Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please

I run into a slight problem every year and I still can't get a straight answer. Indianapolis Raceway Park used to let us test 1/4 mile at their Summit ET events....now they don't allow testing. I have been skipping IRP which is 10 minutes from home and driving a couple hundred miles to tracks that DO allow testing. It is expensive and getting old running on 50 year old tracks whenever they can fit us in. Now you must race in Sportsman, Pro, or Super Pro. Sportsman is the only 1/4 mile class.

My question is this...what kind of cars are in sportsman? Our car is door slammer, but it definately is not a street car. It is a 3/4 chassis, FWD 4 banger...still has factory body panels, but has a 1 piece front, lexan, and wheelie bars. Do you think they will allow us to run Sportsman? Any suggestions?

I have called the track and I get a yes from one guy and a no from another. The truth is they just don't know what to do with these dang ricer burners. I could easily enter Pro or Super Pro but that is half the data we need right now
Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please (4piston)

Our little nhra track here in GJ Colorado this is there rule for Sportsman class "Sportsman: No Electronics, open headers okay, slicks or DOT okay (7.00 - slower)" hope that helps
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please (sportfwddc2)

Yeah I think it just depends on your Division, but I think the 7.00 and slower is pretty standard. Also having a 2-step pretty much takes us out.

I was told that we could run Pro or Super Pro and just run the full 1/4 during the 3 time trial passes to get a full slip. We will try tomorrow and see how that goes over...ha ha
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please (4piston)

whats wrong with regular test and tune nights ? or why dont you go run when they run an outlaw or local quick8 style event, or on a gamblers night.....
Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please (DaveF)

In Division 1 we call your sportsmen....Street E.T. It is regulated to 4 dot tires, working mufflers, street equipment. So Pretty much a street car that runs 11.00-19.99. Where you concern me is the lexan and wheelie bars. To me that automatically puts you in Pro E.T which is for more of the race cars with slicks, lexan, wheelie bars, less interior and such. The term is "bracketizied" ...as in bracket racers.

Best bet would be go to IRP on a day when you are not racing and check out the classes. See where you fit in or bring the car, sign up to race and see what the tech guy says. If he says Super Pro I would argue the fact because you do not have electronics such as a deal box, stutter box and so on. They might give you **** about the 2 step but if your car is a manual transmission with a clutch, they should let it go. Argue that you will be racing automatics that can simply foot brake the car (hold down brake and load up the RPM's on the converter) and how does he expect you to launch with a clutch. So technically the 2 step is your "converter" because it also allows you to hold a steady launch RPM.

I say Pro
Old 04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats wrong with regular test and tune nights ? or why dont you go run when they run an outlaw or local quick8 style event, or on a gamblers night..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Regular T&T nights are hit or miss with the quality of the track, and we basically have to hurry to get more than 2 passes in. You usually get the local super heros out there putting a good layer of oil and coolant down the track. It would just be nice to get a full weekend day to run some numbers where we didn't have to hook a cooling system up in the pits after every pass. The last T&T we tried we were spinning 4th gear at 135mph and I almost stuck her in the wall...LOL. That is lame for a 350hp car on a 26 inch tire. I'd love to take advantage of some of the rubber from the Super Pro cars.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summit ET Series and Pro Cars??? Help from Bracket Racers please (OldskoolVW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OldskoolVW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In Division 1 we call your sportsmen....Street E.T. It is regulated to 4 dot tires, working mufflers, street equipment. So Pretty much a street car that runs 11.00-19.99. Where you concern me is the lexan and wheelie bars. To me that automatically puts you in Pro E.T which is for more of the race cars with slicks, lexan, wheelie bars, less interior and such. The term is "bracketizied" ...as in bracket racers.

Best bet would be go to IRP on a day when you are not racing and check out the classes. See where you fit in or bring the car, sign up to race and see what the tech guy says. If he says Super Pro I would argue the fact because you do not have electronics such as a deal box, stutter box and so on. They might give you **** about the 2 step but if your car is a manual transmission with a clutch, they should let it go. Argue that you will be racing automatics that can simply foot brake the car (hold down brake and load up the RPM's on the converter) and how does he expect you to launch with a clutch. So technically the 2 step is your "converter" because it also allows you to hold a steady launch RPM.

I say Pro </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will give that a shot tomorrow. I know they will let me run pro or super pro, but we don't get the whole track. I'm just going to try running it out during time trials to get a full slip like the locals have suggested
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I've ran in sportsman at our track with a 2 step according to them electronics means delay box or throttle stop