Notices

Looking For An Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For An Engine

I have a 1989 Honda Accord LX-i Sedan that I just recently purchased for $500.
It has the original #'s Matching A20A3 SOHC NON-VTEC, as well as the original ER25 5-Speed Manual Transmission.
I wanna build the Engine, but it's really hard to find someone who is willing to build it.

I wanna get the Block Bored Over to its "MAX" Cubic Inches it can be Bored Over to.
I wanna get it Stroked, to its "MAX" Liters it can be Stroked to, with a Custom Made, From Scratch, Fully Forged Rotating Assembly, with a Custom Made "FROM SCRATCH" 4340 Billet Steel Crank, Custom Made "FROM SCRATCH" Billet Aluminum, Titanium or Magnesium I-Beam Connecting Rods, as well as a Custom set of Custom Made "FROM SCRATCH" Billet Aluminum, Titanium, or Magnesium, "DOMED" Pistons, for "MAX" Compression utilizing the "STRONGEST, LIGHTEST" material that can be used for these components...

I'm not aiming for specific HP/TQ #'s, I just wanna Max this Motor as much as it can be to see the most I can get out of it.
That's why I also wanted to get the Cylinder Head fully CNC Machined, with the most material that can possibly be removed from the Intake & Exhaust Ports & Combustion Chambers, the "MOST" material that can be removed as well as an Extremely Large, Extremely Aggressive Custom Made "FROM SCRATCH" Camshaft, with all Custom Made Valves, Valve Springs, Retainers, Valve Seals & Guides & things of that nature...
Old 06-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking For An Engine

Your going to pump at least 20k into a 500.00 car?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ohhhhhkaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....

I originally came here to bash user Creator for hating on people's builds, but he's right. Why are you willing to drop all of that cash? I didn't even know an A series engine existed until this post. Other engines from this series are carbureted for god's sake!

Chassis selection aside, build what you want. But you'll spend exponentially more on performance for this engine than that of another series. Literally ANY modern engine in honda's lineup would outrun this A20, and you can actually still get parts for the newer DOHC stuff (B, some H, K)

Your engine, stock, had about 120hp. That's dismal for a 2.0L by today's standards. After age, probably looking at 90hp. With the cash you're willing to spend on building your power plant, just B or K swap it. 160-220 hp NA is easily and much more readily available, for a FRACTION of the price. Still not enough power? There are SO many more options for B and K engines. Full internals, billet/CNC heads, Turbos, supers, engine management, the list goes on.

To recap: A20 build- $10k for 200 hp, B20 build-$10k for 400 hp, K20 build-$10k for 600hp (reliability and quality parts assumed, of course nothing is in stone)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

If you just want to do something different... then you don't have to sell anyone here on why you want to do what you outlined above. The only thing that you will need to focus on will be ENGINE MANAGEMENT !!! All of this custom internal work will NOT work with the stock computer, so you will need to focus on how you can make all of those neat, expensive parts work together in unison and create maximum performance output. Lots of wiring and hours and hours of tuning will be required.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
If you just want to do something different... then you don't have to sell anyone here on why you want to do what you outlined above. The only thing that you will need to focus on will be ENGINE MANAGEMENT !!! All of this custom internal work will NOT work with the stock computer, so you will need to focus on how you can make all of those neat, expensive parts work together in unison and create maximum performance output. Lots of wiring and hours and hours of tuning will be required.
Agreed on the "do something different", but when you get down to it, building this A series just doesn't make sense dollar per horsepower.

As far as management: Probably a stand alone AEM unit or similar.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Good luck with your build! I priced out some custom titanium rods for a D-series once at 450 per rod.. And that's with machinist/engineering hookups..
Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really, really appreciate all you guys' responses.
I really wanna keep this Motor
I'm really dedicated to this Motor, all I need to find is an Engine Builder.
I'm aware of the costs, and I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for the work that I particularly want done.

As far as swapping for a B, or an H or a K, why?
Because I can make more HP VS the cost of building my original Engine?
I don't care that a K24 would be simpler and make more Power. I mean, not really though, because I look at it like this;

It's gonna have to all be completely and absolutely re-wired anyway regardless, and that's gonna be extra $$$ on top of the cost of the engine. Things would be no more or less complicated or expensive, either or IMO...
But I'm not even concerned about "this engine" or "that engine" costing "this much" or "that much" making X amount of power compared to a Bored & Stroked, Ported Headed, Big Cammed, B-Series OBX ITB'd, Alky Control 100% Meth Injected, CRY02 Liquid Nitrogen Injected, Nitroused, Domed Piston 14.1-15.1 Compression A20A3, that's what I want, PERIOD.

I also wanna Convert from Distributor to Coil-Over-Plugs, Mezire B-Series Electric Water Pump, some type of Powermaster High Torque Starter, some kind of High Amp Alternator, the Big 3 Big 4 Upgrade, OBVIOUSLY some kind of Stand-Alone Engine Management Unit, either or; AEM, Megasquirt, Crome, Neptune, Hondata, Motec, either of those options...

THE MOST DIE-HARD HONDA CAMP ON THE WEST COAST!!!
King Motorsports Unlimited, Inc. - Mugen Performance Products for Honda and Acura
4 Piston Racing | Custom CNC Ported Cylinder Heads and Racing Engines
KMOD - Home - Asheboro, NC

Last edited by MaxxedOutNA; 07-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

How much power do you think you are gonna make out of a N/A A-series?
Old 07-04-2018, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
How much power do you think you are gonna make out of a N/A A-series?
I don't know man.
AGAIN, I'm not looking for any specific HP/TQ #s.
I just wanna find an Engine Machine Shop that knows Hondas and can Machine & Hone & Blueprint and Balance my Block, as well as getting a Custom Stroker Crank Rods & Pistons and that can get me right...
Old 07-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you're just doing it to do it, you don't care about actually making interesting power or parts availability? No power goals, just want to dump money into a 29 year old chassis and engine? Then knock yourself out. Good luck.

