Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

SpeedClinic brings you "The Race for the Cure" .....please look....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im curious on how this foundation has such a big impact on the import car scene rather then say any other childrens handicap foundation?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (raider099)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raider099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im curious on how this foundation has such a big impact on the import car scene rather then say any other childrens handicap foundation? </TD></TR></TABLE>
For me personaly I actually participate in different charities. On thanksgiving I serve food to the homeless and just last week I was involved in a food drive. Back in 1995 I did a Halloween party at Scott and White Hospital in Temple Texas at the childrens hospital there. There are a lot of things I do behind the scenes that people do not know of. locksoflove is the one I made public since mike was doing it.

art
Old 08-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually donated to locksoflove about a year ago. I mean its perfect, I am always broke and like to help people in need and it doesn't cost a thing, only time. I am actually gonna start growing it out this fall again to do it.

to everyone who helps charitys
Old 08-11-2004, 06:04 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (raider099)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raider099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im curious on how this foundation has such a big impact on the import car scene rather then say any other childrens handicap foundation? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its just one that i chose. Its a benefit for children, and well.. children liek cars, maybe all the race teams can send some pictures and souveneirs to the society as well, and give them something to hang up on their wall. Like i said, anything to raise their spirits, and its a job well done..
Old 08-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIXTYdashONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its just one that i chose. Its a benefit for children, and well.. children liek cars, maybe all the race teams can send some pictures and souveneirs to the society as well, and give them something to hang up on their wall. Like i said, anything to raise their spirits, and its a job well done..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have two kids of my own and they love "daddy's race car". My oldest daughter had hair down to her butt and we just donated to loc's of love. What I think is cool is when a young kid walks up to my car and looks at and is like "WOW, this is pretty cool" and I ask them if they want to sit in it and the look on their face is just priceless. I know when I was a kid, it was sooooo cool to sit in a race car and would make my day, so I thought that I could return the fealing to someone else.

Gary
Old 08-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ron, cars looks great! Glad to see the project is up and running. Congrats!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (b16pinay)

Ron, I really dont see what the purpose of you building a car is to help kids suffering from diseases.

I'm not trying to start any **** but when I was younger I was sick like many of the kids you claim to be helping. So when I read how you;'re trying to scam their name into getting a car built for yourself, I cant help but to be offended.

Believe me the last thing I was interested in was watching cars go down the track when I could barely get out of bed or keep any food in my stomach.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (Jay Dirt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay Dirt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So when I read how you;'re trying to scam their name into getting a car built for yourself, I cant help but to be offended.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you think im trying to SCAM my way into what? i built this car with my own money jason. Im simply donating money to a fund. I didnt beg for anything, and i didnt get any special treatment. Would it be better if i didnt donate anything at all?

If anybody else objects to this, please tell me now... So much for trying to make a difference in this society
Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i built this car with my own money jason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ben Huhyn @ ImportParts.com for your wonderful parts and service
Cody Loveland @ LoveFab.com for your awesome craftsmanship
John Hashim @ M&H Tires for your great attitude and products
Chris Miller & Tom Lisner @ NRG Tech for your electronics & tuning
Jim Justice @ Justice Racing Engines for your help and great attitude towards this project
Arturo Ortiz @ Arturbo.com for donating to the same fund as well
Gene Giroud @ WildRidesRacecars.com for your great fabrication and service
Clayton Harmer @ NCRASpeed.com for your endless help and good spirit
AMS MIKE @ Advanced Motor Sports, Inc. for the beautiful front Lip

dont forget them.
-Roger
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Yea

I feel where you are coming from Jay.

In 2001 i battled cancer as well. I got through it, and i agree when i was the most ill of my days, i didnt care much for anything. I can see however how people would be touched by the compassion of someone building a car for charity rather than publicity. If thats the case, then you have my support as a cancer survivor.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (E-Town4229)

Lets set things straight: This car was put together by Ron and a little help from friends.

Although the people mentioned above helped out with their goods and services; isn't that what they are supposed to do as dealers.

It is better to have tried than to fail from the beginning.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re:

I dont need publicity. Im doing it because i want everybody to relaize this is just a sport, and we should all try to help each other out.. Aparently some of you dont realize that..
Old 08-11-2004, 02:41 PM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Jay, I'm one of the people on the list that Ron thanks. I can tellyou that I am one of the most leery people that you will ever meet. If I thought for a moment that this was a scam I'd have told Ron so, and told him to stuff his project up you know where on the spot. I look at all different types of charities and the way they campaign for funds. Some charities are almost guerilla in their tactics. The method that Ron has chosen seems to me to one of the most fair methods out there. He's not beggin for anything. He didn't ask me for help, he told me about his project, and I offered to help. I can't see how you can call him a scammer? If he is able to make one kid smile, or one kid be able to feel comfortable going out in public, than as far as I am concerned he has done a good thing. He has chosen a different method of raising funds to try to help others, and has built this car on his own dime, and with donations. If you read the press release you will see where it says the donations will be sold, and that money will be donated as well. Believe me when I say, that at the end of this project I'll be wating for results to see what the final donation to locks of love is!!!

