Notices
Drift Zone Enthusiasts of the drifting phenomenon

Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"quasimoto"... hahaha. Good to see that you're making some progress on this. *thumbsup*
Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 12-12-2008 : Not much progress

Well, there have been some recent s13 into s14 posts on zilvia.

s13 sr into s14 wiring

Figured I'd post some more random pictures about wiring... Car wiring is pretty ****ing complex imo. I wish I had all day to play around with cars and do this lol. Too bad everyone is cheap asses and that's why the people who do offer these services do it on the side or are all out of state. Boo!!!

So I got my workspace all ready, got my mucho mango Arizona juice can! and worked on the car until I ran out of juice LOL (literally)

So I will tackle all of this on the weekend and prepare the harness for sleeving and wire repair where there are like 30 junctions.

Some of the stuff on GXRJordans diagram are not loomed into my upper harness or were ingeniously hacked into other plugs that aren't supposed to be powering those devices but did the same function... +v and -v lol godamn you people that understand electronics!

Anyway so I took the simple write up I posted in another thread.

yeah, so the F10(SR) plug and the F8(SR) plug are making my head hurt, I got the f10(SR) plug all matted up and ready for it to make love to the F3(KA) plugs wires...

I taped the wires from the engine harness and the ones from the f3 plug that will be joined so I can do all of the soldering and **** later and they're out of the way and separated from all of the other wires. That way I can have someone double check my work before I proceed.

LOL if you don't have a picture, now you have a substitute on your how to.

hahahahahahah!

WTF IS THIS???? can I cut it out, de-pin it from the harness plug, does it serve a purpose, honestly, it's going to bug the **** out of me if I need to keep this. Well not really but yeah can I cut it out?

Lastly the F8 plug is where my headache is, it looks like on this little how to that I will be using the 4 wire. But my wire is either burnt or faded, but I ****ing swear it's a green wire with a blue stripe and it is ****ing with my color identifiers or something in my head like that kool aid from back in the day that was like green but when you added water it turned blue? You know what I'm saying.

Anyway I'll have some more progress tonight to share. Stay tuned kids!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

" go wayyyne... Go wayyyne... Go wayyyne... Go wayyyne " ( no homo ) hahahaa u fukka
Old 12-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne, please remove all toes from future photos thanx...lol
Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by s@nt0s
wayne, please remove all toes from future photos thanx...lol
+100,000
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 12-13-2008

Alright, I had jotted up like my update and what not, stepped away from my computer, my roomate started to use my computer, froze it downloading illegal movies to it and what not (no wonder why my scratch disc space got low). So yeah he restarted my computer and my **** got lost. GRR!!!!

Friday night I got home from work after getting my girlfriend some wine, headed to the garage to do the dirty with my car. So I've been going back and forth with this one cat trying to figure out this wiring harness madness, lets just say I hope my car fires up the first time no problems. I'm double, tripple, quadruple checking the pin outs, what wires belong to before I do any permanent (well more like I don't want to re-solder anything.) damage.

oh yeah, this image doesn't works on the faq.

this one either.

remember if you need the f3 plug pinout then this is your best friend right here.

Aright, got my ac wiring laid out, GXRJordan said there is a pinout difference between the Zenki and Kouki 240's we shall see since my car secretly was a Zenki at some point, but lets not talk about that horrible time shall we

close up with re-done pin out.

white electrical tape is so win!

Ideally this is what the f7-f9 to f3 plug is supposed to look like. + a ring terminal for your ground which should be the orange cable if I can remember correctly off of the top of my head, sorry I'm tired and delusional right now.

Instrument cluster wires on the f3 are all separated, and also on the ecu plug they're ready to go, I just need to do the wire extension and we should be set on that.

alright... I think I'm going to do the length elimination in the bay and leave the engine harness wires the same (I pulled the extra slack into the cabin.)

Anyway started around 2pm yesterday, did about 9 hours of soldering, purchased about 50 dollars worth of wiring I may or may not need, need more heat shrink, need a new needle for my soldering iron, need a shower... Oh and I need to go to ****ing sleep, it's 4:15am right now.

I tried not to take over the upstairs loft again by laying my **** out on the floor, and now that we have a pit bull puppy that likes to chew up wires to ****, leaving my harness on the floor is out of the question.

so here is the f9 plug, which I decided I will move in the cabin pre-grommet with the wiper amp.

I didn't have a vast selection of color for the wires I used on the harness. I had 18ga and 20ga wire... the faq said to use 16-18 but half of the wire on the harness is 20ga, and most of it is 18ga. The black/red power cable is about 12-14ga I'm sure I bought some 12ga wire but it wasn't needed after all.

Alright wiper amp stuff all done, put some masking tape on it just to tidy up the wires for now since my workspace is limited. As if it wasn't already very obvious, working with a lot of wires at once is very intimidating and annoying. But now I'm like a semi-pro at de-pinning and doing heat shrink on sweet solder. Ring terminal was added for the ground.

f2 plug finished.

Now the fun part... the ignition power, and coil power, to power (F3-1), this one took a while for the solder to finally penetrate ALL of the wire... yeah good ****ing luck getting heat shrink over that one. I electrical taped it.

