Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

What ecu to run

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ecu to run

Hi everyone new to this Honda game so I need some help I'm swapping my gsr for a jdm b18c itr wanted to stay obd1 but was wondering what ecu to use should I got usdm p72 or jdm p72 1 of my buddies told me to go p28 ecu... just dont know what the difference is or what would b better for a daily drivin (I drive hard af) and would also like to know what clutch is best for this set up was gonna go with exedy pro kit with their 9lbs lighted flywheel any extra info would b greatly appreciated thanx again in advance
Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: What ecu to run

If you want to run a factory ecu, use the JDM p73; it's the correct ecu for the motor. If you want a tuneable ecu, they are not labelled by name, they are simply called a tuneable ecu with vtec and iab control. And if you go with a tuneable ecu, ask your tuner which tuning system to go with, don't ask the public.
DO NOT run the motor with a virgin p28 ecu. You will surely cause damage to the motor. Your friend who suggested a p28 was probably just doing what a large majority of honda owners who lack the proper knowledge do; make blind suggestions, because everyone always talks about getting a chipped p28, which is 1) terrible terminology, and 2) usually bad advice.

Last edited by motoxxxman; 03-01-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
If you want to run a factory ecu, use the JDM p72; it's the correct ecu for the motor. If you want a tuneable ecu, they are not labelled by name, they are simply called a tuneable ecu with vtec and iab control. And if you go with a tuneable ecu, ask your tuner which tuning system to go with, don't ask the public.
DO NOT run the motor with a virgin p28 ecu. You will surely cause damage to the motor. Your friend who suggested a p28 was probably just doing what a large majority of honda owners who lack the proper knowledge do; make blind suggestions, because everyone always talks about getting a chipped p28, which is 1) terrible terminology, and 2) usually bad advice.
He said JDM B18C ITR.....

P06 and P75 (Non-vtec)(OBD1) ecu's would also work, and they're cheaper and easier to find. However, these will need the vtec coneversion kit. If you already have one of these ecu's, I suggest sending it to Pherable (http://www.phearable.net) to have the vtec conversion done and a modified chip installed to compliment the B18C ITR swap.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
He said JDM B18C ITR.....

P06 and P75 (Non-vtec)(OBD1) ecu's would also work, and they're cheaper and easier to find. However, these will need the vtec coneversion kit. If you already have one of these ecu's, I suggest sending it to Pherable (http://www.phearable.net) to have the vtec conversion done and a modified chip installed to compliment the B18C ITR swap.
I'm well aware of what he said. And that's why my answer is what it is.
The ecu's your talking about REQUIRE a tuning system and a professional tune for them to work AT ALL. A basemap like you're suggesting is only a basemap, and is NOT meant to be driven on. It REQUIRES a full professional tune completed by a tuner IN the actual car.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

P72 will cause a cel for IAB and will not share the same fuel mapping, vtec crossover, or redline as the ITR. The chipped ecu could essentially be a 1:1 copy of a P73 fuel mapping, vtec crossover and redline if the OP requested it. Alternatively, a OBD1 to OBD2A jumper could be used so you can run a JDM P73 ecu.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
P72 will cause a cel for IAB and will not share the same fuel mapping, vtec crossover, or redline as the ITR. The chipped ecu could essentially be a 1:1 copy of a P73 fuel mapping, vtec crossover and redline if the OP requested it. Alternatively, a OBD1 to OBD2A jumper could be used so you can run a JDM P73 ecu.
that was my mistake, I meant to put p73 in my comments. Thank you for the correction.
Editing my comments now to provide the correct info

P.S. my capitalized wording above wasn't in anger or anything, just stressing that info for the OP and anybody else who may read this, because entirely too many people think a basemap is sufficient for any short or long term driving purposes, and it's not.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx everyone so just to be sure I got this correct run a p73 for factory tuned on the jdm b18c itr, so itll be daily reliable... and another question if I did decide to get a different ecu for racing the motor is freshly rebuilt from crank to valve train could I run a p28 chipped ecu running the s300 v3 hondata later in the year (of course with pro tuning done) sorry I'm just a rookie trying to learn
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
that was my mistake, I meant to put p73 in my comments. Thank you for the correction.
Editing my comments now to provide the correct info

P.S. my capitalized wording above wasn't in anger or anything, just stressing that info for the OP and anybody else who may read this, because entirely too many people think a basemap is sufficient for any short or long term driving purposes, and it's not.

Thanx everyone so just to be sure I got this correct run a p73 for factory tuned on the jdm b18c itr, so itll be daily reliable... and another question if I did decide to get a different ecu for racing the motor is freshly rebuilt from crank to valve train could I run a p28 chipped ecu running the s300 v3 hondata later in the year (of course with pro tuning done) sorry I'm just a rookie trying to learn
Old 03-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to mention I'm running obd1 ser up I dont think p73 r made obd1 if so do they really have a speed limiter of 112 mph
Old 03-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Most JDM ECU's have a speed limiter of 112mph. There is no OBD-1 plug styled P73 ECU... every JDM P73 ECU I have ever seen had OBD-2A style plugs even though it's internal operation is more like the OBD-1 style diagnostic function. You would need to use an OBD-1 -> OBD-2A adapter to plug in the P73 ECU to your chassis.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Most JDM ECU's have a speed limiter of 112mph. There is no OBD-1 plug styled P73 ECU... every JDM P73 ECU I have ever seen had OBD-2A style plugs even though it's internal operation is more like the OBD-1 style diagnostic function. You would need to use an OBD-1 -> OBD-2A adapter to plug in the P73 ECU to your chassis.
thank u much appreciated
Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mramirez199112
just a minor correction: a chipped ecu uses a programmable 28-pin chip, typically tuned with crome. A hondata ecu uses a hondata circuit board that plugs into the spot a chip would normally go.
And yes, you can do that. And if the tuner does their job properly, an ecu tuned for your actual car in your actual car will typically be just as reliable or even more reliable than the stock ecu.