Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

K Series Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: K Series Transmissions (GearSpeedEF7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GearSpeedEF7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Steve...I hope you can come up with something that will help these guys out. The K market is growing pretty rapidly and hopefully soon we can get some more people to help out with the 2nd gear issue and make us some parts!!

Parts that are affordable

Its funny that I have sold many dog boxes throughout the years but, never had enough to buy one for myself

For those that are not making crazy horsepower...a good somewhat smooth engaging clutch is gonna be your friend. Also driving style will also effect how long your trans lasts. Ultimately will be the original wear and tear....its probably not wise to expect much life out of a trans that has over 80k of mileage @ 198hp and then just throwing 700hp at it You guys might want to try freshening things up with new bearings and resetting all your clearances back to spec at minimum.

For those making big numbers...I will pray for your 4th gear </TD></TR></TABLE>

What dog boxes do you offer? How about 900+ whp? We keep an eye on that tranny every 10 passes.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (K20Ahondas)

For sure they will be better, just not sure if it will be 900hp better.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (RacerStev)

Any updates on the pro shift?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (hectorg4444)

Still working on the most cost effective and a place that can do the work fast.

The last thing I want is a shop that takes there time getting my stuff done! I hate
waiting for parts!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (regamaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by regamaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">currently we are still using a stock box and at this time havent had any issues with the gears. However, we did have a treatment done to them that I feel has prevented this devil. We have had a few 10k mis shifts and they are still looking good with no problems and no signs of wear.

From what I have seen and heard. The clutch also plays a big role in the breakage.
We are using a twin disk carbon/carbon. A lot of the breakage has been heavy on the cerametallic clutchs. this is not to say that the still do not break with the carbon clutchs, because they do. the force of impact is a lot greater on the cerametallic clutchs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by regamaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We are also running the TORCO OIL MTF.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

::taking notes::
Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (team1320_k26eg)

Ok things are moving ahead, have a 2nd gear out getting pro shifted now. It should be back on Monday and I hope to have it tested in the next week or two..

Oh yeah, it's cheap too

Steve
Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 PM
formerly Bullhead Gears

Gauging interest for a K-series close ratio 1-2 strait cut gearset with a beefed up shaft. Price around $2k.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how many passes can you get on a pro shifted teeth? Not gear teeth, but dog teeth.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (K20Ahondas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20Ahondas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many passes can you get on a pro shifted teeth? Not gear teeth, but dog teeth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good question, I didn't have a whole lot of luck with the set I had done for me
(no names). They showed alot of wear after about 2 dozen pass's. The set I did
myself were alot harder and showed no wear at all.

I think the problem was the slider was real hard, like 60 rockwell. The big name
plate on the gear was much softer, I didn't test it but it seemed to be in the
35-40 range. Hard ageinst soft and you know what happens...

Mine will be the same hardness so they should last a good while. No clutchless
shifting though...
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff would def be interested in whatever steve comes up with

on another not what final drives are u na guys running i had an ats 5.0 fd in my car last year and had to shift into fifth before end of track
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerStev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good question, I didn't have a whole lot of luck with the set I had done for me
(no names). They showed alot of wear after about 2 dozen pass's. The set I did
myself were alot harder and showed no wear at all.

I think the problem was the slider was real hard, like 60 rockwell. The big name
plate on the gear was much softer, I didn't test it but it seemed to be in the
35-40 range. Hard ageinst soft and you know what happens...

