Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

My Buff Job on a 2008 Accord Coupe. Automatic Car Washes Are The Devil!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Buff Job on a 2008 Accord Coupe. Automatic Car Washes Are The Devil!

Alright. My stepmom has owned this car since new. I told her the other day I bought a buffer finally and she said oh, come look at my car. I think it could use a buff. I got a couple glares on it and i was like omg, do you wash it with sandpaper? She said she's been taking it to the car washes that actually touch the car. Needless to say I gave her a quick lecture on how stupid she was. Haha. So yesterday I took the day to buff out all the scratches and the car turned out very nice. I was having trouble figuring out the best way to get pictures of all the scratches. Some pictures you can see them very clearly and others not so much. So go easy on me. I've got a list of cars wanting buff jobs done so i'll get better at this. . Only charged her 85$ so she can't really complain. Haha.

Alright. And now for a few random 50/50 shots. You can see how deep the scratches are in some of these.

KK. And now a rest shot with the swirl remover and then what it looked like after i got everything swirled, wiped off, and a coat of the new meguiars 2.0 tech wax.

I was getting very closterphobic(?) in the work area. Haha. And it was 8 o clock and 20 degrees outside so I couldn't get any good pictures. I might try and get some pictures today...but it's 25 degrees with 30mph winds. Haha. We'll see.

But let me know what you guys think. thanks for readin.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My Buff Job on a 2008 Accord Coupe. Automatic Car Washes Are The Devil!

good worksmanship
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Buff Job on a 2008 Accord Coupe. Automatic Car Washes Are The Devil!

Good job. I feel you on the claustrophobic feeling. I wish I had a nice open area to work on my car. My garage is probably cramped a little more than yours.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job! Those new Hondas oxidize almost instantly... seen a few of them much worse than that. I've personally had to tell customers that there was nothing I could do for the crows feet on their Civic that was less than two years old. I'm not sure whats going on that makes it happen so quickly but make sure she keeps that paint job protected! Wax aside, what products are you using?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not using anything too fancy. meguiars m85 (diamond cut compound) and meguiars swirl free polish. I think they are the old version of the m105/205. and some meguiars pads. just got a kit of 3m perfect-it products which is what I'm used to using so i'll try that on my next vehicle. Having a problem now with the wax. Trying out the Meguiars Nxt 2.0 tech wax. I let the crap sit for 2 hours and it still wasn't dry. It's about 25 degrees so that's no doubt the culprit. lol. It's leaving very very faint swirl marks. Going to try getting a whole bunch of applicator pads and use one per panel. Try and do very thin coats. Once the pad gets moist it's kinda hard to put on light coats.....but no worries. I'll figure it out. And thanks to everyone for the nice words.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So yeah, I pulled it out in the sun today. Stupid wax left faint swirls. here's the pics. we'll see tomorrow if I was able to correct it.

In these pics you can see the faint lines coming off the sun. there lies the problem.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have encountered the same problem with Megs 2.0. Very frustrating. On any day above 70 degrees and fairly low humidity, it dries in about half an hour and wipes off clean. However, on humid or rainy days, I have left it alone for 12 hours and it still streaked. It is some really kick *** wax but only in the perfect conditions...

What Perfect-it stuff do you have? I've got their #1 rubbing compound, #2 machine polish and #3 ultrafine machine polish and its a wonderful water based combination. I have found some cheaper and more user friendly alternatives for #1 and #2 but I think I will use the ultrafine polish for any car I detail. That stuff rocks.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldn't run snow tires on just the front in FWD cars. Did you use a DA or rotary buffer. Those lines almost to me look like buffer trails but not sure. I have the 85 is pretty good stuff but i have 105 as well. Depends on what amount of correction the person wants to what i use
Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 PM

what kinda buffer do you use. It produced great results
Old 12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually got my rotary buffer off harbor freight. Can't beat the price. And so yesterday I let the wax dry for 2 hours before I wiped off and it still didn't dry, but I wiped it as good as I could. Today I went over and pulled it out in the sun and the same faint swirls were there. I got a rag and wiped and the swirls moved. lol. So I just massaged it off; got the swirls to go away....which tells me that even after 24 hours the crap will not dry in this weather. So i'm going to hunt for some wax that works better in the cold...if there's such a thing. But with the 3m compound, I just use the #1 and #2. Used to work at a body shop and I would use #1 and #2, I could just buff the swirl remover and it would just kinda disappear and I could pull it out in the sun with perfect results. But that was a heated garage...I doubt the swirl remover will dry in this cold. I have a lot of testing to do needless to say. Haha. But monday I'll be doing my dad's 2003 ford ranger...Black....so we'll see how things go for sure on that. lol. thanks for the support again.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your problem is the weather for sure. the compunds cant react normally like they would in the 70+ degree temps. The heated garage will help a ton
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Looks sharp, Swirls are the devil indeed. I like to use a black foam pad with chemical guys scratch and swirl buff and follow it with butter wet wax.