Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

how to clay bar (what do you use for "lube")

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to clay bar (what do you use for "lube")

So I have been detailing cars since I could drive but now I am getting into more serious detailing and have been reading up on clay baring and in every write up they just say they use "lube" on the car and the clay most kits come with a detailing spray or something to that effect but they leave a waxy residue on the surface and I thought that the purpose was to keep the surface wax free until so the compound can work properly. So my question is what "lube" do you use when you clay bar a car? I was thinking about distilled water, or just claying it when I am washing the car? any suggestions would be welcomed.

Mike
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to clay bar (what do you use for "lube")

Using a clay bar, if done right, should remove any wax on the car.
And the answer for your "lube" you can use Meguiar's Quik Detailer.

Last edited by ddh052286; 02-20-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Answer
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but doesnt that leave a wax layer after use?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It shouldn't. You can use Pinnacle Clay Lubricant. A clay bar will remove any wax period. You might still have some clay bar residue when finished but each area that you finish just respray it with whatever the lube you are using and whip. A clay bar removes any thing above the paint surface so there won't be any wax, maybe some clay bar residue which can be removed from the process above.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome man thanks for your input, now i just ahve to wait for the weather to warm up.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save yourself the $$$$, and make your own.

1. Spray bottle.
2. Dish soap.
3. Water.

I will guarantee that will be smoother and slicker than anything thing (Meguiar) you can buy.

Plus, you will need to need to wash your car afterwards, so the extra soap will help. The goal it to keep the junk suspended (in the soapy water) as slick as possible so it does not get back on your car's surface. Keep it wet. Use plenty because the soap and water is free. So when you rinse (after clay) it all just flows off.

The only caution I would add, is to hang on to your clay bar good. Or cut it in half, or whatever you are comfortable holding. Once you drop it, it's toast. You don't want the bar to pick up dirt from the ground to grind into your paint surface. Plus, it will give you some fresh clay for your next car. Seal it air tight in a sandwitch bag to keep it from drying out.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man thats what i was thinking using distilled water or soapy water. again thanks for the advice.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here we go

wash the car very thoroughly.
rinse.
using the soap mitt, glide the mitt over the paint and use the soap suds as lubricant, then begin to clay the car using a back and forth motion(NEVER IN A CIRCULAR MOTION!!! will leave nasty swirls!).
every panel on the car shall be clayed using about 5 lbs of pressure.
rinse the car.
dry the car using water sprite chamois.
apply favorite wax to paint and glass.
shine up moulding with favorite restore product
and remove with microfiber towel.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes what I do, if I know I'm doing a thorough job (aka washing the car before and after claying), you can use the soapy water from your clean bucket (assuming you use the 2bm) and it works just fine.

If I'm not going all out and don't plan on waxing, I just use a diluted QD from Chemical Guys.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by midnightbluefc
here we go

wash the car very thoroughly.
rinse.
using the soap mitt, glide the mitt over the paint and use the soap suds as lubricant, then begin to clay the car using a back and forth motion(NEVER IN A CIRCULAR MOTION!!! will leave nasty swirls!).
every panel on the car shall be clayed using about 5 lbs of pressure.
rinse the car.
dry the car using water sprite chamois.
apply favorite wax to paint and glass.
shine up moulding with favorite restore product
and remove with microfiber towel.
X2
Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some clays are pretty sensitive to soap, and dish soap can definitely degrade clay.

optimum instant detailer is, of course, an instant detailer. it is also fantastic as a "drying aid", as it helps boost gloss and slickness greatly after washing, but it also is an ideal clay lube. one $20 32oz bottle makes 160oz of ultra high quality versatile solution.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have always used the Clay Bar detailer spray, but if I am out, a quick detailer type wax spray always works well. Don't worry about adding or stripping wax to the finish, because you should ALWAYS wax the car again after it is clayed.

My old routine for detailing before a car show was wash, dry, clay bar, Zymol HD Cleanse (or 3M Hand Glaze), then a Zymol or McGuiars carnauba wax by hand. The key is to do it all a day before the show to give the wax some time to "set" and the next day a once-over with a Quick Detailer spray wax. It makes the wax and final finish really POP and removes all of the rag swirls from the previous day's work.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I work at a High end car detail store called griots garage its in washington state. claying is a easy step. Claying is designed to remove any dirt, chemicals, road grim, particales, that are inbeded in the paint claybaring will no remove wax it will actually enhances the wax. As for lube we sell a product called speed shine, or meguiars sells a product called slick mist. If still confused go on youtube type in griots garage clay bar
Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Trial User

I've been "seriously" detailing for around 8 years now. When I clay I do it right after a good wash, before even drying the car. You simply need to kill any chance of friction the clay will make with the paint, so soap or even just water works fine. After I clay I usually soap and rinse the car once more but that's optional.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by R013
I've been "seriously" detailing for around 8 years now. When I clay I do it right after a good wash, before even drying the car. You simply need to kill any chance of friction the clay will make with the paint, so soap or even just water works fine. After I clay I usually soap and rinse the car once more but that's optional.
X2
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I usually clay bar once a year (I do the whole shabang at once), I have a meguiar's bar that comes with the quick detailer and rag but I use soapy water as a lubricant. Always wash first, clay bar, wash again, polishing compound, turtle hard shell (hate this ****, it's nearly impossible to get off once it's dry), but again, I only go through that process once every year. I usually use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax but for some reason I think that stuff harms the paint and I'll be switching...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
I usually use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax but for some reason I think that stuff harms the paint and I'll be switching...
You think so? I've used that for about 20 years, off and on. Meaning, I use it like every few years. It's clear coat safe, so I think it should be ok.

Clay bar is like shaving. But IMO, there are stains and wax build ups that I find Meguiars Cleaner Wax works great.

When I use it (which is not often), I follow it up with another coat of wax.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been usuing the Meguiars touch spray as a lube for clay baring & it seems to work out well.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys using that antiquated stuff like turtle wax and megs cleaner wax...you seriously need to check out the optimum line.

turtle wax...use opti-seal AND/OR optimum spray wax. you can apply both to everything, even glass and trim. the best in protection.

megs cleaner wax...use poli-seal. it works by hand to hit the same sort of defects the megs cleaner wax does, doesn't dust and leaves a synthetic sealant protection behind.

clay lube...use the optimium instant detailer which comes in a concentrate which yields a ton of high quality clay lube/instant detailer/post-wash drying aid slickness & gloss enhancer. it won't break down your clay and it is incredibly slick.

i truly believe the optimum product line has changed detailing permanently.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

soap and water works fine
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like built hatch said, onr for clay lube, waterless car wash, touch up cleaner/quick detailer.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick Detailers are great clay lubricants. In the past, I've used a GOOD car wash shampoo diluted in water in a spray bottle as a clay lube.

If you're claying, you should:
1. Give thorough Wash with a good car wash shampoo
2. Rinse - No need to dry if you rinsed thoroughly. The water left will help lubricate the clay
3. Clay
4. Second Wash (to remove any clay residue)
5. Dry
6. Move on into any paint correction, glazes, or sealants/waxes

Dish soap is harsh on automobile paint. You should pretty much NEVER use it. Some people say to use it when stripping wax/sealant, but the clay bar will do that for you.