Not the most exciting engine swap

Old 05-23-2017, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the most exciting engine swap

Hello everyone,

So I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX with 300k miles on it, the current F22B1 has started to burn alot of oil so I bought an engine from a JDM importer, it is an F23A from a JDM 2001 Honda Odyssey with an advertised less that 55k miles on it. I have decided to do timing belt and check the valves and pistons while I have the engine out. I removed the head and found that one of the cylinders (Cylinder number 4, the one closest to the transmission) had some rust at the top and stains on the walls. I cleaned all the Pistons with a brass brush and then cleaned the cylinders with some steel wool. Three cylinders all look very similar while cylinder 4 is the one that looks kinda rough. There is no notching when I run my finger nail down the cylinder wall until the very top where the rings do not make contact and there is a bit of rough spot from the rust. Is this something that will need attention? Or should it be fine to resemble? The head gasket appeared to be sealing well and there was no visible spot where antifreeze was making its way into the cylinder, but I have never had the engine running so I can't say for sure. It also looks like it has probably been sitting for a while not being run before I got it.

Thanks for all the help in advance! Cylinder number 1 that looks just like cylinders 2 and 3
Now the cylinder in question, number 4. Hopefully the picture is good enough to where you can see the rust at the top and the stains on the walls.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Intelligently Stupid

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Not the most exciting engine swap

Any pitting is bad. As well as using steel wool on the cylinders will affect any cross hatch that was present.

If your fingernail catches on ANYTHING in cylinder four it will need a bore and hone. Which also means over sized pistons pressed on.

Also you should measure the cylinders to be sure taper and out of round is withing spec before you do a light hone to refresh the crosshatch prior to reringing.

But before any of that, first you have to find out if the cylinders are steel sleeves or if they are the FRM sleeves. For some reason I tend to think someone mentioned that F series have some FRM models. If it's FRM, you have to find a machine shop that specializes in FRM material as it requires a special diamond hone to bore and hone. It's not something you can do yourself at all, even just a refresh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: