Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

My outlook on on the sport compact drag racings future part 1.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (BIGTUNA)

last i heard i thought sportsman all motor cars can run some new class in stock eliminator???
Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redboost10)

With the Outlaw Shootout past us, I think all of us that attended that race see what is still in store for Import drag racing. If all the PR Vs USA cars competed regularly and were willing to travel, there would be a healthy field for import drag racing. Only time will tell. I hope to have my car out just to add another car to the field and body at events, and who knows, maybe qualify for a few races next year.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed86)

we need to go back to the roots of this and that's were we are going. WHEN we all pull together look what can happen the outlaw race was one of the biggest races this year and it was all the little guys that made that happen. the fans came back out to see the race my opinion on that is thay didn't know what the outcome was going to be. what im trying to say is if all the same cars keep wining the race why go pay 20+ to get in when you all ready know who is going to win. and why spend all the cash to race when you as the little guy cant compete with all the big money. just my 2cents
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 PM

First off growth cant be stopped things grow.But its growing in control.Its no fair to hate on the teams that were able to get funding back in the day to take it to the next level. In our case going backward is not going to help neither.We are not powerade and dammit we will never be like them.Thats old money the runs those teams.

Its been a long long time coming, but change is going to come oh yes it is.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Re: (turboaap)

Unity my friend unity.Thats what I preach.Theres a change thats going to come.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DOMINUS VERITAS)

what is that supposed to mean ?

do you know something big about to happen for the sport compact scene ?

im all ears.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (Clayton)

I'm still sticking with my thought. You guy's may not old enough to see it. The big marketing problem is, how do you get the 20 somethings to commit to a sport or club for the long term.

Look at any activity like a tennis club, swim club, ski club, all have the same problem. How do you get the young people to commit ?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (1992Si)

its all up to the person doing it. its about dedication. alot of young people dont or cant commit their "entire life" to something. it takes alot of work to get a good program together, alot more than i what i think i know. it also takes alot of commitment from other people as well. say you want to run a pro car (all motor/hotrod/ profwd/ mod/ pro rwd) it takes alot more than one single person to do that. its hard to find people that are "in love" with the "sport/scene" as much as you are, and are willing to learn and dedicate their precious time into it.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (1992Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm still sticking with my thought. You guy's may not old enough to see it. The big marketing problem is, how do you get the 20 somethings to commit to a sport or club for the long term.

Look at any activity like a tennis club, swim club, ski club, all have the same problem. How do you get the young people to commit ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fancy marketing schemes wont "trick" or make anyone do what it take to race on any kind of level, from watching the ups and down of a friend race this year the amount of time and money required is insane. You gotta be willing to devote at minimum the hours of 2nd job, and mostly needed a another job just to pay for it.

You gotta love the sport from the core of your body to do this, a fancy commercial or marketing ploy can't put that kind of needed dedication in someone.

There are racers and nonracers, keep the focus on keeping the current racers happy, keep them racing, they already have the "bug", the bug is contagious as long as people are racing.

Modified by BIGTUNA at 5:20 AM 11/6/2008
Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (BIGTUNA)

its not that the 20 somethings dont love the sport, they dont have any money. Most are already spending their rent money to buy clutches, turbos, etc.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:25 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> say you want to run a pro car.. it takes alot more than one single person to do that. its hard to find people that are "in love" with the "sport/scene" as much as you are, and are willing to learn and dedicate their precious time into it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that there is the truth... Finding a good, dedicated crew is one of the most important things IMO. And with the payouts not being very high, its a struggle finding somebody to do it "for the love of the game"
Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 AM
rota92

Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (SIXTYdashONE)

The only way to foresee to future, is to be part of it for better or for worse.

Sure I'd love to do this as a full time gig one day, but I'm not giving up what I have outside of racing to compromise that. As has nobody else, (job wise, we've all given up lots of $$$) and we cannot speculate.

All we can do is stick to what works, and help BOTI cater to us and the fans. We also have the outlaw format to go off, which I think with more classes it would be just as big of a hit on it's own. But as said above, the PR cars give the entire weekend a crazy touch and draw their entire fan base out of the woodwork.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My outlook on the sport compact drag racings future part 1. (DOMINUS VERITAS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOMINUS VERITAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did not mention anything in my statement in regard to sales or demographics.I think I have a really good understanding about those kinds of things givin my professional background </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is your professional background? Who are you?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOMINUS VERITAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its been a long long time coming, but change is going to come oh yes it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently his "change" is hoping the push the fast guys out of the class.

(2:36 AM 11/6/2008) DOMINUS VERITAS: Good job on running 8s however people are on your jock I dont understand why.So why dont you step it up to another class before you break down SFWD class and no one will want to race that class.

In my opinion you'd have to be nuts to move out of the 'SFWD' or whatever we're calling it now class. I'm part of the biggest and most competitive class and I love it. I have absolutely no desire to move up to a class with a few cars and tear my car down to a race car to compete there.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont really understand why people dont like index racing. Its not bracket, you race heads up and its for cars that fit within a certain time. Say my car runs 7.0's in the 1/8, I can run the 7.0 class in orsca and still be racing heads up trying to beat the person next to me. The only thing you have to not do is run faster than the 7.0. So you can either be trying your hardest and be competitive or you can be a sandbagger if your faster. I would love to see the look on the orsca racers face if T1 was to run the 6.0 class.

