Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Go-to trans fluid?

Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go-to trans fluid?

Whats the go to trans fluid people use these days for dogboxes?

Redline LW Shockproof? Torco RTF? Other?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Go-to trans fluid?

I was about to post saying I normally run Amsoil syncromesh. Then I opened the post and read "for dogboxes", which I have almost zero experience with. So yeah, I'd love to hear what people are running in those too, because I will be getting into them soon as well
Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Torco RTF
Old 04-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Torco RTF for all of my customers.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever good stuff the parts store sells. No fancy mail order stuff is going to save your trans in a drag application.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Transmission lubrication is extremely important. Saying use whatever good stuff the parts store sells is fine because fancy stuff wont save your trans, would probably be the reason your trans failed. Im not trying to bash on you for saying that, Im just saying that oil is more important than you think. I mean you wouldn't say the same thing about engine oil. On a stock motor, regular good quality oil is fine. But when you start making more power you want better oil due to higher heat, faster moving parts more loads on bearings etc. Transmissions are no exception, they have moving parts just the same. Moving parts that come in contact with each other during operation and produce heat. They have bearings and some racing transmissions have special bearings. Just like you want Zinc for your flat tappet rockers on your high lift cam to soften the impact of cam to rocker, you want an additive in your oil to reduce shock, soften it up and adequate flow to lubricate all the bearings (needle and ball bearings) as well as keeping heat down to prevent scoring and seizing.
The article below explains that a bit more. But basically the number 2 reason transmissions fail in drag applications is the wrong fluid being used. You want a fluid that is thin enough to flow adequately and has additives the help lengthen the life of the gears (reduce shock loads and smooth operation with synchros)
We've had people use 2 different transmission fluids and one would shift a lot better than the other.
From the article: "A basic analogy would be: Oil is your transmissions blood supply and needs to flow smoothly. Clog it up with cholesterol (i.e thick gear oil), and it will have a heart attack. Not enough Iron (i.e shock additives), and it will get anaemic/weak.
Gear Oil: The Myth : MFactory Competition Products
Another important thing is what diff are you using. For example, Wavetrac you cannot use LW shockproof. It ruins the diff and voids the warranty.
Im using a quiafe diff, so I went a head and used 1 bottle of LW Shockproof and 1.5 bottles of Redline MT-90. Now my trans is Mfactory Pro synchro gears, so I chose an oil that should work with synchros and reduce shock loads.
Id say for a dog box use Torco RTF
Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me rephrase, in drag racing.
I truely believe it to be different in long distance, long track stuff where a fancy formula works wonders.

You can't convince me otherwise in drag.

engine oil is a totally different situation and application.

Originally Posted by hondaracing84
Transmission lubrication is extremely important. Saying use whatever good stuff the parts store sells is fine because fancy stuff wont save your trans, would probably be the reason your trans failed. Im not trying to bash on you for saying that, Im just saying that oil is more important than you think. I mean you wouldn't say the same thing about engine oil. On a stock motor, regular good quality oil is fine. But when you start making more power you want better oil due to higher heat, faster moving parts more loads on bearings etc. Transmissions are no exception, they have moving parts just the same. Moving parts that come in contact with each other during operation and produce heat. They have bearings and some racing transmissions have special bearings. Just like you want Zinc for your flat tappet rockers on your high lift cam to soften the impact of cam to rocker, you want an additive in your oil to reduce shock, soften it up and adequate flow to lubricate all the bearings (needle and ball bearings) as well as keeping heat down to prevent scoring and seizing.
The article below explains that a bit more. But basically the number 2 reason transmissions fail in drag applications is the wrong fluid being used. You want a fluid that is thin enough to flow adequately and has additives the help lengthen the life of the gears (reduce shock loads and smooth operation with synchros)
We've had people use 2 different transmission fluids and one would shift a lot better than the other.
From the article: "A basic analogy would be: Oil is your transmissions blood supply and needs to flow smoothly. Clog it up with cholesterol (i.e thick gear oil), and it will have a heart attack. Not enough Iron (i.e shock additives), and it will get anaemic/weak.
Gear Oil: The Myth : MFactory Competition Products
Another important thing is what diff are you using. For example, Wavetrac you cannot use LW shockproof. It ruins the diff and voids the warranty.
Im using a quiafe diff, so I went a head and used 1 bottle of LW Shockproof and 1.5 bottles of Redline MT-90. Now my trans is Mfactory Pro synchro gears, so I chose an oil that should work with synchros and reduce shock loads.
Id say for a dog box use Torco RTF
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
Let me rephrase, in drag racing.
I truely believe it to be different in long distance, long track stuff where a fancy formula works wonders.

You can't convince me otherwise in drag.

engine oil is a totally different situation and application.
sure thing. You are able to believe what you want. And if it works out for you then even more power to you.
But when there is tons of r&d done by racers, teams, gear manufacturers and oil manufacturers that show otherwise, its usually better to spend that little extra for the extra protection. Transmissions take more abuse than an engine does if not equal to. Saying otherwise is not a good mindset. Thats how parts break.
I get what you're saying, long distance racing there needs to be more fatigue protection. But thats more going to be in the gear material and surface treatment. You need to remember, when drag racing you launch hard and shift hard. And in between you're putting full power through those gears accelerating up to 150mph plus. They will heat up and take more abuse. Circuit racing you're not full throttle putting 1000hp through extreme gripping slicks. You need all the protection you can get to protect those gears.
Now Im not saying that racing transmission fluid will keep the gears together or it alone will prevent failure. No Im saying it will help protect for longer life of the gears and ensure your trans doesnt fail Because of the fluid.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​There is a reason all the top cars dont just go to autozone and pick whats good off the shelf. They run good oil for a reason. And everyone on here said Torco RTF for a reason too. Not because its fancy and it makes them feel like ballers. Its because it works and they need it. But hey, dont take my word for it, or all the r&d, or the top race teams... autozone stuff works for you, then by all means use it.

Last edited by hondaracing84; 04-21-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, I'm not trying to bash on you. But someone telling me to just get fluid at the parts store just to save a couple of bucks, to me is like someone telling me to buy a $400 turbo off ebay because it saves me some money. Buy quality parts, oils etc. Dont skimp just because you save a little money.

Last edited by hondaracing84; 04-21-2017 at 07:37 AM.