Alright, lets join our f10 wiring... I refrained from adding extensions to most of the wires beyond the wiper plugs from the ka harness just due to the plain fact that we have at least a foot of harness we can eliminate for cleanliness. No point in making stuff you're going to cut longer.

Oh, I noticed on this other harness I'm trying to replicate he had all of these plugs in the cabin, I now realized what they were. The wiper amp (KA-F9) and also the SR Igniter plugs, I threw them in the cabin too. I couldn't figure out where in the engine bay to put them without annoying me or drilling even more holes in the sheet metal. I just don't want it exposed to the engine bay since a replacement is nearly 400 bucks.

Yeah, I'm going to find this ****, and de-pin it...

back to this...

Yeah, I cant pull it through the grommet since the wires are tangled in this bastardization of wires called an engine harness. So I'll have to depin the ground, marked with green tape so it doesn't get lost in abyss.

viola

and now the ignition chip and cables are in the engine bay, the coil pack plug has enough space from the grommet to mat up to the sub harness for the coil packs.

I also had some wires "left over" from the plugs I had to trace back to the engine plugs to find out WTF they were going to, a lot of them were just in random ground junctions but were never originally going to anything when I pulled the motor. I'm sure some of these things were going to that jig rig *** fan relay I pulled off of the car in an earlier post...

you will not be missed. Anyway here is a list of things besides the instrument cluster that still remain on the f3 plug.... that's it for today, I'm spent.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build sooo far!keep it up
Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG wiring!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap. That's the one thing I don't thing I have the patience for. I'd probably get someone else to deal with this wiring crud if it was me. Hats off to you!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't get much done when I woke up...

Just cleaning up wire, going to shorten the harness sometime this week when my **** gets in, hook it up and test it, somehow lol.

Then i'm going to do mechanical **** next weekend... yeah right who am I kidding, I'm re-locating the fusebox next weekend and wiring up my accessories so i can run jdm kouki signals. Since I never ran them before!!!

ok.

found it's base, snipped the two other grounds off and re-taped this.

now the ecu has this insulated wire running through it. I'm debating on eliminating it or keeping it. I really don't even see how it ties into the harness or saves it from electrical interference of any sort. Especially if the wire is hacked up on both ends, doesn't that kind of defeat it's purpose?

One of those insulated signal and ground wires is hacked into 4 plugs... 3 which I removed, one I am keeping which is the MAF which is running a single LEGIT ground off of it. I am going to replace the wire on the other two plugs from the harness to this plug itself, just need to measure how much wire I need since I'm running this plug around the back of the engine by itself.

yeah... just so you can get my point of view... this is what I'm dealing with... Have fun tracing an insulated wire back to what it's hacked into.

If you think this stuff is hard, try to satisfy your girlfriends craving for Cuban food when you're not in LA and have no idea where the **** to find the stuff she wants to eat. Luckily I found some little Cuban food joint that just opened up on Archibald and 6th food was pretty good. A little on the pricey side, but it wasn't chain restaurant food served with a false smile and hopes of a good tip.

"daddy I want to have flan too." - envy

alright guys, I'll have more updates during the week, hopefully some of this stuff was pretty helpful.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Phi (nrg) came over, looked the **** over, the harness is good to go, laid out out in the engine bay. Just need to finish soldering up the instrument cluster to the f3 plug, finish eliminating any stale wires not going to **** wrapped in electrical tape junctions of doom. We sat and bullshitted for a minute, he took off at 1am.

De-pinned, untangled, re-pinned, arranged left side of the bay harness tonight, it's pretty much ready to loom up.

tomorrow night I'll do the passenger side of the harness, take some pictures that wont make sense. and go to sleeeeeep!

it's 3:32 am, going to hop in the shower and put my work clothes on and go to sleep lol.

oh and threw a shot in of my engine all cleaned up and ready to fire up.

yeah... I wish.

till tomorrow.

Last edited by 137; 12-18-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gah s14 madness in here

gl with the build, i have a soft spot for kouki s14's
Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geez wayne that looks crazy.

let me know if u find anyone looking for an automatic (aka virgin chassis) 1st owner 137k mile 1995 SE.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM
The Boot

I am in to watch this thread for a while...

thats a lot of pics!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tip of the day... de-pinning the grey orange connectors... they have an orange retainer clip that holds the pin on one side, this needs to be lifted, while it's lifted you take your micro flat head or (safety pin) and the retainer flap should be right at the opening, just like shoveling.

ease it in, lift, pull wire, bam it takes a few tries but once you get it down it's butta!

grouping the wires really tight and binding it in sections where it should wrap through the engine. This sequence of wires should all slide through the intake manifold for the tps sensor, and whatever was next to it again (lol it's late) and the cam angle sensor plug that goes across the front of the engine. I wanted to mount it around the hot side of the engine but it was too much work and really nowhere to hide it. =(

another angle.

just visually feeling it out.

another angle... the whole harness is pretty much single snake sections like this... the ****ing ground wires are getting on my last nerves though since I cant really "de-pin" them and they're all jointed so it's like unbraiding hair maneuvering wires through them. After I finish this up I'll do a final test fit and pull the excess through back into the engine bay by the firewall.

