Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Mfactory Pro Series Gearset= FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mfactory Pro Series Gearset= FAIL

I broke MF 3rd gear, less than 20 hits on 150hp motor. I was told that it was "too much clutch" since Competition Clutch 6 puck sprung have "harsh engagement." Completely hung me out to dry with more excuses why it was my fault you know the story bad oem new bearings, fluids, ect.

Its a friggin 150 hp motor, I should be able to run tin foil gears.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well iam sorry iam going to have to agree with most of the other members, racing is racing and stuff breaks , the gear failed to the case cracking and letting the gears spread apart, Thats why ppg has the lower brace and liberty and nrg have aftermarket bellhousings so this will not happen. I know it sucks it broke but the stock bellhousing is week and with a straight cut gear set it just puts more pressure on it. If you dont have money for the aftermarket bellhousing you can weld a stock one up and be stronger than stock and save some money for a better housing, thats what iam doing for now i just dont have 1600 or so to spend right now.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stuff happens.. racing is expensive.. and honda transmissions are very small for the power they are trying to hold in.. I hate to see aftermarket products like this break esp considering how much they cost but it happens apparently.. I hope Mfactory can take care of you in some way and hopefully it will all work out.. thanks for the broken parts thread..
good luck

-Sam
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

If the thread stays compliant with rules it wont disappear. The problem is when the bashing begins. As of now there has not been any name calling and everyone is acting civil.

On the other note, racing is racing and I personally would take the deal rebuild and move on.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree threads like this shouldn't be made to bash companys not saying that the op did. Parts will break and that's why we try and buy products like this to stop that from happening as much. Somethings bound to break eventually but threads like this should be a good thing to let mfactory and potential customers know what's going on. Mfactory should take this as something to try to improve on something if needed. There are to many variables on something like this to know who/what was at fault and why.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aj,

If i were in your shoes. I'd just eat this one, salvage what you have left and sell it as spares for someone. No sense in sinking even more money into it. Locash hit it right on the head though, parts break, and unfortunately we learn where to spend our money. I've been there. I'm sure most of us have. In all honesty, i'm pretty suprised or maybe not, givin the small tire you run, imagine what it would like if you hooked ?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As ahobbs has already stated, there is no reason to lock this thread, except maybe the fact that a few people in here can't spell, and have horrible grammar. But I can't lock a thread for that.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Racing is racing and if your breaking parts, then you found the weak link and its time to upgrade, plain and simple.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats good those non spelling people with bad grammer spend lots of money as well as you edumacated ones
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah2b hit it right on the head for me. As for Op, good thing it was only 1 gear and not all of them. just let us know how it goes from here on out. maybe next time you will get 11 passes out of it!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to make this thread disappear if someone starts name calling. just delete the posts and leave the technical information.

the gearset survived the dyno and then broke at the track, right? so this could be that during use at the track, the transmission case cracked a lil bit while in first gear, then the main and countershafts were spread apart just enough to cause some damage while under a load in 2nd gear. I would focus more on what caused the gears to break, as it is hopefully the case that the gears were not defective.

Can we get pics of the cracked transmission case and perhaps some measurements on how far off it is (or could have been under a load) ?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went 9.3's, 9.4s last year with 40 hits on the trans. I made over 900 laast year. David from synchrotech assembled mine. No issues no breaks and yes i did run rtf thicker fluid. Case i used was stock, and i had 30-40 hits on a dyno.
Sorry about your loss, i'm sure there is something you guys can work out.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically it's your fault. Buy more parts from sponsors here!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90dxhmt
lol
Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikesrex
no need to make this thread disappear if someone starts name calling. just delete the posts and leave the technical information.

the gearset survived the dyno and then broke at the track, right? so this could be that during use at the track, the transmission case cracked a lil bit while in first gear, then the main and countershafts were spread apart just enough to cause some damage while under a load in 2nd gear. I would focus more on what caused the gears to break, as it is hopefully the case that the gears were not defective.

