Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

NHRA Postpones Fun Ford Event; Cites Atlanta Track Condition

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHRA Postpones Fun Ford Event; Cites Atlanta Track Condition

NHRA POSTPONES FUN FORD EVENT; CITES ATLANTA TRACK CONDITION
Next week's highly anticipated Fun Ford Weekend event at Atlanta, which was to feature a $20k to win Battle of the Brands: Outlaw 10.5 race and the first installment of the $5k Challenge, was suddenly postponed today. NHRA pulled the plug on the event due to the condition of the track's racing surface. An announcement was posted on http://www.funfordevents.com and on the track site at http://www.atlantadragway.com/apcm

The event has been rescheduled for the second weekend of June (Father's Day weekend) at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA. The Goodguys nostalgia series, which has a non-race event scheduled the same weekend, will be held at Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton, GA. For additional information, please contact Fun Ford Events during normal business hours at (225) 664-0996.

After watching cars hitting the bump at Houston last week, the Agent wonders what happened to the Atlanta surface to cause NHRA’s action.

http://www.dragracingonline.co....html
Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NHRA Postpones Fun Ford Event; Cites Atlanta Track Condition (Bottle)

there are pictures of the huge gap in the track @ the 1/8 mile
Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bottle)

That bump is ok for the imports but way too dangerous for the domestics

Safety First
Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BIGTUNA)

Would it really be that hard to fill in the gap with some asphalt?
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (Boner_Ben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boner_Ben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would it really be that hard to fill in the gap with some asphalt?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When the temp warms up the gap will close.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boner_Ben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would it really be that hard to fill in the gap with some asphalt?</TD></TR></TABLE>\
dee karrigiannis mazda 3 jump and the car wiggled very hard when he hit that bump but he stayed in it anyway.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even JB weld </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jjspec)

This is because they are saying that import racers are better drivers and can compensate for the shitty track conditions....

But I wonder why NOPI didn't make the same call when they saw the track for us last weekend ?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (toubaby2)

They may have if we had even been given the chance to race. We weren't even close to making passes on that track with the weather so it didn't matter. They were aware of the problem and I'm sure it was in their thoughts when they decided to call the event.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4piston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4piston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They may have if we had even been given the chance to race. We weren't even close to making passes on that track with the weather so it didn't matter. They were aware of the problem and I'm sure it was in their thoughts when they decided to call the event.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but didnt they see they spot when selecting that track? isnt there any kind of physical inspection of a facility before finalizing a deal? if it was a sunny day they would of probably had y'all going down the track....it would of been up to the racers to boycott the unsafe conditions.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (f@sth@tch89)

I'm sure NOPI was there on Friday, it should have been taken care of then, prior to everyone paying their $100. Shame on them.

And Atlanta Dragway should be embarassed to have a track in that condition for an event. You can't tell me that they really think it was safe. I guess the figured since they got away with it last weekend they would get away with it again this coming weekend. What kind of standards do those track owners have?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toubaby2)

I walked the track on Sunday morning and almost fell in this fissure at the 1/8th. I would have thought it was alot worse if I hadn't watched Powerade last week and saw the 1.5" bump at the asphalt transition.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (f@sth@tch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f@sth@tch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but didnt they see they spot when selecting that track? isnt there any kind of physical inspection of a facility before finalizing a deal? if it was a sunny day they would of probably had y'all going down the track....it would of been up to the racers to boycott the unsafe conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The track had fairly new concrete to the 1/8th and new asphalt all the way down. It probably wasn't something they were expecting and until a couple cars ran over it during the test session....and it was brought up on Saturday. It wouldn't have even bothered a lot of the cars, but some of the higher HP cars it did. It rained all weekend anyway so it doesn't matter. The Ford event probably would have continued on if some of the SC drivers hadn't brought this to NHRA's attention from the test session.

I think it is funny that every weekend all around the country, thousands of racers run these Summit ET events on tracks that are 50 and 60 years old and have never had a new surface since the day they were built. Granted they don't run 1/4 mile anymore, but I remember not so long ago when they did. 60 year old guys driving 7 second cars on tracks that you can see the waves and dips in LOL! Those guys have a pair of ***** because those places shake up even a lowly AM car
Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone see NHRA's response to the photos of the track?

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/27940.htm
Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RollermanDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The photo being published was taken before traditional expansion filler material was added.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats just lovely that they weren't going to add "filler" before our race.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how the yellow stripe just continues in the big gap lol. Guess they were planning on painting over the filler a second time
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

I live in Atlanta and the track has been like that since 1st opening back up after the winter!! I love their excuse!!!