B16A3 83mm

Old 08-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default B16A3 83mm

Hey guys I believe i found a good deal, but I need advice on what to look for. I found a b16a3 block bored to 83mm darton mid sleeve, crower rods, eagle crank, arias pistons ERL girdle. other goodies..the short block complete 0 miles never used for $1800. I'm going to look at the block before I buy it and I would like some advice on what to look for?? I just want to make sure I dont get screwed. The block looks brand new in the pictures. The guy never finished his project car. Any advice will help thanks.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A3 83mm

Bring a straight edge with you and hold it over the block to try to confirm it has a flat deck.

Shine a light and try to confirm that all the bolt threads are good for the head studs and other accessories, and that nothing has been stripped or helicoiled.

Try shaking a piston with your hand and make sure there's not too much play/movement. Won't really tell you too much unless they used some ridiculously loose p2w clearance, but can't hurt to try.

Ask them if they had the Eagle crank machined before they installed it. I know people have had problems before with buying aftermarket crankshafts (Eagle and Brian Crower in particular I think) where they still have metal shavings or some form of blockage/debris in the oil passages straight from the manufacture before they're installed. Make sure those have been checked and cleaned out.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. He mentioned that the rotating assembly was balanced but i will ask about the machining. Also for paperwork from ERL because they did the sleeving. Thank you
Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also try to rotate the crank by hand just to make sure everything seems gucci with the pistons traveling up and down. Basically just check for obvious problems. You're taking at least somewhat of a risk regardless, but could very well be worth it. That's a decent price for (theoretically) a bulletproof block.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id say buy the block and ditch that eagle crank and put an oem inside. Eagle cranks are timebomb.
If its stroked youll have trouble sine you ll also need oem lenth rods.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: