Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Just Picked up a 1986 Honda Civic DX Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Picked up a 1986 Honda Civic DX Project Car

Hello Ladies and Gents thought i would post my Recent pick up which falls under (Classic) so here is it and would like any opinions on what i should start with first (fixing it up obviously), From what i know the car does start although it takes quite a few cranks to get it to start while playing with the throttle but will not stay on at idle , Timing is off but not sure by how much just yet, its Manual transmission 5 speed and takes a real high rev to get it to move but it does lol, Interior is pretty bad and will need to be redone but thats later i want to get the car to run/idle/start like it should first, So if anyone can give me some pointers and links/pics to parts etc i would appreciate it thanks

Specs: 86 Honda Civic DX, 1.5L 3 Barrel Carb, 5 Speed Manual Tranny

Looking For: Opinions on how to Fix it up so need options on what to get to start my project

Old 04-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just Picked up a 1986 Honda Civic DX Project Car

Dam, nice. The body looks pretty mint.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
Dam, nice. The body looks pretty mint.
Yea it was and got to say I was suprised to find it in such good condition, any suggestions on were I should start with the rebirth of it? I just plan to make it slightly better than factory not trying to Race it out just want it as a daily driver any help is appreciated!

John
Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

start with a full tune up, thats the first thing in any build. Don't know much about carbs but I would guess take it off and clean it, change the gasket and make sure all the vacuum hose arent clogged or leaking. Pick up a helms manual, it will be VERY helpful.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few ideas and suggestions:
On cars this old one should consider the timing belt, water pump and thermostat.

A tune up with fresh spark plugs, cap and rotor and wires if needed.
Fresh fluids like oil (oil filter too), coolant and tranny fluid is nice.

All in all, you want to secure your investment by doing a compression check first thing so you know "what you've got" and how much to invest if any if that is a show stopper.

If the timing belt breaks that can toast the motor, and they often do at that age. Plus you said the timing is off. Check the vacuum lines against the sticker in the engine compartment and replace AND NUMBER as needed. Give the fuel lines a look over and consider new fuel filters.

Our 1986 Wagovan needed all the classic things of the age: Timing belt, thermostat, water pump and the carb rebuilt. We only had one issue with the vacuum lines. The coolant and oil got replaced and new tune parts helped. The car when running gets over 40MPG.

Rear wheel bearings are highly likely also.

Our original idle problem was caused but a vacuum leak between the carb and manifold. You might want do a vacuum test. We invested in the Factory Repair Manual from Honda - glad we did.

Last edited by VitalBodies; 04-06-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Rear wheel bearings and typos.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtec8200
start with a full tune up, thats the first thing in any build. Don't know much about carbs but I would guess take it off and clean it, change the gasket and make sure all the vacuum hose arent clogged or leaking. Pick up a helms manual, it will be VERY helpful.
Thanks for the Info i will definitely pick up a Manual for sure as you can see from the first couple of pic's im a Domestic guy and thats my other Project 72 Chevy Impala Custom but thats another topic i appreciate your imput

Originally Posted by VitalBodies
Here are a few ideas and suggestions:
On cars this old one should consider the timing belt, water pump and thermostat.

A tune up with fresh spark plugs, cap and rotor and wires if needed.
Fresh fluids like oil (oil filter too), coolant and tranny fluid is nice.

All in all, you want to secure your investment by doing a compression check first thing so you know "what you've got" and how much to invest if any if that is a show stopper.

If the timing belt breaks that can toast the motor, and they often do at that age. Plus you said the timing is off. Check the vacuum lines against the sticker in the engine compartment and replace AND NUMBER as needed. Give the fuel lines a look over and consider new fuel filters.

Our 1986 Wagovan needed all the classic things of the age: Timing belt, thermostat, water pump and the carb rebuilt. We only had one issue with the vacuum lines. The coolant and oil got replaced and new tune parts helped. The car when running gets over 40MPG.

Rear wheel bearings are highly likely also.

Our original idle problem was caused but a vacuum leak between the carb and manifold. You might want do a vacuum test. We invested in the Factory Repair Manual from Honda - glad we did.
Very good to know about these car's as i dont know much about them and the more help i can get from those who have been through it will be very helpful, i will definitely get a Manual on this car, i do see a Sticker on the hood with a diagram of the Vacuum hose's and were they should go and its in suprisingly good shape but i will for sure pick up those parts you mentioned and that will be a stepping stone, BTW would you happen to know what kind of compression im looking for in each cylinder so i know what to look for thanks

John
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the timing is off it may be because the timing belt is stretched - not to say that is why, but it is likely and you really want to avoid engine failure if you can.