Last edited by thisguyaves; 07-04-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why I came here though, to get information, not Criticism.
It seems like people on here are more interested in telling other people what to do with their builds than helping them with whatever they're trying to do

All I was wanting to know is, who can I talk to about getting a Custom Made Crank, Rods & Pistons for an A20A3, PERIOD. Not whether or not it's worth building or not, or that I should put "this" motor in or "that" motor in.
That's not what I'm aiming for here

This is a 1989 Honda Accord LX-i with the original #s matching Motor AND the Trans as well. I don't wanna swap it PERIOD. I thought I made that clear, but I guess certain people on here don't agree with what I'm wanting to do, although that's fine, people can feel how they wanna feel, but that's not gonna make me change my mind about what I wanna do, PLUS, it's MY money, not any of you alls, MINES. You understand? I can do whatvever the hell I wanna do.

Are you gonna turn down a guy with say a 91 CRX Si with the Original D16A6 Who would want to do something smililar?!?!? I mean, come on people.....
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxxedOutNA
I don't know man.
AGAIN, I'm not looking for any specific HP/TQ #s.
I just wanna find an Engine Machine Shop that knows Hondas and can Machine & Hone & Blueprint and Balance my Block, as well as getting a Custom Stroker Crank Rods & Pistons and that can get me right...
I asked to see what your goal was. If you are ok with spending 5k for 130-140whp, then by all means, do your thing. It's your build and you are fond of that chassis and engine. I've been there before.
However if 200whp is the goal, I'm afraid you are out of luck.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
I asked to see what your goal was. If you are ok with spending 5k for 130-140whp, then by all means, do your thing. It's your build and you are fond of that chassis and engine. I've been there before.
However if 200whp is the goal, I'm afraid you are out of luck.
^

Nobody builds this engine. Everything you get will be custom. Find a machine shop near you that's willing to try. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

That's why I came here though, to get information, not Criticism.
It seems like people on here are more interested in telling other people what to do with their builds than helping them with whatever they're trying to do
A typical answer from another member will be both; criticism and advice..
All I was wanting to know is, who can I talk to about getting a Custom Made Crank, Rods & Pistons for an A20A3, PERIOD. Not whether or not it's worth building or not, or that I should put "this" motor in or "that" motor in.
That's not what I'm aiming for here
This will never happen. A decent builder will want to know your goals and some won't do **** until they know them.
This is a 1989 Honda Accord LX-i with the original #s matching Motor AND the Trans as well. I don't wanna swap it PERIOD. I thought I made that clear, but I guess certain people on here don't agree with what I'm wanting to do, although that's fine, people can feel how they wanna feel, but that's not gonna make me change my mind about what I wanna do, PLUS, it's MY money, not any of you alls, MINES. You understand? I can do whatvever the hell I wanna do.
Which is all fine and well, but remember, you opened yourself up for suggestions when you made your idea public on the internet.
Are you gonna turn down a guy with say a 91 CRX Si with the Original D16A6 Who would want to do something smililar?!?!? I mean, come on people.....
It seems as you may not have done much research because the Honda community is chock full of people pushing toward bandwagons. I had aspirations JUST like yours once; hit the SAME brick wall you're hitting; eventually gave in for a more common platform. You'll always face the crowds that point you in the same direction they are going and will just totally deny your existence if you don't follow the same steps they did. It's a sad, true reality. You'll have to either take all the hits right on the chin while you're trying to reach your goals; buckle and give in to the pressure, or just turn around and walk away..
Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

You're gonna have a bad time.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your point is not comparable to your situation. A D16A6 is a common and proven platform that can reach 500 hp on the right boost and a good tune. There's aftermarket support for it, and has compatibility with other D series engines for upgrades and engine internals.

To answer your ORIGINAL question, "does anyone know a good machine shop that can do this?" No. And probably nobody will know of one, because most of us get aftermarket parts for better-known engines instead of custom cut stuff. Hop on google and go find some yourself. I *think* crower custom-builds cams and cranks if you give them all the specs, but you need to know what those are (journal sizes, length, diameter, spacing, lobe eight, duration degrees, etc etc etc.) Do some hardcore research. I think most of us came on a little hard because we all know how unrealistic you're being. But if you have no aspirations except to dump money into this car, then yeah. It is your money. I can tell my friend not to build his yugo, but if he has more money than sense...
Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you bore the block out to 83 mm you can use B series Pistons that have 21 mm wrist pins and you can use B18a/b eaglerods. If you're going for over 200 horsepower you have to boost
Old 07-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely look in to engine management your best option is to convert to OBD1 and use Neptune or hondata or aem stand-alone but that's kind of pricey
Old 07-31-2018, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you crazy dog but it's your money and time, why so loyal to a non proven engine that no one mods, why are you re-inventing the wheel for no gain, there is no market for these.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cupajoe
you crazy dog but it's your money and time, why so loyal to a non proven engine that no one mods, why are you re-inventing the wheel for no gain, there is no market for these.
these motors have been up to 500 horsepower almost 600. they can be fully built there's plenty of Parts you can get. It's not Reinventing the wheel if it's already been done. It's actually cheaper to Turbo one of these than it is to do a b swap
Old 07-31-2018, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My bad go the 83mm route! Nice!!!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3geez.com is where all the informations at