Mine will be the same hardness so they should last a good while. No clutchless
shifting though... </TD></TR></TABLE>

2 dozen passes isn't too shabby. We are replacing the 1-2 gearset every 8 passes.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Teamxxxracing.com

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (4piston)

Great info here... in for more results
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: K Series Transmissions (4piston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4piston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2 dozen passes isn't too shabby. We are replacing the 1-2 gearset every 8 passes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We were replacing them about every 15 passes just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Series Transmissions (GearSpeedEF7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GearSpeedEF7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

We were replacing them about every 15 passes just to be on the safe side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who's we, and which gear were u replacing every 15 passes? modified one or oem?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Joey.)

we had good luck with the straight cut gearset we had. We never had a problem after switching to it.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:02 PM
G2K

Default Re: (SpeedDreamz.com)

what gearset was it?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:35 PM
formerly Bullhead Gears

So nobody interested in a EXTREMELY strong strait cut 1-2 set with shaft?
Give me some input as to what is needed out there and I will see what I can come up with.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 PM
G2K

Default Re: (Erikos)

well it would be nice if you told us what company you work for. theres been alot of people that have come on here and talked about doing things, but never had the resources to do them. It would be nice to know if you were with a company, or an individual. what kind of resources you have, if you do machine/turning work in house, or do you sub out your work?

Just so everyone knows, I did talk to Liberty at PRI, after explaining to them about our industry and the way k series stuff is picking up speed, they were interested in doing something. The best thing I can tell you all, is to email liberty and just explain to them you need a gear set for a K series tranny, and you ar interested in seeing if they can do it. I think if they hear it from more then just a couple people, they may get to working on it faster.

Also to those that keep blowing up tranny's after doing rebuilds, someone at PRI told me that although the K cases are strong, once they start to push he shafts apart and destroy 4th gear, the cases actually start to warp. So if you keep tearing up tranny's after the rebuilds, you might want to think about getting a new case. just food for thought.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2K)

in for updates
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
formerly Bullhead Gears

I am currently just an individual looking to bring to the honda market some extrememly strong and proven gearsets. I know you all want proof and I am more than willing to supply that later on. I am just trying to get a feeling as to what people want and what prices would need to at or below to see if its worth my time and money to invest into setting up a business etc etc. I believe the product is excellent and will be very well received, but many people do not want the ultimate solution, just something "good enough" for the right price, which may or may not have been good enough, or may not be good enough for the next mod.
I am not a gearbox builder(at this time), nor do I manufacture. I would sell the gearsets, with guarantees:

Right now its is looking like this:

around $1750 for a 1-2 k series strait cut set with shaft (syncro)
Possibly(not yet built) a 3-4 k series for around $1500 (syncro)
1-5 close ratio k series DOG set strait cut with final drive For &lt;$8k

So if there is any interest I would like to bring these to all of you, if not I will not waste Your or my time. Any input is welcome.
Thanks

Erik

Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Erikos)

$8,000 seems way pricy
Old 12-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Trial User

screw that, lol, i'd rather buy 20 base k trannies.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well it would be nice if you told us what company you work for. theres been alot of people that have come on here and talked about doing things, but never had the resources to do them. It would be nice to know if you were with a company, or an individual. what kind of resources you have, if you do machine/turning work in house, or do you sub out your work?

Just so everyone knows, I did talk to Liberty at PRI, after explaining to them about our industry and the way k series stuff is picking up speed, they were interested in doing something. The best thing I can tell you all, is to email liberty and just explain to them you need a gear set for a K series tranny, and you ar interested in seeing if they can do it. I think if they hear it from more then just a couple people, they may get to working on it faster.

Also to those that keep blowing up tranny's after doing rebuilds, someone at PRI told me that although the K cases are strong, once they start to push he shafts apart and destroy 4th gear, the cases actually start to warp. So if you keep tearing up tranny's after the rebuilds, you might want to think about getting a new case. just food for thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Liberty has had a K series gearstack for over a year.....ask me how I know.

The need has been explained to them many times. I am sure its just a matter of time...but, bug the heck out of them so they can make something!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wHOAlly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

who's we, and which gear were u replacing every 15 passes? modified one or oem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM and REM treated OEM(2nd gear set)....both...as for who...I plead the 5th lets just say they go in the single digits
Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GearSpeedEF7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GearSpeedEF7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
OEM and REM treated OEM(2nd gear set)....both...as for who...I plead the 5th lets just say they go in the single digits </TD></TR></TABLE>

did the REM help?

Quick Reply: K Series Transmissions