I'll then take measurements to share in case anyone else is crazy enough to do this in the future.

Then I work on the inside, labeling every wire, numbering it and then de-pinning them from each plug that they go to and untangling them, shortening as necessary and then re-pinning them. In the meantime I need to take measurements for my battery set up and also test to make sure this all works. Once that is said and done I will begin the fuse box relocation. For now it can stay in the engine bay.

Since I need to get started on the body work, I wont have time to take on the electrical projects so at least I'll have time to plan it out.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
shit post warrior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG......just when I thought this S14 was a cluster****!

Looks like all your persistence will pay off, 137.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyway just a small update before I dive into replacing and repairing and documenting **** tomorrow.

Needed to shorten and repair this mess from a previous entry.

So I cut off all of those other plugs, every last one of those varmits! Yes I did! I untangled the wires, took out about 1 foot of wire and re did the connections between the insulated wire, then sleeved it...

But first, got home and my center caps were here. Ordered from e-autosports on ebay, shipped my **** out to me next day, give or take a few bucks I could've gotten a better deal if I would've waited.

I'll get a picture of these in the sun tomorrow.

Now back to the harness...

This is what was left once I cut all of that other nonsense off.

this is what I removed.

So lets make it nice and tight shall we? I'll show you what i did to get this far on the next connection. (before any electricians come and bash my work, the harness downsized in wiring grades before I owned it, I saw no reason to change that since it worked before.)

sliding on my heat shrink onto the wire for later use.

viola connector side done.

Now lets do the other side!

I take the razor blade and make a slit in the sleeving.

I break it open and then I peel it back.

Lets move this out of the way.

and peel this back.

stripping.

Now to do the harness end.

now to use this neato thing I nabbed at the electronics store.

when soldering, a tip my dad gave me was to heat the wire up from the bottom first a little bit before you apply the solder, this way it will heat up and melt through.

then after you have a solid layer on top, slide the tip back and forth on the bottom and remove excess solder if necessary.

Now we're going to pack it, and then roll it up.

first lets take the heat gun to the heat shrink (confession : I just slid my soldering iron on all previous applications of heat shrink. It's what I had at the time, this heat gun belongs to my mom.

packed and rolled.

then heatshrunk

here is everything taped up with the ground wire that goes with it.

lets go ahead and sleeve this ya?

after getting that on (oh btw it was a perfect cut/measure by myself haha! I taped up the ends so they wouldn't fray) and prepared to add on the grommet for the plug and then the plug and it's connector.

bam all plugged in.

grommet attached to plug, **** it I'm falling asleep typing so it's bedtime.

Tune in tomorrow

thanks for looking.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, nice work Wayne. Very informative.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are an awesome worker, but you seriously couldve and shouldve just bought a REAL KOUKI with a SR for 8300. with as many clean s14s there are to play with, i dont know why you bought this one!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OEM-
you are an awesome worker, but you seriously couldve and shouldve just bought a REAL KOUKI with a SR for 8300. with as many clean s14s there are to play with, i dont know why you bought this one!
the parts it came with, granted you cant put a price on a vehicle due to modifications you made to it.

the kazz 2way lsd, 600 dollars worth of greddy gauges (for sale soon lol), the top fuel 3 inch cat back exhaust, catco cat, jic flat coilovers, the conversion parts. The Volk GTU's (my favorite wheels ever)

I could've gotten a real kouki for a lot less, maybe 2-3 thousand less give or take. But honestly who cares, right not your money. I'm trying to stimulate the economy a bit lol.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:09 PM
shit post warrior

Originally Posted by 137

the kazz 2way lsd,
Is that on your S14 already or do you plan on installing? If not, you'll "love" making turns at low speed.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ITRbroham
Is that on your S14 already or do you plan on installing? If not, you'll "love" making turns at low speed.
it's on the car already, people think the car is going to fall apart when they hear klank, klank, klank lol
Old 12-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow this **** takes a long ****ing time... it's now 8:51 I started around 3pm, still have a headache, need some godamned coffee!

anyway lets get this going...

wheels as promised in the sun, my digital camera sucks =(

well yeah, next time I show them to you they will be mounted on the car...

My girlfriend is a clean freak and made me put my mess away, and then decided to be cute and organize my workspace... I cant see **** here when the sun goes down so I will throw it all back into the middle of our loft. She's so crazy!!!

Wiper plug f7

o2 sensor plug done.

ground junction almost done.

ok done and done, ground, ground, iacv

all strung out...

so basically now I will put it in the engine, tape it where I want to further group the wire and use the larger size loom I have and slide it over these mini ones. **** will never rub apart!!!

oh, picked up a nismo thermostat from a local cat today for 20 bones bnib, heck yes!

oh yeah, I wear Honda mechanic shirts while working on my car, 08 bandwagoner here! Hence engine bay sleeving, wire tucks and new driver stickers j/k (**** those stickers)

peace.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:42 PM
shit post warrior

Dude has "137" embroidered on his shirt......LOL!

Quick Reply: Simone - my 1996 240sx Build Thread