Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Tricks to get the paint "wet?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricks to get the paint "wet?"

I'm no stranger to taking care of paint, but I am new to making it look good. So, I've been trying different things to make my paint look half as good as you guys, but I just don't have the right tools ... so I've been improvising =P

My hood has always been a problem for me because the paint is so soft, so every time I didn't use a microfiber towel on it, it would scratch the paint. After claying it and doing a light cut, I got most of the hard scratches out. From there, though, I had some slight holograms from the orbital (yeah, I know ...) so I decided it needed a polish, but the auto parts stores were closed, so I improvised. I had some Pledge furniture polish and wanted to try it out ... so here is the result!

The picture quality is crappy, but in real life, the holograms went away, the paint looks really wet, and in one picture I took, it looks like I took a picture of myself with stars in the background, but they were the rock chips in the paint =P
Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks to get the paint "wet?"

I can't imagine putting wood oil on your cars paint is going to be good for it. Wax/Sealent helps protect against uv rays, where as oil will probably magnify them. Its like if you put on baby oil instead of sunscreen you will burn.

Just a theory though.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I didn't think about that =P *runs outside to wax the car*
Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice man! at first i thought that the reflection of the tree and sky is an actuall airbrushed graphic on your hood
Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah X2 on the "dontreallythinkthatwoodpolishisgoodforyourpai nt" If I were you I would go out and do a heavy alkaline wash followed by an isopropyl alcohol wipedown to get rid of all the trace oils.

If you are looking for a really wet look I do have some recommendations. First of course you are going to want to start with the best that your paint can look. This means polishing. When you are satisfied that you have the nicest finish possible there are three easy steps to incredibly wet paint.

Glaze.
Everyone seems to think that glaze is somehow just a band-aid for bad paint. This is so not the case. Glaze adds a layer of softness and oil that will help you get the wet look you are after. I am a PoorBoy's ***** so of course I am going to recommend their Black Hole glaze.
You will want to apply the glaze first, anywhere between 1-3 coats should be fine.

Sealant
Now that you have all the beautiful glaze on your paint you want to lock it in with something, this is where sealant comes into play. A nice pure sealant will go on over the glaze and contribute to the depth of the paint. I like PoorBoy's EX-P, but thats just me, there are literally dozens of different sealants that you can choose from.
You can do anywhere between 1-5 coats of sealant. However usually after about 2 you get diminishing returns.

Wax
This only role that wax plays in this equation is for looks. After all that sealant wax will literally do no protection duties whatsoever. So might as well get something that is just for looks. Remember not to use a cleaner-wax, it will literally clean off all of the glaze and sealant you just worked so hard to apply.
Get a nice quality pure-carnuba wax. My personal favorites for dark cars are Poorboy's (shocker there) Natty's Blue and Pinnacle Souveran. The Pinnacle wax is rather pricey though so fair warning.
Usually 1-2 coats of wax is totally sufficient

A wax that oil-heavy will usually last about 2 weeks; maybe three if the car is garage kept.

You will literally have oily, liquid looking paint. That is a mile deep.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i use the EXACT process last posted and well ill let the results speak for themselves

and thats with a shitty *** camera. If i had my SLR you could really see how good it is