Notices

Cometic headgasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cometic headgasket leak

I was trying to break in my engine today and I had to stop because I knocked a rocker arm out of place and it made a horrifying noise... I stopped and put the rocker arm back in place. I checked valve clearance before hand though and it was in spec. I have Brian Crower dual valve springs and retainers. And Brian Crower valves as well. I also replaced the valve guides and valve seals with new ones. Along with a three angle valve job. 1990 B18A1 Block and head. OBD1 P74 ECU IN A 1994 Integra coupe. GSR/ DC2 LSD transmission. Stock cams stock injectors. BWR catch can/box. (I plan going turbo) I went a little higher in the compression 9.6:1 wiseco. And eagle rods. If I remember precisely I went with the cometic 3 layer headgasket. I read that cometic headgaskets are good headgaskets but people mess up the torquing sequence. And I must have because I got coolant all in the oil. I torqued it with my old school torque wrench with the big needle on it. But I have a craftsman digital now and that should make for a better torque wrench. I’m hoping I can simply take the nuts off. Re torque the studs into the head and then re torque the nuts carefully in the sequence how I’m supposed to. Or should I take the head off, copper spray and all that? The head and block were decked at machine shops and are level. I’m also going to drop the oil pan and check my bottom end assembly for any bad signs. I’m pretty sure I caught the issue before messing something bottom end up. I never heard a knock of any sort. Just that rocker arm making a disctinct rattleing noise for maybe 10 seconds before I killed it. I also have a CSS (cylinder support system) in the block. Am I supposed to have a particular head gasket? Any input is appreciated! Here to learn... thanks guys!

Last edited by lolv8s; 07-28-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cometic headgasket leak

And also I've found this forum. https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-specs-953151/
( CYLINDER HEAD BOLT TORQUE SPECS (tightening) / (loosening)
8, 4, 2, 6, 10 <---intake order 3, 7, 9, 5, 1
7, 3, 1, 5, 9 <---exhaust order 4, 8, 10, 6, 2 )

but then again I've found this order too. What's in Snake's Head? - Snakeyez

I feel like these are kind of same same but different? Just don't want too much pressure being placed on a bolt when taking off / putting on the head so you take them off in that order so the pressure is dispersed and equal. But if anyone could recommend personally or through past experience, I would appreciate it! and on a second note, I could have checked the valve clearance incorrectly. I will check again. Thoroughly.

Last edited by lolv8s; 04-29-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Cometic headgasket leak

Hmmm.. Not super versed on the B-series but as for D-series, rocker panel bolts have nothing to do with the head bolts and are totally separate. have you pulled the valve cover off to visually inspect everything? Or is your issue concerning the headgasket? Kinda confusing Your potential gasket issue is why I did NOT use Cometic, just saying.. Anywho.. Clarify your issue please?