Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

My Drag CRX pics pics pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Drag CRX pics pics pics

Well its been years in the making and gone through a few different transformations but it feels closer to finished than ever now. I bought my 91 CRX from a friend waaaaaaaaaaaay out in the sticks for $500. Looking back I feel like I paid too much but oh well at least I got the car I wanted.

I bought the car to be strictly a toy for me and the wife to trailer up to the drag strip and have fun with. So we got right to tearing it apart and cleaning it up. Heres my wife 7 months pregnant tearing the locked up HF motor out.

I boosted an ls vtec set up and beat the hell out of it for a while looking like this. Sorry for the bad angle but its all Ive got from those days.

Im a mechanic and dont have tons of disposable income so ive always built my car with leftover junk that customers decided to upgrade out of. Luckily I work at a very reputable shop with an in house dyno and have a very gifted Hondata tuner as my boss. So even though my set ups have all been built from junk I have been as fast as need be to be competitive in my area against other FWD cars in my class. Ive won numerous local events with the car. Unfortunately I hot lapped the car one day at an event running a small shot of nitrous to spool my outdated improperly sized turbo and put a tiny crack in a sleeve. That was the end of that motor. I did still manage to win the event running anywhere between 7.3's and 7.1's. Obviously in the eighth mile.

So my plans changed, to wanting to build a real bad *** set up using all top notch quality parts. Parts like a sleeved block and new turbo. So I sold all my old junk parts and parked the car for a while trying to figure out how to fund such a build. So while looking around my garage I noticed that I had enough junkyard parts minus pistons to build a nice NA motor. So I purchased some 14 to 1 pistons and got to work. My plan was to build the engine, dyno it, and run a few passes at the track to prove its abilities and sell it to fund my new boosted set up. This is where things got interesting. I really enjoyed the way the NA set up acted and was pleasantly surprised to run the times that I did with the NA power plant. It went 7.5's numerous times on its first night out with 1.6 60 foots. I was hooked on the feeling of no boost and the linear feeling of NA power.
The only problem was the cable j1 tranny and terrible feeling shifter. I was constantly missing shifts and eventually grenaded it two days before an IFO event I was trying to get to. A good buddy loaned me his y1 and I was still able to go and win the event. Heres the car at the event and my winnings.

That transmission failing sparked yet another much needed transformation to the REX. I started scouring Honda-Tech for a "mint" b16 transmission. I found one that I felt good about and paid the guy the $600 he was asking for no haggling no bartering. I was very disappointed but made due with what I bought and fixed it up myself. Removing broken bolts and heli coiling the numerous stripped out bolt holes so I could mount the transmission.

While trying to repair the tranny I also completely stripped the car to have it painted. I got tired of being the ugly duckling all the time. Here are some shots getting her ready for paint. I had painted the engine bay myself years before because I believe in having a clean engine bay, thats why it looks cleaner than it should having been a dirt road car. I removed just about everything from the car including the steering rack for the paint. My painter is a good friend of mine and did a fantastic job on the car. We decided that a 100% paint was necessary to really make the car POP!!! It was a ton of work and luckily he allowed me to help with the prep work to lower the overall cost.

And heres the color I chose. Its the Honda CRV color Green TEA Metalic. This was the day I picked the car up which is why its on a dolly. Remember im a low budget kinda guy.

Now I had the arduous task of putting the car back together and making it better in the process. I started the reassembly process buy building my own hydro set up for the new b16 trans. I bought a brand new master cylinder, slave cylinders, and some hard line from my local parts store. Once I fabbed up a bracket under the "dash" it was all history from there. I bent a few lines and ran them trough the fender to keep it all hidden and clean. The engine is a b20 vtec with skunk pro 2's and 14 to 1 compression.

I painted it all up and it turned out great. It practically self bled with the bleeder cracked on the slave.

Here is the car in its completed form the other night at the drag strip. And on its way there.

It was a fun night out at the strip. I didnt run my best times on motor but I got to spray the engine for the first time and was able to run a 7.1 at 101mph. Im shooting for six second pass some day. We will see. I hope you liked the car any feedback would be appreciated.

ohh and heres a couple videos. One of which I was nearly missed by a diesel truck loosing control right next to me. I was told he missed my back bumper by 2 to 4 feet. It was a close call.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Drag CRX pics pics pics

thats a bad little crx i really like the crv color
Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome car!

How much did you spray on the 7.1 pass?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice lookin build and runs
Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very nice looking crx!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bauergold
Awesome car!

How much did you spray on the 7.1 pass?
Im really not exactly sure but its around a 90 shot.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Love the color of the car. Excellent choice!

I am assuming other than a freshening up, you're running an otherwise stock transmission? Open Diff?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet build... car is quick
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that truck was nasty
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Nice times!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 850Disco850
Im really not exactly sure but its around a 90 shot.
Nice.

You're getting close to the 6s. Not too many people with a 6 second nitrous b-series.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ProjectLSVTEG
Love the color of the car. Excellent choice!

I am assuming other than a freshening up, you're running an otherwise stock transmission? Open Diff?

I really didn't freshen the tranny up at all I just cleaned it inside and out. After inspecting the sliders and synchro's I decided I could live with the wear. It does grind a little going from second to third so ill have to rebuild it soon. So much for the trans being "MINT".

I did install a GSR Obx lsd into the b16 case. The Obx lsd came out of another grenaded trans so since it was free I figured id stuff it into the b16 case half. That's took a little work but the diff was free as long as I assembled my buddies trans for him. No biggie.

At the track fri night I had my buddies watch for both tires spinning during burnouts and the car seemed to launch as hard as ever. My last cable tranny in the car had a welded diff but it tried to put me in the wall one night and I got tired of it being such a pain to push and drive. So that's why I have a normal lsd now. Some day I hope to be able to afford a quafe or wavetrac but the Obx will be fine for now.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on, wasn't sure if you had an LSD or not. Either way, very respectable car.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow!! Great job on the CRX!!

Subcribed!!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys its been a long time coming. I've got a new seat in the mail and need a longer nitrous feed line. That should be about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean! Now it needs a Snail!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JJsMotorsports
Nitrous FTW!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Great story.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JJsMotorsports
Ha ha no thanks ive been down that road NA+ nitrous is more fun. IMHO
Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now thats a transformation. Very clean and like everyone else, that color is sick!
-Matt
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nitrous cars ftw...car looks sick
Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what does it weigh?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice car! miss my crx days
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Trial User

VERY NICE
Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car looks great and that's pretty quick for what it is. I'm sure it's a lot of fun that way.

Quick Reply: My Drag CRX pics pics pics