Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

How Are D. Hickman's race engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Are D. Hickman's race engines

A while back i was thinking about buying i think it was the b16 12.5 sec race motor from Dave Hickman. People were telling me not too. But they would not tell me why. I was thinking about buying a crx and starting to build a drag car. Im only 16 but I HAVE DREAMS. LOL can anyone help me on what engine to buy or any comments on this subject. thanks a lot
Old 08-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Are D. Hickman's race engines (TyCooley)

Start from scratch with your own setup. You never know how much abuse a used motor has seen. My 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: How Are D. Hickman's race engines (TGARCIARACING)

i was just asking if anyone has ever used oen of his engines

Modified by TyCooley at 10:13 PM 9/12/2004
Old 08-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I must have misunderstood your post. I thought it was a proven (used) engine. My mistake. Dave Hickman is a smart guy. Thats about all I have to say about him. The rest I'll keep to myself.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: (TGARCIARACING)

yeah i just didn't know what to get. because i had started to go to a lot of races last year and tried to see what the most used engine was. and my one friend told me about dave's engines and i was all "gunhoe" on getting a crx and making a street/drag car. but i had a 1992 mr2 and didn't want to give it up. I was just thinking about that engine again and wanted to do that swap. but wanted to get some expert advice from hondatech
Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM

watch out about this dave hickman character there mixed reviews on him. honestly from wut ive seen in the past and through friends there are many shady people in the business its best to get it done urself.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zad5)

did you search for dave hickman posts.. there were tons about wierd **** in done to his race motors.. not good wierd either..
Old 08-10-2004, 10:02 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (dmoto)

He's been around 10+ years doing it and the few problems he has had he fixed. If you have the money dave does great work
Old 08-10-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Re: (alld16a)

tycooley, you've got pm.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:36 PM
N2O

Default Re: (TECH43 RACING INC.)

build your own engine. that way you know exactly what was done to it. or have somebody you know do it. It is also cheaper doing it that way.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dmoto)

I ordered a d-series turbo manifold from him a long time ago and received a stock exhaust manifold with a wastegate flange welded on top of it......

lets just say ever since I have yet to order anything from him and probably won't in the future....
Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 AM

Default Re: (LOSERboy)

lol OUCH!!!

That had to be kind of funny though. What was he thinking?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LOSERboy)

he will build you a great front end
Old 08-11-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: (Agent P.I.M.P)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agent P.I.M.P &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he will build you a great front end </TD></TR></TABLE>

or not. lol
Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude when your garage gets dirty you can vacume that bitch right up and maybe you could even land a hoover or a dirt devil sponsor?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 AM

i have pics of that somewhere, when it was silver. i need to find those.

great idea to BONDO the 1/4 and hatch areas where glass used to be.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 AM

yep, dave hickman screwed my friend for a B-16 head, didn't get it but used the money. oh yeah and his front end was some importshow shet.crazy.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TECH43 RACING INC. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have pics of that somewhere, when it was silver. i need to find those.

great idea to BONDO the 1/4 and hatch areas where glass used to be. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude thats weight reduction to the 9th power
Old 08-11-2004, 10:21 AM

thanks for the ideas and info. im am probably going to build up my own b16 or b18, i have to decide. im in the process of fixing my non turbo mr2. so once i get a little more money i am going to start this project. thanks again everyone. feel free to keep commenting, i will still look through this thread.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TyCooley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TyCooley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the ideas and info. im am probably going to build up my own b16 or b18, i have to decide. im in the process of fixing my non turbo mr2. so once i get a little more money i am going to start this project. thanks again everyone. feel free to keep commenting, i will still look through this thread. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think the rest of the comments are gonna be about how his car looked like a anteater/dustbuster and how much he sucks, haha out of ALL people how did you get hickman's name to build you a motor...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

come on dude a non turbo mr-2 is like a 02 imprezza.. Put a 3sgte in that bitch and call it a day
Old 08-11-2004, 03:22 PM

haha can i just put the turbo motor in there. with like no mods cuz people were telling me that i can't do it . I can't find to much on those cars. i wish i could find a Toyota-Tech.comor something like ht . the reason i said hickman instead of anyone else was that my friend told me about daves engines first so i threw that name. i don't know any other honda engine builders. daves one b16 that supposely runs 12.5s cost $5800 for full swap. i had emailed them a little while ago about that engine and they gave me half *** answers on it that didn't please me at all
Old 08-11-2004, 03:56 PM

man i HATE these posts....dave hickman is a LIER

its MY motor that he is always talking about. it was a STOCK b16 block and i bought a GSR head off him from the partstrader.com. my ctr cams and an ericks racing throttle body and ported GSR manifold that i bough from max ha.

the car ran 13.2, never 12.5 and he is a BULLSHIT artist. he hasent had a car run in the last 5 years. why would you want him to build you anything???? if you want real answers, just ask.

cause this here is the horse talking.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (letholone)

i was just asking about his engines because i didn't know who he was and how his engines are. i had no idea about any of this when i first put the thread up. Can anyone lead me to a site or sites with b16 motors?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: How Are D. Hickman's race engines (TyCooley)

dont buy nothing from him. i dont care what kind of **** i get from this post. ok .... i bought a turbo b16 motor from him. it is supposed to be his motor out of his car. well i wait up to 10 months to get everything from him. 1st - the motor i got wasent what i was supposed to get. yeah i got a b16 rods pistons bearing, and the motor was supposed to be sleeved ( solid deck ). no when i get the motor it has these ******* pins in it. so its a open deck and the blocked is pinned. i paid extra for the sleeves. i have the email he sent me of the spec. now lets talk about the head.......... hummm. where do i begin. 2nd - i get the head and the ******* jurnals, cam caps, camshaft, valve cover was not even together. here is the good one, 2 of the ******* cam caps were missing, o he says he lost them. nuts and bolts were missing from the head. wtf the head is not worth a **** without the orginal cam caps. he told me to go and get it lined honed. i should not have to do this. i ordered a coplete ******* motor not pecies. 3rd - i ordered that nice custom intake manifold on his website. **** thats not what i got. i got a custom alunimun intake manifold that looks like ****. it looks like someone never knew how to weld. pulley he makes is for a drag car only. and that is not approved. theres no key way. it gets pressed on. 4th - i had a turbo that i sent him. it was brand new. he was going to trade me a my turbo and 200 bucks for a 60-1. when he got it he said he would send the 60-1 out. so i shipped mine out with the 200 bucks. 8 months later i got my turbo. 5th - my friend got a ls/vtec from him. it took him 2 to 3 months to do that. ok i can live with that. i put 190 to the wheels, good. it smokes. bottom line he fucked me and hard. he wanted my money and thats what i got out of it. will feed you so much bs to try to get your money. still have the motor dave if you want to buy it back lol. im not puttin that head on ****. o yeah put used valves in the head. supposed to be new. so i went and had a new motor built the right way. it put down 400whp and 250 lbs of tq @ 14 lbs of boost and went 12.8@119mph on drag radials last friday. justed burned the tires right off in every gear. got slicks now for this week. tempest racing in woldorf maryland did the tunning. its going to make more power. expected up to hi 500 to low 600 hp. just need to figure out the boost controller. if anyone knows about the turbosmart e-boost controller hit me up please. just tellin it how it is dave.........

Quick Reply: How Are D. Hickman's race engines