Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

If you live outside the USA..... I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you live outside the USA..... I need your help!

Any of you guys that aren't in the US, and feel like helping out an enthusiast, please let me know. I need a rear window seal for a 2G (80-83) Civic. Over the past year, and with the help of 86si, I've done a pretty exhaustive search in the USA with no results. I also had a contact in NZ trying to hunt these down for me with no luck. I desperately need this seal, and this is pretty much my absolute last hope.

The Honda part numbers that will work are as follows:

74202-SA0-901 - I've been told this part number doesn't work outside of the USA, but it's worth a shot.

74202-SA0-020 - Should be a worldwide part number

74202-SA0-000 - Should also be a part number good worldwide

If anybody thinks they can help me, please PM me or reply here.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 PM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: If you live outside the USA..... I need your help! (Jonathan_ED3)

Hey man, I know you asked me about this before, to see if my guy in Japan could find this for you.

He's still looking into it, I guess this part isn't in stock with Honda of Japan or any dealers there any longer either, so he's trying to find other sources. I'll definately let you know if he finds anything though.

Jason.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to look about this !
Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Zenguy)

You could maybe make your own or go with lexan.
What about a used one?
might be hard to find one not dry rotted or would seal when you switched it over huh.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how would I make my own?

And you're right...I can't find any used ones that are not dry rotted. That's the problem with my current seal.

I would like to keep it original style (not go with lexan) because I have a NOS rear window louver set that's waiting to go on. But it has to install under the seal, so everything is kind of on hold right now.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_ED3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how would I make my own? </TD></TR></TABLE>

stupid question... is this just the black part that goes around the rear glass?

i always thought it was the silicon that held the glass down, which should allow you to fit the piece off another model hatch, no?

perhpas it would be possible to find some generic blakc channelling with the correct size center bead, and you could gentley heat the edges to make the turns in the correct spots.

all speculation, and if im making no sense just me.

got any images of the part in question?

the only reason i posted was because my brother had his windshield redone on his 90 si, and the reused the factory black trim piece, and it looks like crap.

i had a customer yesterday who also had a 2nd gen si, and he had a really great looking fresh aftermarket trim on it, i could tell it wasnt oem, and from the looks of it, they probably order it by the roll and bend it to fit their needs.

perhaps try good local glass places or other car resto places, i know the domestics have a network of aftermarket stuff to do their restorations, perhpas something from one of those companies could be modified to suit your needs, you know?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's not like the newer cars where it's just held in with glue.

This is actually a ~1.5" wide molded rubber piece that goes all the way around the front and rear glass, and is the exact shape of the windows. It has two very sharp corners (90 degrees), and the top two edges are a smooth radius curve. It'd be pretty hard to make my own unless I could figure out how to bond a universal weatherstrip into the radius I need.

I might be SOL guys. I appreciate all of you helping me.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_ED3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it's not like the newer cars where it's just held in with glue.

This is actually a ~1.5" wide molded rubber piece that goes all the way around the front and rear glass, and is the exact shape of the windows. It has two very sharp corners (90 degrees), and the top two edges are a smooth radius curve. It'd be pretty hard to make my own unless I could figure out how to bond a universal weatherstrip into the radius I need.

I might be SOL guys. I appreciate all of you helping me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its that wide?!? damn.

i wouldnt worry about the bend, you can get generic stipping to make a turn like that, but the width is going to be a problem.

so what actually holds the glass in? do they have a system of brackets?

sorry if these ideas are way off. i am also pming wes V to look at this thread he is very clever at making things.

would you mind taking some photos of your problem areas, it might stir up ideas.

dont give up!

i mean, what would a guy with a 1939 ford coupe do if he needed something like this? there has to be a way if the hot rod guys can do it.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know man...that's my thinking.

What do guys with one-off restorations do when they need these kinds of items?

I've been to a few restoration places...and they just really blew me off. I guess my Honda isn't worthy. You would think a paying customer is a paying customer no matter the vehicle - I guess not.