Engine smoke woes d16A

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine smoke woes d16A

Burning oil, fresh rebuild, I ran it stock and was breaking it in for 30 miles so far, seen the clouds of smoke and put her back to rest, added the turbo kit and getting it ready for dyno break in instead, so instead of going straight to piston rings which are new, I'm starting at the head, which looks insanely wet on three cylinders and one is nice and dry.

I did take apart the head and put it back together my self, new valve stem seals, but I did not place the valves back in original places, obviously I did exhaust to exhaust and intake to intake but not at their original seats, could this be the problem ? Any extra info just ask

D16a - y8 head
JE Pistons
Eagle rods
450cc injectors
Acl race bearings
Wiseco rings
New oem oil pump
New oem water pump
All seals new on block
Greddy 15g td04 turbo
Greddy intercooler
Greddy BOV
P06 chipped + basemap

Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Engine smoke woes d16A

Holy Hell! my last setup was burning a quart every 100-200 miles and didnt even look anywhere near that bad lol.

What seals are you using? I strongly recommend Supertech seals.

the valves no going back in their original locations could be contributing, but definitely wouldnt make it that bad. my guess is either the seals are crap, or you tore the seals during install, or the guides are totally shot, or the valve stems are badly scored or something.
piston rings not sealing could also cause it. did you have the block bored/honed to match new oversize pistons, and file-fit the rings to specific ring end gaps? if so, what gaps did you use? and what piston to wall clearance is it set to?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by def90man
I did take apart the head and put it back together my self, new valve stem seals, but I did not place the valves back in original places, obviously I did exhaust to exhaust and intake to intake but not at their original seats, could this be the problem ?
Did you lap the valves?

If you did not lap the valves they are not mated to the seats. Long term, burnt valve forecasted.

Could also be a contributor to burning up the new valve seals as the valves won't seal properly.

Actually looking at the pics, doesn't look like oil on the valve stems so doesn't appear to be oil coming from the top. But it does look like a serious amount of carbon build up in the intake and exhaust runner area very quickly. This really makes me think you are getting substantial leaking around all the valves like combustion gasses getting past the valves consistently.

The other area you could be getting oil is through the PCV system if there is no catch can and you have excessive blow by.

Last edited by TomCat39; 02-19-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Potential cylinder hone problem?
With the engine running, do you get a lot of crankcase pressure when you take the oil cap off?