Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

my first detail :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first detail :)

i got a new buffer from my dad and i want to get into detailing cars but i have a few questions.

It has diffrent speeds and i dont know what speed?

i have a few waxs also but i dont know what one to use.

-meguiars gold class clear coat liquid car wax
-meguiars nxt gen tech wax
-meguiars deep crystal system step 3 wax

what and where would i use these?

-turtlewax rubbing compound heavy duty cleaner
-turtlewax polushing compound

i did use the 2 bucket method to was the car already and i dried it iwth a cotton towel. (thats all i could find)

please help and ty in advance
Old 04-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my first detail :)

taking a buffer to a car without any experience can have horrible results.. find something smaller to practice on till you are comfortable with it.

The deep crystal system wax would be your best bet out of those 3, liquid wax is garbage, and I can't stand the NXT wax personally, used it for about 5 mins detailing my boss's car and drove to the store and bought meguiars gold class paste wax. Best wax i've ever used.

Turtle wax products are garbage IMO as well. I now use a buffer for detailing and basically my detailing process of a car goes as followed:

1. High PH soap wash. *ex. dawn dish soap* this strips all old products off the car leaving a fresh surface to start with

2. Clay bar if necessary *use a lubricant like meguiars quick detailer* this pulls all of the contaminants that are in the paint and gives it a nice smooth feel. Run your fingers over the car and if you feel any rough spots then clay bar is a good idea.

3. Fine cut cleaner, I use 3M Perfect-It 2. Removes small swirls and scratches in the paint. If slightly deeper scratches a medium cut cleaner can be used.

4. Polish. I use 3M finesse-it 2. Freshens up the paint, restoring shine back into the paint.

5. Depending if the paint is brand new I use Meguiars show car glaze to help protect the paint and give it a nice wet deep look. I personally don't use wax on any paint thats 3 months or fresher.

5a. If the paint is older then you can use the show car glaze then follow that up with a coat of good paste wax to seal everything in since the show car glaze doesn't last a very long time.

6. Re-Wash the car with good car wash soap, meguiars gold class is what I use.

the 2 bucket method is good, get yourself a grit guard. I need to get one actually and get a good drying towel that's made for cars. Cotton towels scratch paint.

That's just how I personally do it, I'm no professional but my details always come out great.

do some reading on here the tutorials are awesome, autogeek also has some good reading.

hope this helped you
Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out www.autogeek.net forum

they will give you some techniques on how to use your buffer. to apply wax, i recommend applying it by hand, but its all personal preference.

take note of the steps above in that order. wash, clay, then start buffing/polishing.

between the buffing/polishing steps (which can range from one to three) do a 50/50 alcohol wipe down to make sure all the compound is off the surface.

glaze is to fill in micromars in the clear coat, sealants are basically a tougher longer lasting wax, and then finish off with a carnuba paste wax

for affordable high quality products, look into poorboys world products. a good affordable car wash is duragloss 902.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ty for the guidence and i will use it to help

i will post before and after pics later