to buy the endyn block girdle so you wont have to do all this machining or will u still have to do that regardless if you buy the gsr or endyn. its goin on my ls block
Old 04-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man nice job with the write up alot of work to do it right but pays off in the long run.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When bolting the main caps and girdle back together to send to the machineshop.

Is it ok to use the old bolts, or should the new bolts be used, or does it not matter as long as it is torqued properly.

The reason i ask this is because dont new bolts lose a little of their tensile strenght everytime they are un/retorqued?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor.

sorry for kicking the dead meat.. but is there anyway you could post up those pictures again? i need to do the same but i'm not sure what to do.. and i'm glad i found this thread but i wish there was pictures as well.. or if anyone knows another link for this.. plz hook it up. thanks

Quick Reply: The proper way to install a block girdle on an LS/CRV motor.