Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

raised rear w/ limit straps

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: raised rear w/ limit straps

Originally Posted by andyKAIZENSPEED
While launching, actual weight does nnot transfer to the rear.
Really? This seems very counter-intuitive to me. Here's my argument:
When launching, we all know the front tends to lift and the rear tends to squat. Now, imagine that you have an infinite amount of horsepower, infinite traction, infinitely strong drivetrain, infinitely strong everything, but you have infinitely shitty rear suspension Upon launch, the front lifts so violently that it goes near vertical to, let's say, 80 degrees. Where's all the weight of the car?

It is on the rear tires/suspension.

Even on a more realistic scale, surely some weight is transfered...

I was thinking that the analogy of a seesaw was more appropriate, with the car's center of gravity acting as the fulcrum.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Uhh... DC/EG, EF/DA chassis cars don't have struts. They are double A arm cars so therefore they have shocks.
2) Dynamic toe/caster/camber change due to the deflection inherent in OEM rubber/steel bushings is less than optimal. That is why 100% of all purpose built race cars run spherical bearings in all suspension pivots instead of the compliant rubber bushings run by OEM manufacturers for the purposes of reducing NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) and also frankly because they are cheap.

Obviously these guys are very fast so I don't know the point of the post. I guess at "atta boy" for guys racing on a budget? You can be fast without a 10/10ths build. No doubt. But if cost is no object no one in their right mind is going to run OEM bushings in good condition.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So wats a good place to buy spherical bushings
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cloviskilla
So wats a good place to buy spherical bushings
only one spot Kingpinmachine.com. The best stuff out there right now!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cloviskilla
You said stiff control arm bushings. So why people sprung on bearing type bushings? Am i confused. So limiting straps is a poor racers bandaid for proper strut valving etc. Hmm sounds like ill give them a try sunday.
Solid bushings or bearings are best. I suggested nice new bushings with budget in mind. Does the op no good if I suggest a bunch of expensive stuff he cant afford.

Originally Posted by chrisb
1) Uhh... DC/EG, EF/DA chassis cars don't have struts. They are double A arm cars so therefore they have shocks.
2) Dynamic toe/caster/camber change due to the deflection inherent in OEM rubber/steel bushings is less than optimal. That is why 100% of all purpose built race cars run spherical bearings in all suspension pivots instead of the compliant rubber bushings run by OEM manufacturers for the purposes of reducing NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) and also frankly because they are cheap.

Obviously these guys are very fast so I don't know the point of the post. I guess at "atta boy" for guys racing on a budget? You can be fast without a 10/10ths build. No doubt. But if cost is no object no one in their right mind is going to run OEM bushings in good condition.
1) struts/shocks whatever... you know what I meant.
2) we have solid bushing in our car. It is ideal for the suspension to maintain its geometry, but those components are usually expensive and thought it may not apply to the op.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by c2ypt1c
Really? This seems very counter-intuitive to me. Here's my argument:
When launching, we all know the front tends to lift and the rear tends to squat. Now, imagine that you have an infinite amount of horsepower, infinite traction, infinitely strong drivetrain, infinitely strong everything, but you have infinitely shitty rear suspension Upon launch, the front lifts so violently that it goes near vertical to, let's say, 80 degrees. Where's all the weight of the car?

It is on the rear tires/suspension.

Even on a more realistic scale, surely some weight is transfered...

I was thinking that the analogy of a seesaw was more appropriate, with the car's center of gravity acting as the fulcrum.
This is kind of hard to describe, but I'll try.

Example: If you launch your can and the front comes up 2" the center point has only moved back less than .200" on a 12' car. That is what I meant by saying it has ALMOST no effect on weight transfer.

Here is something to visualize to help. Imagine a r/c car that you held in your hand by the drive tire. Pulls the trigger and the car spins around the stationary tire. If you let go of the tire the car would stop spinning and the tire would start. You holding the tire is an example of traction. You letting go is no traction. This is what squats a car. The front drive tires with traction drive the rear in the pavement. The load in the back is a direct result of traction in the front. This is why rwd cars hook so well. The same tires that drive the car get is all the weight as it lifts the front.

To simplify, lots of traction = lots of load on the back tires. No traction =lots no load on the back tires.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well put.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about the side to side angle of the traction bars? The more side to side angle the more binding with suspension travel. Granted the cant be straight cause tire rub.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Full race has a good write up on side to side angle. I'd like to hear what they say about height, like mentioned earlier in this thread. Similar to the idea of a 4-link on a rwd
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: raised rear w/ limit straps

Originally Posted by redboost10
Full race has a goof write up on side to side angle. I'd like to hear what they say about height, like mentioned earlier in this thread. Similar to the idea of a 4-link on a rwd
Yes! Me too. Making some different holes for the end links on the a arms anf crossmember and do some real track testing. Ill check out full races site
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is kind of hard to describe, but I'll try.

Example: If you launch your can and the front comes up 2" the center point has only moved back less than .200" on a 12' car. That is what I meant by saying it has ALMOST no effect on weight transfer.

Here is something to visualize to help. Imagine a r/c car that you held in your hand by the drive tire. Pulls the trigger and the car spins around the stationary tire. If you let go of the tire the car would stop spinning and the tire would start. You holding the tire is an example of traction. You letting go is no traction. This is what squats a car. The front drive tires with traction drive the rear in the pavement. The load in the back is a direct result of traction in the front. This is why rwd cars hook so well. The same tires that drive the car get is all the weight as it lifts the front.

To simplify, lots of traction = lots of load on the back tires. No traction =lots no load on the back tires.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Imagine a r/c car that you held in your hand by the drive tire...
I understand that traction is the key factor in lifting/squating, this is obvious. I'm more concerned with weight transfer.

Although the physical center point barely moves, because a car is so massive, this gives us no indication of how much weight is actually being shifted.

If 2" of lift doesn't make a noticable impact, then why does corner balancing yield such great results?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by c2ypt1c

If 2" of lift doesn't make a noticable impact, then why does corner balancing yield such great results?
Are you telling me that you can move a significant amount of weight front to rear when corner scaling? I would love to see that.

The concept behind corner scaling is to balance the front drive tires to have equal pressure on the pavement resulting in more traction. Rears are balanced left to right to keep the drag and rolling resistance equal. This aids in stability and the car wanted to track straight.