Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars?

http://www.nhrasportcompact.co....html

I don't know anything about this car, just thought it was interesting to see a major sponsor jumping into the Sport FWD Class...
Old 08-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (XXXRacing)

that car is from sfp and used to be a blue si. he ran 10.7@145 so far i beleive. Him and jason hunt are going to be battling it out for sure!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 01:08 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (MotorMatrix.com)

Damn, must be nice... Wait till SFWD has a point series, and more recocnition, You will see big named racers and big named sponsors jumping ship. This is just the start.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (SIXTYdashONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, must be nice... Wait till SFWD has a point series, and more recocnition, You will see big named racers and big named sponsors jumping ship. This is just the start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But is it necessarily a good thing?

Is this going to get to the point that you can't even race competitively in the street classes without having some real sponsors?

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but If you ask me.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (XXXRacing)

To me if it's just gonna be a bunch of sponsored street class cars, where the hell is the "street class" gonna be in street class. I have a quick car now, but say some big name sponsors build cars just for that class, how are low budget guys like me supposed to compete. I just think it's a little much to have practical race cars in the street class.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:19 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (autoEXturbo)

street class cars are going to become even more of a big dollar car. although they arent cheap right now. i would have to say all the guys running low 10's have spent well over 20k-30k in their cars already. so the budget racers cant compete right now anyway at that price. the only way to budget race right now is in all motor street class.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:28 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (hybridreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But is it necessarily a good thing?

Is this going to get to the point that you can't even race competitively in the street classes without having some real sponsors?

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but If you ask me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe it is a good thing. How do you think the NHRA pro-stock classes etc started? you have to start somewhere, right? Racing is racing. Someone is always going to have a faster car and more money. The poeple who are strong enough and smart enough to battle through the adversity are the ones who are going to reap the rewards in the future. If you stick with it, you might be one of those guys yourself. Its somethign to shoot for.. I tell you one thing, i am not goin down without a fight, hehe
Old 08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (SIXTYdashONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I believe it is a good thing. How do you think the NHRA pro-stock classes etc started? you have to start somewhere, right? Racing is racing. Someone is always going to have a faster car and more money. The poeple who are strong enough and smart enough to battle through the adversity are the ones who are going to reap the rewards in the future. If you stick with it, you might be one of those guys yourself. Its somethign to shoot for.. I tell you one thing, i am not goin down without a fight, hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

too bad neither one of us can run NHRA sport fwd i'll be at nopi running turbo 4 thats for sure!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:33 PM
New User

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (MotorMatrix.com)

the street classes of ihra (top street, real street) are not allowed to have stickers anywhere on the car except for the rear windows...thats it. eliminates big name sponsors from taking part....for the most part. and those cars run mid 7's to 8's. keeps it grassroots more or less and most of the quicker cars get free or cheap parts anyway....just like the quicker sport fwd cars already do. sponsorship is nice, but there should be some sort of a cap....if you want it to be a real street class.

.....but i would not get too worried, as money is just a small part of the low et equation....especially in the street classes.

Modified by jinxproof99 at 7:47 PM 8/8/2003

Modified by jinxproof99 at 7:48 PM 8/8/2003
Old 08-08-2003, 04:48 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">street class cars are going to become even more of a big dollar car. although they arent cheap right now. i would have to say all the guys running low 10's have spent well over 20k-30k in their cars already. so the budget racers cant compete right now anyway at that price. the only way to budget race right now is in all motor street class.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes its gonna be harder for the regular guys to compete. but allmotor street isnt as cheap as you think.. I have a price tag on my 11sec N/A Street changoever for 15k.. and still got plenty left to do.. racing can get $$$ in any pro class. street, F/i and in the N/A classes as well. it all depends on how far you want to take it.. just my 2 cents..

max-
Old 08-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (LuckyRacing)

in my opinion this could be a good or bad thing. i hope as more of the big names get into the street class we get more coverage and have the possibility at securing more meaningful sponsorships in our own right. while im racing in the n/a class, i think i have the ability to build a car to the limit even on a budget smaller than what bug guys would have the ability to spend. this should setup even more david v. goliath battles. it'd be pretty fun to see what we can do against uncle pennybags.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (jinxproof99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jinxproof99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
.....but i would not get too worried, as money is just a small part of the low et equation....especially in the street classes.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is SOOO true. As for the $$$ into the cars, Jason had like 15K into his car, if that, when he ran 9s. I have about the same into my car once the new motor goes in and I *should* run quicker than I am now...
Old 08-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here we go agein, in the day Quick was a backyard builders class. Looks like
Sport FWD is gonna go the same route.

I like the no sticker thing except the quarter windows, good idea.

Steve
Old 08-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Is this the end of the backyard built Street class cars? (RacerStev)

I saw that car today and it was really nice, but it broke an intermediate shaft twice.

art
Old 08-08-2003, 09:25 PM
I am a bad person

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XXXRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is SOOO true. As for the $$$ into the cars, Jason had like 15K into his car, if that, when he ran 9s. I have about the same into my car once the new motor goes in and I *should* run quicker than I am now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

when jason posted up the crx for sale all the parts in it were well over 15k and thats with free labor too. imagine if he paid labor.