Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Insane Axles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insane Axles

okay. Before I take the plunge on axles I want to know who's had good luck with insane axles? I've heard some good things about them but not enough to really convince me quite yet. They are drastically cheaper than DSS though and uses the stock hub. That's what's leaning me towards the insane shafts.

I think it's mostly been west coast guys that have been running them from what I've seen. Can anybody who runs them chime in with how much power do you made and what size slick you're running?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Insane Axles

Never heard of it. Tried a quick yahoo/google search and nodda....

I dunno man, what's the price difference?

I've had numerous customers with 3.9 axles that have worked flawlessly for the power they are rated at.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 on never heard of them. tell us more Pauly !
Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the bottom line is that DSS stands behind their product. Axles are a wear item that have to be replaced over time, regardless of how much you spend. If you have a big power car going through a stock hub, you are on borrowed time. If your car is fast for the first 500 feet...you are going to break some stuff eventually.

You might save a little chump change initially, but I know for me personally, DSS has been a life saver.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

paulzy, paulzy, paulzy, with well over 8,000 post I'm surprized your asking this question.
Or, you could take the a let us know how they work out...or don't.

Anybody have a picture of a ginny pig ?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard of them before. They are pretty decent too. I remember looking into them before I bought my "1000whp" Gators a couple years back.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, they're not a well known company "nationwide" like how DSS is known. They were discussed a little in this thread here. I talked to the owner once and was told they are chromoly shafts with their heat treatment to be at the 300M level but I can't remember what he used for joints.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...1848689&page=4
Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they were good you'd hear more about them, and they wouldn't use factory hubs. I don't know how much power you're looking to put down, but one way or another, DSS is the way to go. "chromoly shafts with 300m level heat treament" sounds like some bullshit to me. No need to reinvent the wheel here.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^So DSS is the last word on axles and hubs for all time?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. lol

Seriously though, DSS has about a 10 year head start on Honda stuff over anyone starting new. Frank was working with us WAY back in the day when Honda guys started breaking stock axles. They've been there since day one busting *** and going way above and beyond to help the racers and develop solutions.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on the same set of DSS 3.9's for 5-6 years for me. this pair of axles are magical lol
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mar778c
^^^So DSS is the last word on axles and hubs for all time?

Depends on the HP and traction your making. There are very few that need better axles, hubs,etc then DDS.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1
Yup. lol

Seriously though, DSS has about a 10 year head start on Honda stuff over anyone starting new. Frank was working with us WAY back in the day when Honda guys started breaking stock axles. They've been there since day one busting *** and going way above and beyond to help the racers and develop solutions.
I'm not denying the DSS commitment. I just question the logic of saying not hearing of and sounds like BS to me.

Technology as you will know does change and can allow smaller guys to sometimes leap frog the market leader.

Originally Posted by Turbo-charged
on the same set of DSS 3.9's for 5-6 years for me. this pair of axles are magical lol
Originally Posted by 1992Si
Depends on the HP and traction your making. There are very few that need better axles, hubs,etc then DDS.
Ok, I'm sure many can vouch for DSS but magical.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would run nothing but DSS, ive broken tons of others but have never had an issue with DSS and even an oooooold set I had that was discontinued they rebuilt and made new for a side project I had and only charged me return shipping.

Frank and his guys satnd behind thier products, and when they have a problem with them as they have had a couple bad batches of material before, they will take back thier product and give you new stuff. you cant beat that with a stick.

like tony said, stock hub diameter just isnt enough
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying that someone somewhere can't make an axle that is good or as good, but you will be hard pressed to find a better COMPANY than DSS. I'll be honest, I hammer the **** out of axles. I have half the HP they are rated for with big hubs, hundreds of lbs lighter than guys that have no issue with them, but I'm hard on them out of the hole. My clutch setup is hard on them, my driving is hard on them, and when I have an issue after many many passes of complete abuse...DSS puts us back on the track for the next weekend. I don't have the money to keep a bunch of spares around, and I have never had to wait on DSS for anything. They always get me stuff in half the time they say they will. I think they are one of, if not the best company in this industry and I'll buy axles from them forever.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4piston
I'm not saying that someone somewhere can't make an axle that is good or as good, but you will be hard pressed to find a better COMPANY than DSS. I'll be honest, I hammer the **** out of axles. I have half the HP they are rated for with big hubs, hundreds of lbs lighter than guys that have no issue with them, but I'm hard on them out of the hole. My clutch setup is hard on them, my driving is hard on them, and when I have an issue after many many passes of complete abuse...DSS puts us back on the track for the next weekend. I don't have the money to keep a bunch of spares around, and I have never had to wait on DSS for anything. They always get me stuff in half the time they say they will. I think they are one of, if not the best company in this industry and I'll buy axles from them forever.
well said, i agree 100%

Frank is always on top of things and the customer service as well as the product is simply the best.

you really have no reason to look anywhere else, well except if your trying to save some $$ but remember you get what you pay for. with dss your not only paying for the product, but also the years of testing and experience that has gone into the product. they really do have a huge advantage over the competition.

you have to pay to play, and you cant play if your sitting in the pits w/ a bunch of broken axles now can you?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen dss work with some fast guys i know and im impressed with the service and product.

like tony says if its good you normally hear about it, bandwagons are always in.

hey dss is located just a skip away for me,i new nc had somthin worth while
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand DSS is a great company. I used to have their stage 3 (fat shafts ones) back in the days I bought from Viren before the stage 5's ever came out. I was merely asking who has tried the insane and had good luck. Reason being? Remember when everybody bagged on Borg Warner turbos when they introduced the ETT turbos? Everybody hated on them and claimed Garrett was the only way to go. No harm no foul just asking a question.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yhea, i heard of them and i know a few people that run them, Also eugene from pro street import, my homie with a built b20 vtec set up and has been on the same axles for 2 1/2 year putting down in the 230+ range.

Last edited by Got_EF8; 04-15-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je3GO...layer_embedded
Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Although not known on a national level like DSS, Insane Shafts axles has never let us down for the past 4 years. There are many west coast turbo and all motor cars that run these axles with out problems. I'm making about 240+ whp and have not run into any axle problems what so ever.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've been running these axles for over 3 years now and have had zero problems. the motor has over 100 passes on a dynojet, taken to both sanctioned and non-sanctioned events and driven 2-3 times a week on socal 91 octane pump gas.

insane axles gets 2 thumbs up from me

Name:  JoesDyno800x600.jpg
Views: 5494
Size:  44.3 KB
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I been running Insane Shafts for bout a year and a half on my turbo street car. it made 550whp and i run it on a 24.5/9/13 mt. never had a problem with them. 2 thumbs up to Mike @ insane... Thanks again!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like most of the guys have said, you can not beat the level of service from DSS. All of my cars will always run DSS.

As for the insane stuff, you all motor guys with really light cars making 240hp aren't exactly pushing the limits of even OEM axles..
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tons of street and track car run INSANE SHAFT axles here in CALI.... Bottom line is that Mike "INSANE SHAFT" also stands behind his axles.... nobody i heard that runs his axles hads problems..... Great price for a great product.

Last edited by DARKB20; 04-16-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Insane Axles