Notices

Lint and Foreign Material

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lint and Foreign Material

How do you guys keep this to a minimum when you're building a motor? I always hear "use lint-free towels" and ish like that but then I see ppl using the standard Blue Shop Towels by Scott!? And those things are by no means lint-free. I'm in the process of completing my first build and I can't for the life of me get this damn thing CLEAN? It's like everytime I look at it I see something else; a piece of lint, a tiny speck of dirt, or some other FM! So I'm just curious what you guys use, or have used in the past, to get your block, crank, bearings, journals, etc..etc.. clean before assembly?

Oh and one other thing that's in the same vein as this, is my main caps and girdle. I'm building a F22B2 and the main caps have the sharpest, most jagged, raggedy, casting edge alongside the journals! And this thing just SHREDS any and everything it comes into contact with! Which is making it very difficult to wipe down. Every time you take a rag or towel across it, it just grabs a boatload of fibers or lint, some of which I can't even pull back out with my fingers!? Have any of you encountered this or similar problems while building you bottom end? And if so what did you do to remedy the problem? I'm considering taking a rasp across it a few times but I'm reluctant to do so because of it's close proximity to the main journals...? Idk? Any input here would be great and as always thank you in advance.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lint and Foreign Material

The pink Wypalls work pretty well IMO.
After cleaning the block with dawn soapy water and a scrubber, drying, and oiling everything up, a garbage bag goes over it and tied shut. Then a second garbage bag over that loosely tied.
The only time it sees light is when it's being worked on. Every other part is cleaned and bagged if needed too. Basically keep it dust free like a true clean room.
In all reality though, those tiny fibers shouldn't hurt anything and will get caught by the filter.
As for the sharp edges, you can safely debur pretty much anything thats not a machined surface. It's a good practice in my mind. Did it to my current build.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pyro thx for the reply man. My father just said something very similar in terms of the lint particles, he said I'm just being "extremely ****" I guess I just want to do it right the first time? Anyway, about the deburring; would you say die-grinder, a Dremel type tool, or a rasp/file? It's REALLY close to the journals... like literally on the edge of them. It's kind of hard to explain but on the main caps the journals are slightly elevated and have their own edge, which is right next to the actual edge of the cap, and it's that actual edge of the cap that has this fkn steak knife type of effect going on! So it's a pretty shady spot for any kind of tool but I'm leaning towards something small and accurate. Or maybe just leaving it alone and just cleaning it off as best I can. Hey man, again, Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not use any power tools personally. Chances of slipping and hitting something probably increases. I would just use a red scotch brite pad to take any burs or flashing from inside the block. Just be careful around the machined surfaces and you should be fine. And clean the block really well after all the deburring. Don't want any abrasive material floating around.
Good luck!
Old 10-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use plain old paper towels. They won't really leave anything behind, and they're supposed to be soluble in oil.

I always deburr before machining, and I deburr everything. I'd like to say the main reason I do it is because sharp edges can be stress risers and a starting point for a crack, which is true, but mainly I'm like you and hate when those sharp edges catch on a paper towel or cut the **** out of my fingers. It looks really good too to have an aluminum block all deburred too.