Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Weber Install - Cut Throttle Cable End?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weber Install - Cut Throttle Cable End?

Ok, I have been cleaning out my engine bay doing the devac, and am installing a new Weber K726 like so many on here have. Here is a picture of my stock throttle cable:

And I need to fit in through this hole in the linkage on the Weber:

Do you guys just cut the end bar off the stock throttle cable and try to feed it through the hole? Is there any easier way to do this that I am just missing?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weber Install - Cut Throttle Cable End?

If the design on your Weber is the same as the one for my 83, it is designed for you to clamp the throttle cable between that plate and another piece. You cut the **** off the end, and sandwich the cable between a washer and that plate on the rotating shaft. [Edit, your kit is the same. The hole appears to be for the cable, my memory has failed me as mine was the same]...just look into what I did below.
It is a really bad design in my opinion, but they have sold it for 30 years. Doubtful they would mod it now.

Can you mod the stock throttle linkage arm to fit the Weber?

If not, I bought a Weber linkage arm for a Suzuki Samurai and trimmed it to fit( it has a channel for the cable to ride in...it put the cable into a bind though ). After trimming the channel off, the cable no longer was in a bind and works freely.

The samurai linkage accepts the end of the Honda throttle cable with no issues. A grinder or Dremel tool with a reinforced cut off wheel works fine for the cut.

Sorry I don't have any pics, but you will see what I am talking about.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info. I noticed a guy at rpr that used his old stock linkage and made it work with the new Weber, I'm going to see if I can do this, should be the easiest.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/forum...c=36002&page=2
Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The pics that Mercury posted at RPR where he used the stock linkage with the Weber carb...how in the world did he do that? My stock linkage's mounting hole is a good bit too small to fit onto the new truncated bolt coming out of the Weber. I saw his pics and was really optimistic that I could use the old linkage, but now I just don't see how it's possible.

Has anyone used the old linkage with these? if so, how?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the end off of the cable. Go to local parts store and buy generic pack of cable stops from help section.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, cut the cable got the cab installed, I forgot to hook up a vacuum line to the vacuum advance so it didn't start at first. Once I got that taken care of it started right up, but rpms went up quickly. Going to have to assess it tomorrow and see what I'm doing wrong. I assume there are just some vacuum leaks that I haven't taken care of.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAM_Designs
Well, cut the cable got the cab installed, I forgot to hook up a vacuum line to the vacuum advance so it didn't start at first. Once I got that taken care of it started right up, but rpms went up quickly. Going to have to assess it tomorrow and see what I'm doing wrong. I assume there are just some vacuum leaks that I haven't taken care of.
You probably have a vacuum leak. Also, make sure you have a check valve between the booster and the carb.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up just having the throttle cable set too tight, got it straightened out and it work fine now. I took it off the jack stands for the first time in a couple weeks, took the wife for a little spin across town to my parent's house and back...it ran good.