All this talk of unity, I was unaware that we were divided other than geographically. IFO caters a good bit to my general area, so I'm not going to try to convince another series to come my way when I probably already have more than I can chew. Not to mention Orsca or any other non import event that the car would fit in.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Apparently his "change" is hoping the push the fast guys out of the class.

(2:36 AM 11/6/2008) DOMINUS VERITAS: Good job on running 8s however people are on your jock. I dont understand why. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, this guy is funny....

IMO SFWD is the only class keeping people in this sport right now. so why force anybody out of it? Rediculous.. Ive raced/watched this class from its infancy; and while its been a wild ride.. chasing people out is not gonna fix the class... did it look like anybody was scared to race Tony at the shootout? They raced because they wanted to be part of something special... Use that motvation with each and EVERY race.. i can assure you that the people who truly love to race do the same
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM

All the sudden you have PhD in SC sociology and your a historian. OH and your related to Nostradamus. IF your all powerful all knowing and all wise, then maybe you should you come up with a new series and solve everyone's problem!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In my opinion you'd have to be nuts to move out of the 'SFWD' or whatever we're calling it now class. I'm part of the biggest and most competitive class and I love it. I have absolutely no desire to move up to a class with a few cars and tear my car down to a race car to compete there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said tony, it has been the biggest and most competitive class for a long time, it's just now finally getting it's proper exposure and attention. Every time we have ever went to a race, the competitors earned their victories.

To DaveF - Every one of your posts in the thread is right on the money
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about you guy's but i'm just as enthusiatic about SC Drag racing as ever.

We will spend another winter spending as much time and money as we can on our car (Same as every year)

A look forward to competing in as many events as possible in 2009 (We are even trying to raise the funds to bring our car from the U.K. to next years Outlaw Race)
Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XXXRacing)

that is very true. that class has usually if not always made a full field. Now a days the only ones out there are the ones commited to it. but even then its usually the same faces. Most of the time its when one class gets bigger its because another got smaller like guys moving from hot rod to pro fwd and mod to pro rwd. But even then it becomes tough when the money becomes less and you can only run so long for the love of it before your broke. Look at some of the classes that went away. Pro RWD use to be a full field at every event. Modified always had a huge turn out and little by little it went away. And like some of you guys said it takes more than a 1 man show to run any kind of pro car. As much as some may brag they do it all alone theres ALWAYS someone behind the scenes doing a huge part in keeping the operation running strong. Guess we can only hope for the best and see what happens. But right now the sportsman\street classes seem to be going strong. To all you guys doing man ****.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XXXRacing)

the next generation of racers were lost... its that simple.

start young and encourage them why we love this sport and why we've been doing it for so long.

mho, if you can get just one out of the crowd youve done your job.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (MrParks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrParks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the next generation of racers were lost... its that simple.

start young and encourage them why we love this sport and why we've been doing it for so long.

mho, if you can get just one out of the crowd youve done your job. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So it's kind of like the big brother thing. If you come across somebody young in your day to day travels who shows some interest we should try and mentor that person...who here does that ?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrParks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrParks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the next generation of racers were lost... its that simple.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not that they are lost, look at where some of the "big" SFWD were 3-4 years ago, running around on small budgets and simple setups. Right now there is just a gap, look at the age of the "fast" guys, late 20's early 30's now they have the means to do what they do, they love the sport as much as they did 5 yrs ago but now have more experience and means to compete.

I got to the local track and see plenty of guys racing on simple setups, maybe in 3-4 years when they are more established in life, jobs, experience they will be a "big dog".

Thinking a 21 year old is going have the means of income/experiences/ect to compete with people that have being doing this for years is naive.

Look back a 3-5 years, how fast and what kind of setups did the current fast people have? Look around at all the cars that are on that level right now, where will they be in 3-5 years if we all just keep racing?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (1992Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So it's kind of like the big brother thing. If you come across somebody young in your day to day travels who shows some interest we should try and mentor that person...who here does that ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i do... thats why i offered to miss my cousins college graduation party to go help you guys testing, even though i didnt know you guys from a hole in the wall... And i didnt think twice about it.. im glad i did.

We have to help each other... everybody is in this sport because we love it..
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion you'd have to be nuts to move out of the 'SFWD' or whatever we're calling it now class. I'm part of the biggest and most competitive class and I love it. I have absolutely no desire to move up to a class with a few cars and tear my car down to a race car to compete there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah Ha! Now we are on to something, very well saidTony1! Right now the SFWD class is as the kids say ... "Off the Hook!" BUT WHY?? Because the class is just that competitive AND attainable for the common racer ... AGREED? Now hypothetically if a couple of cars start a half a second to a second quicker than anybody else WHAT do you think will happen ... That’s right the class will wither and die. Strict regulation of the class is an absolute must so that it remains just that COMPETITIVE AND ATTAINBLE. Case in point, ALL Motor. We at one time had 20-25 cars going for 16 spots. A few cars broke away from the pack and were not regulated and the class now struggles to fill an 8 car field. Had the sanctioning bodies took steps to regulate and keep cost within reason the class would still be just as exciting and popular as the SFWD class with 20 plus cars still going for 16 spots. Before you flame me and say what do you expect it is a "Heads up, Pro class"! True but with a little thought and regulation growth can be controlled WITHOUT stifling innovation.

Remember this, Those that do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it ...

Scott - Sport Compact Fan

Modified by Toyotakid714 at 8:58 AM 11/6/2008

Quick Reply: My outlook on on the sport compact drag racings future part 1.