Notices

B16a2 cylinder scoring

Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B16a2 cylinder scoring

While i was in the process of installing pistons into the cylinder #4, i kinda forcefully forced one of the piston with a bad ring setup into the cylinder... causing it to scored my cylinder wall. now i know that typically when your cylinders suffers from scores such as the one i have you should do the routine engine work like honing boring, and etc... But, however, i'm kinda broke right now and nor do i have the time to have it worked on again to address the issue, so my question is that, "can i still run it without having any major issues"? And, if so, how long can i still drive this thing until i need to over hauled the motor again? Also, what about the power? Am i gonna be experiencing any power loss because of it? If so, then how much am i expecting? Keep in mind this is a rebuild engine with a fresh, but used...head and bottom. In addition to that the pistons and rings are all new.

There's 2 deep score visible from this picture. The scores themselves can be noticeably felt by running my fingers along the it.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16a2 cylinder scoring

you could always risk it and just slap it all back together and run the engine to find out how it performs.. but why bother? if you're at the stage where you can easily pull out the piston and at the very least do a quick honing of the effected cylinder then it's definitely worth doing. imagine putting it all back together and running the engine to find out that you're burning oil and have no compression in that cylinder. then the engine will need tearing down anyway.
if the scores are noticeable enough to feel by hand then imagine a piston ring moving over the ridge of the score a few thousand times as soon as you start the engine up. you could do much worse damage to the cylinder wall if you risk it
Old 07-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16a2 cylinder scoring

You probably are going to lose some combustion pressure from the way you describe it and from the looks of it.

You should have stopped when you felt resistance.