Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Wheelie bar mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelie bar mounts

Has anybody mounted the bottom part of the wheelie bars to the single axle in the rear ..??? And if so how does it work ,, good or bad ,,,Some pics please
Old 01-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (lovitalracer)

i dont see that working
Old 01-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lovitalracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anybody mounted the bottom part of the wheelie bars to the single axle in the rear ..??? And if so how does it work ,, good or bad ,,,Some pics please </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats how Bisi has his mounted. I think if it were setup correctly it would really work well. As the axle rises up in the body, it would pull the wheelie bar down. This is a good question, and I look forward to the responses, as I have wanted to try this as well.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (Robb)

That's my same thought ,,, I've raced Bisi and never took the time to look at his set up .. I'm always behind him and notice his car is on rails ... I also have sat there and push the car up and down and it seems like it's gonna work but need some positive thoughts ..
Old 01-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (dmotoguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmotoguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont see that working</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's your logic behind your reply .. ??? inputs!!!

I will post some pics of what I have so far soon ..
Old 01-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, i could be wrong, i was just thinking it through and scratching it out on paper a little bit.. i guess it would depend a lot on the amount of axle movement up and down. it seemed to me like a lot of time and effort to not really gain too much. i think just having stationary wheelie bars set up right is the ticket, but i could be wrong, i am by no means an engineer or anything close to it.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmotoguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont see that working</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree partially. It can be done but the main factor to look at is the amount of horizontal movement from the axle. Depending on the thickness of the straight axle, it might be possible. But with the .058 chromemoly that everyone uses to construct these straight axles, there is no way!! The theory behind it is good, since the axle will move up vertically, this would apply more pressure to the wheelie wheels. If you see our car, you will see what we did to eliminate this problem
Old 01-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (Big_Mike)

This is a picture of my fame ,,, With nothing left in it ,, it still weighed in at 1740 . That's perfect for NHRA but nothing else ,., I'm trying to stay away frome putting more weight into it ,,, I thought about what you have too but weigh is the key here ..

Old 01-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...any new thoughts here?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (Robb)

bump ... my question is specifically for the MB rear axle can it work ?

All the chassis gurus on this board must be able to give input ...

I can post pics of my rear so if anyone cares to give some pointers.

thanks,
Greg
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (CHEETAH)

im no expecrt by any means but it seems kinda dangerous to me...

as the wheelie bar comes into contact with the pavement, it seems like it would lift the rear axle up in the car, yes this is gonna put more weight on the bars, but at the same time, taking weight from the rear tires, causing a potentialy dangerous situation.(spin out)

maybe if the suspension was setup to only have a tiny bit of travel(1 inch) the axle mounted wheelie bar would do an awsome job

.i could be totaly wrong on this so feel freee to correct me if i am wrong
Old 01-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (2.2Lcivic)

The rear end is halla stiff .. maybe one inch travel .. I thought of it this way ..
Even if the bars was hooked up to the frame and when you launch and the bars hit the ground it would be the same too .. Now as the springs compress and the back moves down , the wheels will hit the ground and hold everything the the same positions , having the same reaction .. I could be wrong too .. I finished it already .. Pictures will be posted .. Thanks for all the reply ..
Old 01-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is from the nhra rule book: May be
adjustable, but must be fixed during run. Any movement or
adjustment during run prohibited.

would this make it illegal or am i reading it wrong
Old 01-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The means the bars can not retrack during the run .. The only person that had enough money to do that was Chris Rado ..

My wheelie bars will be at a fix position during the run .. Just mount on the rear Axles .. I see it done all the time in the domestic cars .. I just wanted to know if anybody has done it before in the import world ..
Old 01-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how Lisa and Brents bars are set up. I think they had said that they originally broke the first axle they tried it on, but they went back to the same setup. Maybe Brent will chime in...
Old 01-09-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (4piston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4piston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is how Lisa and Brents bars are set up. I think they had said that they originally broke the first axle they tried it on, but they went back to the same setup. Maybe Brent will chime in...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes we bent our original rear axle in the first test pass of the year. we replaced it with a piece of 1 5/8 roll bar tube and moved the wheel mounting point and didnt have a single problem all year. ill also note that i heard bisi bent a rear axle too. and we had the exact same kit. i dont think theres any safety issue with it being that way. it passed nhra tech so theres no probs there. ill also add i only mounted them there because i didnt want to spend the extra money to get a setup like adams car. but this coming year ours will be similar to his.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (L-B racing)

Brent, what caused the bent rear axle ? the location point being too in the center ?
Would you recommend this agian to anyone or was it just not worth it ? Did it shift your entire rear axle (since everything is bolted to chassis) ?

thanks,
Greg
Old 01-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mounting the bottom bar of the wheelie bars to the straight axle is how warren did it. no lifting of the car or straight axles breaking, 60ft really dropped. lovitalracer you know him, call midnight performance and talk to him about the details on where exactly to mount the wheelie bars so there will be no problems.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (slrh22hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slrh22hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mounting the bottom bar of the wheelie bars to the straight axle is how warren did it. no lifting of the car or straight axles breaking, 60ft really dropped. lovitalracer you know him, call midnight performance and talk to him about the details on where exactly to mount the wheelie bars so there will be no problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey , thanks man ,, I mounted my wheelie bar to the old shock mounts on the MB straight axle . I'm thinking it should work . yes, I know Warren , cool dude ,
but never really paid any attention to his setup .. Next time I see him I'll look at it . Thanks again .
Old 01-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CHEETAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump ... my question is specifically for the MB rear axle can it work ?

All the chassis gurus on this board must be able to give input ...

I can post pics of my rear so if anyone cares to give some pointers.

thanks,
Greg</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cheetah post some pics of your rear end setup ?? I'll post mine today or tomorrow .

Fabman or tony , any thoughts on this ???
Old 01-14-2004, 04:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CHEETAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Brent, what caused the bent rear axle ? the location point being too in the center ?
Would you recommend this agian to anyone or was it just not worth it ? Did it shift your entire rear axle (since everything is bolted to chassis) ?

thanks,
Greg</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm 99% sure it was just the material that the old axle was made of and not actually anything to do with the way they were mounted. they were mounted the same way all this year on the .083 bar and its still straight as an arrow.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheelie bar mounts (L-B racing)

does anyone have some pics or a drawing of how to mount them right?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lovitalracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cheetah post some pics of your rear end setup ?? I'll post mine today or tomorrow .

Fabman or tony , any thoughts on this ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

here are a couple pics of mine, let me know what you guys advise for wheelie bar conversion. I was thinking of the RLR single.

thanks
Greg
Old 01-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can we have some pics of the entire inside of the yellow integra please, the whole chassis.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about this and actually think it's a pretty good idea, but don't think it's a good idea to put it on a straight axle that wasn't designed for it. If you make the straight axle where it's designed to be pulled on like that, then it should work pretty good. There's gonna be alot more stress on the trailing arms to the solid axle, and also a bending force on the axle itself. Using big thick tubing is one way around it, but it's pretty heavy too. All in all, it could be made to work, but i don't think it would work any better than a good solid setup. I like the way Mike and Adams car is done, with tubing brought back from the cage for the mounts.

Quick Reply: Wheelie bar mounts