Clayton
Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay Dirt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ron, I really dont see what the purpose of you building a car is to help kids suffering from diseases.

So when I read how you;'re trying to scam their name into getting a car built for yourself, I cant help but to be offended.

Believe me the last thing I was interested in was watching cars go down the track when I could barely get out of bed or keep any food in my stomach.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly. people who have nothing but good intentions, donate money or items anonymously. others who want a piece of the pie too, notify the media of their "good deed." so, if you had nothing but good intentions, i don't see why you needed to notify the media and honda-tech of your actions.

don't you think the money used to build the car would be better spent on actually donating it to the charity in question or any charity for that matter? this way, there isn't just a probability of having money to donate by winning a race.

i can't help but see that this is an act of self interest. whether it is to gain publicity to make a name for yourself, acceptance, current or future sponsorships or to appear to be less of an ******* on honda-tech.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hatch4urSnatch)

i honestly dont see the reason on accusing him of anything.

to me, he's one step ahead of anyone else that isn't donating.

he doesnt have to do it, he didnt have to do it to begin with. as for saying that he should've put the money into donation from the get go - in case you haven't realized, he is in it for the love of the sport. he's helping people in addition.

that's like telling each and every one of us to sacrifice everything we do, just because we put one foot in the door for charity. what you're telling ron is basically telling someone at a goodwill center "you shouldn't have bought that house, you should've just donated all that money into charity"

the only personal gain that i see he gets out of it is knowing that he helped someone in need. the beauty of the internet, someone always has to criticize.

edit: making things known to the public is to educate and hopefully influence others to do the same. i find it really hard to believe that you blast at him with accusations that he's doing it for fame and fortune.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:03 PM
New User

Default Re: (SilverG35C)

I think you do very well in politics Ron.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SilverG35C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilverG35C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he doesnt have to do it, he didnt have to do it to begin with. as for saying that he should've put the money into donation from the get go - in case you haven't realized, he is in it for the love of the sport. he's helping people in addition.

that's like telling each and every one of us to sacrifice everything we do, just because we put one foot in the door for charity. what you're telling ron is basically telling someone at a goodwill center "you shouldn't have bought that house, you should've just donated all that money into charity"
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just because a person donates to charity doesn't necessarily mean they are a humanitarian or a good person either. it is the intention behind it.

yes, you are correct, he doesn't have to do this. but, why do it and notify everyone of your donation? and why is there a mentality of "I can have my cake and eat it too," by donating and expecting some sort of reciprocity.

as far as your example is concerned, that is comparing apples to oranges. a person donates what he or she can without asking for anything in return. it is no better than a student volunteering at a homeless shelter with a letter of recommendation in hand.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hatch4urSnatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch4urSnatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just because a person donates to charity doesn't necessarily mean they are a humanitarian or a good person either. it is the intention behind it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i feel its very respectable to give to charity. i have the highest respect for anyone (even ron) that can use their hobby to benefit a charity. with that being said there are a few different ways of doing just that in this case. 1- support your cause in the most basic way. for example: members of laskey racing growing their hair to give to the organization. to this cause its just as good as giving money but they went the extra mile by having the dedication to grow their hair-something tangible for this organization. only as an afterthought were their efforts mentioned in public.

2- rally people with your common interest to help your cause. for example some type of fundraiser at the track, get other racers to donate hair or money.

3- this was my personal favorite just like i suggested donate the car, hell raffle it yourself. you said any profit made from the sale of the car or its donated parts would go to the charity anyway. youve got a golden opportunity right there. you could be the mother teresa of racing.

you wanted to build a car, thats great. you want to help a great charity that even better. but the way youre going about seems a little shifty. to anyone that can read between the lines it seems like you used sponsors under the guise of charity. to get free parts to help you build your car. you may belive what youre doing is right but in fact you are just using a charity to benefit your hobby. and that i cant respect.

