Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA

I first learned about AutoWave in the HB when Ben and I were looking for a shop to hold a tuning seminar. After getting to know Shane and Mike and playing with their Dyno Dynamic dyno, we knew this was the place to do our race car tuning also. The dyno is simple to tune on because of its loading feature. It gives you dead on horsepower ratings and tires do not slip on it. Also you are treated as a friend rather than an outsider when at their shop. It helps that they are racers also. I believe they specialize in Hondata tuning during the day but today Garrett TurboChargers had the dyno. We got the evening shift. You guys should give them a try!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Lierley Fab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (earl)

how did it go at the dyno????? did you get 4 inj to work???? not...sorry it not going to work

Modified by fabman at 2:20 AM 2/14/2004
Old 02-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (fabman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fabman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how did it go at the dyno????? did you get 4 inj to work???? not...sorry it not going to work
</TD></TR></TABLE>

We gave it a try...and yeah, we ran out of fuel way before we gained the power level we needed. After the idrc AZ race, im going back and plumbing anouther set of 4 1600cc injectors it was worth the try though, we wanted to find out for our selfs.

Back on topic, they are a awesome like Earl said. Its really nice to have guys that own a dyno and specialize only in Hondas. You dont get any of that import downtalk like you might at other shops. The dyno is top notch and never has a problem like we have had at other dyno shops. I give 2 thumbs and a baby leg up to them
Old 02-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Lierley Fab

Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (ninesecrx)

ok how far did you get
Old 02-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (fabman)

I like Autowave's dyno. Non of the dynojet BS.

art
Old 02-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (Arturbo)

Please dont rip my head off for this question. Would you really rather use a Dyno Pak than Dyno Jet - if so why I would really like to know the differences. I thought I did the research before we bought the DynoJet 248. By the sounds of it guess not !

As for Autowave I have heard about lots of great stuff coming out of their shop.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much do they charge to rent out the dyno?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (2FastxEg)

not sure..give them a call
Old 02-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

AUTOWAVE is a neat place, that's where me and my friend went for the seminar and it was a very professional place, and it was nice of them to allow us to check out the dyno for the class. The dyno is perfect even Ben loves them.

autowave
Old 02-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (RageDzine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RageDzine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please dont rip my head off for this question. Would you really rather use a Dyno Pak than Dyno Jet - if so why I would really like to know the differences. I thought I did the research before we bought the DynoJet 248. By the sounds of it guess not !

As for Autowave I have heard about lots of great stuff coming out of their shop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The real problem with using a DynoJet is the fact that you cannot hold a steady state load AND read power and torque in real time.

In order to properly tune an engine management system correctly, you will need to load the engine to each of the sites in the fuel and ignition maps and dial them in according to the real-time power and torque or A/F ratio they produce.

While there are some rare instances when a dynoJet can be modulated by a skilled operator to hold a load, the unit still cannot actually display realtime power and torque.

This is mainly due to its design. The unit actually calculates power by looking at the accleration rate that your wheels can apply to the roller. Once it has measured acceleration, then the force equation is simply: Force = Mass x Acceleration. Since the mass of the roller is a known entity, it is easy to backwards calculate how much power it should have taken {in a perfect scenario} to accelerate the roller in that amount of time.

The problem is.......to do it properly, we need to tune the engine at a constant state.......so no accleration = no power.

Other dynos actually measure the amount of force being applied to the roller through a "load cell". This allows them to display power an torque in real time, rather than only display the values after a run is complete and the calculations have been done to estimate the amount of power or torque was made.

Dyno Dynamics

DynoJet

-Ben
Old 02-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A BIG THANKS to AutoWave in Huntington Beach, CA (EFIGUY)

EFIGUY

Thanks for the schooling - we bought the Dyno Jet as a "TOOL" to help us tune street cars and advance our shop to that next level. After your anwser we will be doing research on the Dyno Dynamics maybe add this to our tools at our shop - THANK YOU
Old 02-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry i forgot - Do you think a Dyno Jet is still a good tool so say Street Cars and basic tuning ??
Old 02-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course, even a dynojet is a better tool than just street tuning.........it all depends on what you want your dyno to do.....

The dynojet is real good for back to back product comparison just to see which parts make the car accelerate better or worse.........it just ends up being a big waste of time for any serious engine tuning.

I think you have the right idea about having it as a tool.........just keep up that mentality and you'll do fine..........

another valuable tool you might think about adding to your shop is a trip to one of our EFI seminars........there is one in april for SoCal...........see our website for details......