Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

i have a 1985 prelude that is a dirt track car. i am building an ls vtec and was wondering if there is any possible way of me puttinng it in this car. i cant find any mounts for for this set up so thats my main set back. if anybody can give me any input i would greatly appreciate it. has anybody heard of anyone doing this? please give me direction. i really want to keep using this car if at all possible since its already caged, has a fuel cell, race seat, and 5 pt harness and is set up perfectly for my track. i just need the extra power from the ls vtec to consistently run 1st.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: please help

you could go with a cheaper LS for a nice kick in the *** of power. i don't see how high rpm vtec is going to help in dirt. 40 more hp from a cheap LS would be serious bang for the buck.

but..

those are oldish pics now. i need to get some new ones.
it's been done a handful of times. i'm in the middle of it now, although i likely started it before anyone i will now apparently be finishing almost last.

anyway. the basics are..
1: there are no mounts for it
-- a DA crossbar bolts up. use this front mount as the start to lining up the engine.
-- all 3 others are custom weld ins. however you wanna do it. relatively simple welds needed though.
2: DA axles work fine
3: if you have a carb model, you will have to swap hubs
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I'm currently turning 7 to 7 1/2k on my rpms out there which may suprise you. So I believe the lsv should work nicely. I'm very glad to see this has been done before. If you have ANY other info or pics or ideas on the swap please post or pm me them. Thanks so much for the info already given!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dig around prelude power and 3geez. i worn you though, if you tell people you are spinning your 12 valve that much you are going to be hounded to share your current setup :D.
you can find plenty of info but once you know the crossbar trick and the axles needed it is more a matter of simply doing it and adjusting to what you need.

for me personally, i am using the DA T bracket and trans bracket/mount. the rear mount i am not welding, i simply got a 3/8's steel plate and bolted a typical ring type mount onto it (drilled/tapped the plate) then bolted it down to the stock points. the engine just pushes straight down on it and welding isn't necessary. though it may eventually stress crack, i think that would take a good amount of time.
the timing belt side, use a 94+ teg bracket and mount. then for that and the trans you only need to weld in a vertical cage to bolt the 17mm too.

i will try to get some new pics tomorrow evening.