Our belt was stretched and nearly at the point of breaking and thus a great time to do the water pump which is a great time to do the thermostat which is a great time to do a coolant flush. : )

Not sure about the compression as the factory manual is in the garage and I am not - I will try to look that up tomorrow - I if I forget you can PM me.

The factory manual was close to $80 used but I would buy one again with no hesitation. In fact, I would buy even if I never planned to get my hands dirty and do my own work - has been a real saver for having work done also. I do a lot of my own car work but not all of it and even then the manual can clue me into when to do the work or pass the job to others.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took some of the info I wrote to you (personally) and chopped it up and added to it on this tread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/classic-hondas-106/bought-classic-honda-where-begin-thread-2755947/

I told my friend (a while back) "I have a Honda Wagovan" and sent a few images of the car to him.
I had totally forgot he had had one in the past.
He picked out all these odd details from the photos and asked me about them.
Turns out there are all these specific classic things that go wrong on these Wagovans (like any car has it quirks) and he knew them all!
I will ask he what they all were again and if he responds I will add that to the other thread I mentioned in the the form of an EDIT of my post.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the timing is off it may be because the timing belt is stretched - not to say that is why, but it is likely and you really want to avoid engine failure if you can.

Our belt was stretched and nearly at the point of breaking and thus a great time to do the water pump which is a great time to do the thermostat which is a great time to do a coolant flush. : )

Not sure about the compression as the factory manual is in the garage and I am not - I will try to look that up tomorrow - I if I forget you can PM me.

The factory manual was close to $80 used but I would buy one again with no hesitation. In fact, I would buy even if I never planned to get my hands dirty and do my own work - has been a real saver for having work done also. I do a lot of my own car work but not all of it and even then the manual can clue me into when to do the work or pass the job to others.
I took some of the info I wrote to you (personally) and chopped it up and added to it on this tread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2755947

I told my friend (a while back) "I have a Honda Wagovan" and sent a few images of the car to him.
I had totally forgot he had had one in the past.
He picked out all these odd details from the photos and asked me about them.
Turns out there are all these specific classic things that go wrong on these Wagovans (like any car has it quirks) and he knew them all!
I will ask he what they all were again and if he responds I will add that to the other thread I mentioned in the the form of an EDIT of my post.
Okay Thanks alot.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One more thing....Are brakes pretty Easy to do on these? I'm pretty familiar with brakes just curious if it requires anything special for this year since i haven't had alot of time to look into it just yet with work etc let me know thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back brakes are easy if you do not have any mystery problems. If you do the bearings you will need a 32MM socket. We have not done the front brakes as yet. The bearings are a classic thing that is needed but now if they have not been done if your miles are normal or high. If you do the back brakes it is easy to check or adjust the parking brake.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, the Miles are exactly 100k and some change and from what im told these are original miles and from the looks of the car etc i believe it, Back brakes are drum and front are disc so should be pretty Easy, looks just like my chevy's just 5x smaller lol
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is what, only 3000 miles a year? Wow, I would think of that as LOW miles. If that is true you might want to INSPECT the brakes and such and see what the wear is rather than just jumping on replacing unless you just want that job done and out of the way. Many of these rigs this age can have way way more miles than that. I would figure 200K+ as not unlikely for this year. They used to say 15K miles a years was average although I have seen it to be more like 7500. Did you ever do a Carfax to confirm the miles and condition? Did you check the title to see that the car was not in an accident and then reassembled - this is an import factor because when they have been recked they are often beyond what the back yard mechanics can or want to fix? The interior would make me think the miles are higher but it is hard to tell from just photos sometimes. Seems like a fun rig to fix up!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Trial User

Nice project car. I'm currently driving almost the same vehicle as a daily driver WHILE trying to nurse it back to health. It has issues, but passed inspection.

I've got a 86 blue DX hatch, just like yours, but it's an auto. I got it for free, just had to tow it away. It didn't take much to get it on the road, but it still has some issues that need sorting. First and foremost the coolant system as summer approaches.

