Notices

1999 prelude engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 prelude engine swap

So I posted a thread I'm kind of embarrassed of when I first joined this forum back in June. For those who didn't see it I basically asked how to turbo charge a type sh automatic prelude for around 450hp. (I know, I cringe reading this now.) Since then I have done quite a bit of research, and have more knowledge on this car and Honda modifications in general.

So I'm closing a deal to get a 1999 prelude base 5 speed for $2400. 120k miles. So here is what I'm thinking for possible modifications in the future.

I am debating whether to do a jswap or a kswap into the car. A lot of the downsides to the j swap don't really apply to the 5g prelude, since the engine bay is much larger than eg hatches, hood cutting isnt required, and the torque shouldn't be a problem since the prelude is on the heavier side. I wanted to build a j36 engine: j35a3 block, pistons, and heads, j33a2 cams, j37a1 crank, rods, and bearings. Would expect around 300 hp and high 200s for torque. With buying parts from Acura oem parts.com and ebay, possibly make the build for around 5 - 6k. Rpm systems harness custom made and innotave motor mounts would be needed too.

My other option I am considering would be to just buy a 4piston crate engine, specifically the k24 k360 for street use on pump gas. I would call up hasport to make some custom motor mounts and have a ecu harness fabricated by someone qualified on the internet lol. This option would be more expensive, but the quality of the work done by 4piston would be phenomenal. 360hp on a n/a 4cylinder high reving engine would be cool. Not to mention that finding transmissions would be ALOT easier. Plus with the smaller block, there would be "so much more room for activities!" Plus it would look really clean and simple.

So what do u guys think? Should I go for a torque monster or stick to the tried and true k swap. Again, this is mainly going to be a street car daily driver, but I want it to be fast for when I want to have some fun.

​​​​Sorry for double post. I just wanted to get this on a section which had the most qualified people to answer since the people on the prelude section mostly talk about the h22.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: 1999 prelude engine swap

This section is about precision machine shop work.

i.e. sleeving a motor, machine shop type assembly with line honing, etc., things of that nature.

Either the N/A section or the Forced Induction section would serve you better if the Prelude section isn't going to be of service.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would move this thread to the prelude section, it's much more applicable there i think.

Personally, my suggestion would be to just boost a F/H engine. way more torque, quieter exhaust, much more power on demand, and it'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable to drive in that it'd drive like stock at part throttle.
specifically, get an f22 shortblock and get a blockguard machined-installed, rebuild with forged pistons 0.5mm oversize from factory bore, use the stock rods if staying under 400tq. Then take the h22 head off the motor that comes in the car, rebuild it with stiffer springs, keep the stock cams or use type s cams, 3-angle valve job including reconditioning the valve heads, ARP head studs, and slap in on the f22 bottom end. Then buy a decent turbo kit, and don't skimp out on the ecu or the tune.
I'd bet you could have an extremely reliable daily driver making 450hp/350tq for waaaay less than your above ideas. and it'd be a HELL of a lot more comfortable to drive normally. and no need for custom mounts, custom wiring, swap harness, or tranny issues or anything.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

He already has this same thread in the Prelude section and they told him most the "lude" guys don't know the K motor as they deal in the H22 typically.

I think you hit the nail on the head perfectly and I can close this thread.

If OP wishes to go Forced Induction (FI) as you suggested, OP can start a thread in the FI section or stick to the lude section.