Can we get pics of the cracked transmission case and perhaps some measurements on how far off it is (or could have been under a load) ?
Yes to your first question. The car came off the trailer I drove it around the pits it was fine. I did a burn out pulled up to the line. Launched went to shift 2nd gear I let off the clutch then stepped on the gas and it just free revved. The case was out of the car the night before and it there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I will have pictures up shortly.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Antilag
I went 9.3's, 9.4s last year with 40 hits on the trans. I made over 900 laast year. David from synchrotech assembled mine. No issues no breaks and yes i did run rtf thicker fluid. Case i used was stock, and i had 30-40 hits on a dyno.
Sorry about your loss, i'm sure there is something you guys can work out.
I offered to send this transmission where ever to be looked /inspected. I know this gearset was assembled 100 percent accurate. It all comes down to the fluid I used supposedly. What are you making for TQ?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChokeOnMySmoke
I offered to send this transmission where ever to be looked /inspected. I know this gearset was assembled 100 percent accurate. It all comes down to the fluid I used supposedly. What are you making for TQ?

Low 600's.

10 passes? On Aim you bragged about taking some events. and you had more than 10 hits on the trans. Was this true? I'm confused.

I never assumed your trans was assembled incorrectly. I hope you find a solution and get back to the track asap.

Lo cash: As for transmissions hold on your dyno, Didnt someone we know lose 4th gear in less than 10 passes?? Racing is racing.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM

back in the day i broke 3 ats final drives in 2 days. they were 4.9' fd's and thats racing and i spoke to the the owner of ats and he could do nothing for me but i had to chalk it up to thats racing and i bought 3 fd that were really meant at the time for road racing! we used there stuff for a while and eventually broke all of the gear sets. it is what it is! im not sitting here bagging on you personally but when you put the blame on the products without knowing what really happened its just not cool, you need to look at every possibility before you start throwing rocks at someone. clayton can i get a spell chek. lol
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10 passes? On Aim you bragged about taking some events. and you had more than 10 hits on the trans. Was this true? I'm confused.

I never assumed your trans was assembled incorrectly. I hope you find a solution and get back to the track asap.

I don't recall bragging to you. And I made 6 passes that day. And then broke 1st pass this time. Like I said not even 10 hits. 10 was over shooting. And none of these hits were full passes.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 90dxhmt
LMFAO
Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Im telling you right now, Dont even start bashing between each or anyone. Im not only locking threads Im going to hand out some bans, and long ones. I dont have time to sit and baby sit threads. So maintain yourselves please
Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think the problem here is him not understanding racing is racing, parts break etc. etc. Its him a bit upset spending $x,xxx amount of money on parts for it to break in such a short period of time and hardly any "Real" use. I'm defining. real use as in 1.5X 60's 4.XX 330's. powershifting etc. Not even close.

ctrparts - after you broke your 5 ATS final drives, did you continue to support and promote their product to other racers.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't this gearset only rated to 700hp.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Antilag, I said that the "good" transmissions didn't break immediately after the dyno. I chose my words carefully.

Synchrotech - We've had alot of upper bearing failures with the MF gearsets, with and without using the Liberty cuff, have you come to any conclusions as to why this might be happening? Obviously, we havent run into that on the other gearsets, but I'm still baffled as to why it happened even with the Liberty brace..

I can understand if people are breaking some stuff after a LOT of passes, stuff does wear out, even the PPG's..

Originally Posted by Antilag

Lo cash: As for transmissions hold on your dyno, Didnt someone we know lose 4th gear in less than 10 passes?? Racing is racing.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ahobbs
Im telling you right now, Dont even start bashing between each or anyone. Im not only locking threads Im going to hand out some bans, and long ones. I dont have time to sit and baby sit threads. So maintain yourselves please
it funny that you talk about banning people...are you not to defend yourself if someone says something that is not true..... or i wonder if you will ban other moderators who instigate those situations........

Quick Reply: Mfactory Pro Series Gearset= FAIL