Need opinion on used head

Old 09-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on used head

I'm trying to purchase a P72 head and the owner sent me some photos of the head and needed some advice.

Owner said it's the full head (cam caps everything etc.) but my only concern is the exhaust side looks super black, is that a normal amount of debris and blackness and is it removable?

Also picture #2 I circled in red something that looks weird, I think that should be a hole but not sure what it's used for...is it possible for a broken thread to be in there? From what I was researching it looks like it's for coolant so not sure why it looks plugged in the photo.

Should I be asking any other questions or asking for certain angles of pictures for the head?

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinion on used head

Originally Posted by butterbeer2fd View Post
I'm trying to purchase a P72 head and the owner sent me some photos of the head and needed some advice.

Owner said it's the full head (cam caps everything etc.) but my only concern is the exhaust side looks super black, is that a normal amount of debris and blackness and is it removable?

Also picture #2 I circled in red something that looks weird, I think that should be a hole but not sure what it's used for...is it possible for a broken thread to be in there? From what I was researching it looks like it's for coolant so not sure why it looks plugged in the photo.

Should I be asking any other questions or asking for certain angles of pictures for the head?

Any advice is appreciated.

pictures was kinda small and I canít see things very good, but it looks like the exhaust gasket was leaking which is why so much black around the exhaust and it was probably running rich (better than lean) but a photo of the valves would be more telling about how the engine was running when the head was removed.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need opinion on used head

You should just plan on refreshing the head upon arrival. Leaking exhaust at header burns valves out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: