Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie drag launch questions

I'm sure this must have been covered before and I've read alot of posts regarding different peoples launch techniques. There doesn't seem to be any one way to do it properly and I guess that's just what makes life so interesting.

Anyway, I have been to teh track twice and run about 10 runs in total ever.

My car has been tarted up a bit. I have a ukdm crx vtec with a b16b engine in it. Latest figures were about 200hp at the fly. I went to the local drag strip (with about 40kg of tools in the boot ) and was lining up for my first run of the day when it started raining. Not much but enough that I had to put the wipers on to clear the screen before I ran.

Anyway, I had an awful time trying to get off the line for several reasons. It had just got slippier with the rain, I hadn't ever raced with my new engine in and the new exedy clutch was a lot shrper than my old stock one. My BEST 60 ft time was 2.55 sec.

I was trapping at 97 mph at 14.8 seconds. If I empty the boot and maybe take out the seats, with that sort of trap speed, what sort of times should I be aiming for? My best 60 ft is 2.2.

I did one run where I missed 4th gear and coasted to the end and I got 15.00 at 84mph. LOL

I've also built a gearbox with much shorter ratios and a LSD.

I'm running 195 50 R15 Toyo proxies.

I have put in a new chip with a rev control until 6 mph. I know that it's not ideal but it takes one thing out of the equation, something less for me to worry about. It's set a 3600.

My car should be redlining at 9.3 k soon. Should I be aiming to shift at peak power? Peak torque? Just after?

Any hints and tips for me?

Thanks for your time reading this.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie drag launch questions (greatwhiteshark)

first invest in some good tires if you want to run desent times bfg work great. and just keep at it more you run the better your times will get
Old 09-04-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Newbie drag launch questions (vaporboy12)

I have heard that you shift a few hundred RPM after peak power.