Unfortunately, this was a New Hampshire car (now a Vermont car), so the body isn't in nearly the shape yours is. Fortunately, though, it's got a scant 86k miles on it. The original owner was a little old lady for 21 years, then a college kid, now me.

I'll let you know anything I come across that may help you, and try to help via any experiences I have with the car. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I can accomplish most backyard car projects reliably.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tekamul
Nice project car. I'm currently driving almost the same vehicle as a daily driver WHILE trying to nurse it back to health. It has issues, but passed inspection.

I've got a 86 blue DX hatch, just like yours, but it's an auto. I got it for free, just had to tow it away. It didn't take much to get it on the road, but it still has some issues that need sorting. First and foremost the coolant system as summer approaches.

Unfortunately, this was a New Hampshire car (now a Vermont car), so the body isn't in nearly the shape yours is. Fortunately, though, it's got a scant 86k miles on it. The original owner was a little old lady for 21 years, then a college kid, now me.

I'll let you know anything I come across that may help you, and try to help via any experiences I have with the car. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I can accomplish most backyard car projects reliably.

Maybe we can help each other, As i am a mechanic just not on Foreign car's im a Domestic man but with the Economy right now Foreign gets alot more MPG than any of my Domestic's all put together lol, But looks like now i have another issue, I replaced the Spark Plugs/Spark Plug Wire/Distributor Cap and Ignition Rotor (little part under the cap)/Fuel Filter/Brakes both front and rear and now the car wont start any idea's??
Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Double check the wires go to the correct cylinders - easy mistake on that car.
What are the symptoms.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I triple checked all the Wire's/Coil wire and everything seems to be in Order I've got the Firing Order Correct, the symptoms are....Cranking and spitting white smoke out of the Carb it doesnt even wanna turn over its like 3-4 cranks then spits over and over, I've attached some pics of the Distributor Cap/New Wires/Fuel Filter which is all i replaced in the Motor....

Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the inside of the cap look ok?
White smoke, is that smoke or gas vapor you think?
Sounds dangerous if gas vapor...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spark, fuel or air? Do you think that is vacuum related if your sure your sure you have the firing order right? Considering the that the wires are all that should have effected that - of what you mentioned I ask again. Do you feel it is not flooded? Does it start with the old wires - are the new ones tweaked?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the inside of the cap look ok?
White smoke, is that smoke or gas vapor you think?
Sounds dangerous if gas vapor...
Yes under the cap looks okay considering the distributor itself is old and the only thing new is the Rotor/cap i put on.

Its white/blue smoke now is all i can tell you, im in the car while trying to start it so hard to tell if its gas vapor or smoke but i can tell you this is i smell gas but im not using the throttle to try and start it, Im letting it crank on its own without throttle assistance.

Originally Posted by Vital Bodies
Spark, fuel or air? Do you think that is vacuum related if your sure your sure you have the firing order right? Considering the that the wires are all that should have effected that - of what you mentioned I ask again. Do you feel it is not flooded? Does it start with the old wires - are the new ones tweaked?
not sure if its vacuum related as all i took off was the air cleaner, i have not tried the old wire's back on yet and i dont believe its flooded as mentioned above im not pressing the throttle while trying to start it but i can definitely smell gas, and i inspected all the new wire's they seem to be connecting just fine into the plugs/distributor cap-coil so im still
Old 04-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That thing is pretty damn clean! Awesome find!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AuggieMac
That thing is pretty damn clean! Awesome find!
Thanks....was shocked to see it in such good shape body wise that is...Engine well thats another story.

Did a Compression test today and got a big 0 out of Cylinder 1 so time to get a new Motor/Tranny i will keep you all posted on my build.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay tried to get it to work again without having to go through the motor swap but still a no go, Here's a Video hopefully someone can tell me what maybe i did wrong, Recap of what i did:

Replaced Distributor Cap
Distributor Rotor
Spark Plug Wires/Coil Wire
Spark Plugs

And after all that the car will not start anymore, The Timing was set to TDC the Firing order was Set 1-3-4-2, All fuse's were Replaced also as a just in case, Did not remove any Vacuum lines other than what was connection to the Air Cleaner that sits on top of the Carb so Need some Help!!!

Short Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HgLaQ6B6M
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what engine do you plan on putting in there?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still haven't really looked into a Motor Swap just yet, But i have gotten some Opinions and most say B18?

Quick Reply: Just Picked up a 1986 Honda Civic DX Project Car