Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

What Ever Happened to. the PRO RACERS... In CALI

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Ever Happened to. the PRO RACERS... In CALI

Times have changed in the racing scene in Cali. I remember when stands were packed and all the pro guys now who started it all like Lisa Kubo, Jeremy Lookofsky, Kenny Tran, Tony Shagday, Shawn Hiller, Stephan Papadakis, Dr. Charles, Viet Lam, Ed & Ron Bergenholtz, Tony F., Jojo Callos ... etc could be scene at all race events, breaking records back to back. Everyone use to go to Cali races, spectators and racers from Japan and Hawaii too...
Now our scene is dying, taking events away from Cali and now no NHRA, we need you guys to come back and support the local races here like BOTI / IDRC / even CMI. I know that it is costly to run you cars at these events, if you don't want to run them, just display em or just come out and appear at the events. or better yet bring out the old school cars and display them.

We just need your support.....
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Ever Happened to. the PRO RACERS... In CALI (southsideracer)

BOTI is gonna be a great series this season. I have talked to Frank a few times over the past few weeks and he sounds excited about the new BOTI and the positive changes that are taking place. Here in S.D. the guys at the Barona Indian Res are creating a series of their own. Here's a link to check it out.

http://www.baronadrags.com/schedule.shtml

We're in it til the wheels fall off. Haven't heard nothing yet from IDRC but hopefully they will have some events this season. If not , then it's all about Barona , BOTI , and our lil 1/8th mile tracks around town. Either way , it's all about racing ...period. Mo matter where we have to go.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM

I appear at the races and help support racers like Bryan Bridges, Eric Del, Matt B., Move motorsports, Exospeed, 1320-racing and many more. I'm more behind the scenes tuning cars and helping racers /shops achieve their goals. We have supported BOTI, CMI, IDRC and gone to their events the past 2-3 years. And you will see more of me this year

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What Ever Happened to. the PRO RACERS... In CALI (callosracing)

Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What Ever Happened to. the PRO RACERS... In CALI (callosracing)

Like Jojo said, alot of these guys are still in the scene. Maybe not racing, but in some form or another working with manufacturers, tuning, with race teams, or running their racing/shop businesses. etc.

While I do miss the good ol' days, there's plenty of people in the local scene that people should pay attention to. There are plenty that have amazing setups and do good times, theyre just not HYPED up on Honda-Tech or big sponsored teams.

There's a good 40+ 10 sec Turbo Hondas just in Southern California alone. I can probably name them all.. hehe.

But ya, the lack of tracks do prevent us SoCal people from getting out there more. The Real Estate boom in CA just ate up some of these tracks we've had. Maybe with the real estate taking a dump lately, they may reconsider making room for building a track for us to go to.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Ever Happened to. the PRO RACERS... In CALI (ExospeedAMcrx)

i must admit it would be cool to see the old school cars out there. i think everyone on the broad is aware that we need to support the events. weather we race or not. lets see what happens this season. word of mouth and invite everyone out.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kenny Tran - TX Racer, still racing AFAIK, doing quite well in his tC
Ed & Ron Bergenholtz - Still racing and drifting
Jeremy Lookofsky - Still racing
Tony Shagday - Still working at Skunk2
Dr. Charles - Still working at Skunk2
Stephan Papadakis - Drifting
Shawn Hiller - Working with Steph on the Drift program
Jojo Callos - Being a tv superstar running a shop, driving local events, etc

Lisa Kubo, Viet Lam, Tony F. - MIA...