Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Stalling/ stumbling intermittent problem with my Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling/ stumbling intermittent problem with my Accord

Hi, I bought a 1984 Accord with only 134k miles on it for $600 and it ran great, although it would sometimes want to stall when idling at a stop. I have the previous 12 years service records and personally know the mechanic that worked on the car. So, it's a good car. At first Seafoam would cure any stalling.

However, the problem has since gotten worse. When the car is first cranked, it runs well, but in a few minutes will start to surge/stutter/stumble at speed and will stall when coming to a stop. When it stalls there is a weird gas smell.

I have not had time to do anything to it and instead of trying to do everything, was hoping someone here would have an idea where to look first?

Other than these two problems, the car runs fine, no smoke, no oil leaks, engine sounds like new.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Stalling/ stumbling intermittent problem with my Accord

Originally Posted by 84Accordy
When the car is first cranked, it runs well, but in a few minutes will start to surge/stutter/stumble at speed and will stall when coming to a stop. When it stalls there is a weird gas smell.

I have not had time to do anything to it and instead of trying to do everything, was hoping someone here would have an idea where to look first?

With the strong smell of gas, make sure that the choke is fully open, pop the air filter cover and see if the flapper is up. If not you can try to force it open with some electrical 10 gauge solid wire, put it in the throat and see if it cures the problem.