ron despite what i think about you i dont actually think you could be that low. your intentions just might be a little misguided and i just wanted to point that out. so dont take this as a personal attack, and just maybe you can see how disingenuous this seems.
-Roger
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Town4229 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i feel its very respectable to give to charity. i have the highest respect for anyone (even ron) that can use their hobby to benefit a charity. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you Roger. This is exactly my point, besides everyones differences, we should all hope to use our skills (there are so many talented people in this industry, its sick) to help others.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Town4229 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> this was my personal favorite just like i suggested donate the car, hell raffle it yourself. you said any profit made from the sale of the car or its donated parts would go to the charity anyway. youve got a golden opportunity right there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a great idea, and i thank you for the idea.. If i was able to find a way to raffle it so i could donate the optimal amount of money to the fund, that would be ideal..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Town4229 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you wanted to build a car, thats great. you want to help a great charity that even better. but the way youre going about seems a little shifty. to anyone that can read between the lines it seems like you used sponsors under the guise of charity. to get free parts to help you build your car. you may belive what youre doing is right but in fact you are just using a charity to benefit your hobby. and that i cant respect.

ron despite what i think about you i dont actually think you could be that low. your intentions just might be a little misguided and i just wanted to point that out. so dont take this as a personal attack, and just maybe you can see how disingenuous this seems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It may seem shifty or sketchy, but what could i possibly be benefiting from this? granted, I was lucky enough to get some free parts; all of which i will not keep.. they were donated in the sponsors name, and will all be sold off. I do have good intentions, and i hope everybody believes that. It may seem weird, but im not really an expert on addressing the public on something like this. This is the first time ive ever done soemthing for anybody other then myself, so im trying my hardest to do it correctly. I appreciate everybodies help, and i also appreciate the way your going about it, unlike some others on here..

Basically, the cliffnotes, I am trying my damnest to help others, i AM doing this out of my own pocket; with a little help, i am thankful for anybodies suggestions or questions. Also, i dont think accusing me of anything has any merit, because as i stated earlier, im not taking any money for personal use.. also as stated, all donated parts (as well as possibly the car; good idea) will be sold and donated..

Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

Ron i told you months ago it didn't look right. Whether you have the best of intentions or not...its just not the right way..it really isn't. Back then you knew that i was trying to get and still am get http://www.partshippers.com off the ground(its up and running btw) and you asked me if there were anything i could do..no matter what it is it would be great. Back then you never mentioned selling the parts off...you basically said that you were putting more money into it then anything and how could i think that it wasn't right. I questioned all of it for a reason...i mean there are and were even more back then unanswered questions. You hit me from left field with it yet it wasn't planned out on what you were going to do. Thats the reason i declined...because back then it sounded like you had 2 things going on....one race...one charity and i said no to helping your hobbie because thats how i felt. I can't stress enough how legit this could possibly be...but please i beg of you figure it all out before bringing it to anyones attention. We aren't talking about 100k deals with the ARMY drag racing team and helping out those from 9-11. We are talking about a young man who hasn't won any events etc...with no big names on his cars with racing teams and tv coverage. The ARMY racing team will make money for the charity win or loose. Your suggestion is your winnings go to charity and the parts from the sponsors of your gig will be sold off for charity. Ron...come on man think. Its not planned out...please do so or just do it because its whats in your heart. My brother has Cerebral Palsy and i give dude...but you've never ever ever heard of me giving have you.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lip)

I say hold a online raffle (thru as many sites as possible) and sell tickets for 10 to 20 dollars each and after a set time (and fund has been reached) a ticket is drawn and the winner gets the car!

hell I will buy 4 tickets myself!! (more chances to win!!)

now thats cool ****!

I mean you would most likely get 400 to 1000 people just off H-T alone that would buy tickets just advertise it as a charity fund raiser in all the forums!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lip)

Ron, I have talked to you over PMs and stuff and I think you are a very nice person. I hope I don't offend you in any way, but this "Race for the cure" really doesn't seem right. When I read your post, I was kind of confused. I kind of got the impression that you wanted to help by raising money, but at the same time I felt like you would benefit from this by building yourself a car for the season. This may not be your intention, but that's kind of what it seems like. How about doing this another way. How about you continue to get the help of some of these companies and finish building the car. Raffle the car to raise money and donate it all to this charity. Racing the car is not necessary. Another way is just to forget about the whole car itself. Make a post describing the charity you are trying to help and see if people will donate money. There are alot of good people on this board that would love to donate money to a charity like this. I myself, would donate some money if you made a seperate post. Good luck and I apologize if I offended you in any way.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboCX)

Ron?

good luck....thats my last word after over an hour of aol IM's
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (TurboCX)

If you guys would rather me seperate the car from the charity, then that could be arranged. I figured that would give people more interest on this site.

As far as raffling off the car, thats a great idea.. it really is. and i will look into it more...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as raffling off the car, thats a great idea.. it really is. and i will look into it more...</TD></TR></TABLE>

a good way to make big money for charity!

Quick Reply: SpeedClinic brings you "The Race for the Cure" .....please look....