Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

CRX non-functional hatch pass tech?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CRX non-functional hatch pass tech?

Im building a CRX drag car mainly as a test & tune/grudge heads up car (i.e. no real class, just race it to see how fast i can go as a hobby)..

I just wondered if the rear hatch has to be functional for it to pass an NHRA tech inspection? i was planning on just riveting my lexan and some sheet metal to a couple of brackets which would make the whole hatch basically "bolted on" to the car.. is it legal?

Also, I'll be using a 1 gallon fuel cell..the car has a full chassis in the front minus radiator support and some other miiscellaneous small things, so not a tube chassis or anything.. is it legal for me to mount my fuel cell under the hood as long as it sits inside of the main frame rails?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX non-functional hatch pass tech? (91civicDXdude)

it can be either street class or full race ... with the mods you mention = full race class only.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRX non-functional hatch pass tech? (CHEETAH)

you can mount your fuel cell like you described, but like cheetah said, this will disqualify you from street classes. now it sounds like this isn't too big of a concern for you, but let me give you some advice. if you ever do decide to compete, you might want to run street class, so you may not want to modify your car to the point where you cant go back to street trim.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRX non-functional hatch pass tech? (91civicDXdude)

First off yes you can, Run dzus fastners it will be better trust me, and just have it as a lift off.

And you can run a fuel cell in the engine bay, as long as it has a proper fire wall, if you plan on running it near the front of the car (crx's are cramped) make two tubes comming around it and tie it into your chassis bars you havein your front half job, you have to check nhra with the wall thickness of the tubing you need. Just in case you kiss the wall if you dont have anything protecting that you will have a gernade on your hands so have some bars protecting the fuel cell just in case.

Thats about it. Good luck with the car.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:11 PM

thanks for the responses guys.. I think im goign to go ahead with riveting the hatch down, and i ordered an RCI 1 gallon fuel cell which im going to mount near the passenger shock tower. Im looking at a Mallory Comp MAA-4060FI fuel pump, delivering about 220lph @ max 55 psi... should be enough