Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

hey just joined here

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hey just joined here

Hey figured I would join up, have a 1986 Accord hatchback full custom job that's being rebuilt again right now, few engine pictures, the SU's are being mocked up at the moment, don't pay any attention to any loose wires or hoses, when everything fits it will all be in it's proper place.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
longest project ever

Default Re: hey just joined here

anyone alive in here?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These parts of the boards arent exactly the busiest. Do you have any pictures of the whole car?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is all that? the intake looks so complex, and the carbs are so close to the firewall i doubt they will be able to pull in air freely.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
longest project ever

there is plenty of room i don't see any problems with this engine, as far as the entire car, haven't updated the site for a while, need to get busy on it, but some pictures on here. a lot of stuff has gotten updated or changed since my last site update. http://losts86hatch.tripod.com/
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tim you ricer

JK
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by civic accord honda
Tim you ricer

JK
not even close, although the carbs are jdm. and not available out of any catalog, just not jdm to this engine, but still are.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by falkenfighter
what is all that? the intake looks so complex, and the carbs are so close to the firewall i doubt they will be able to pull in air freely.
I can put my hand between those air cleaners and the firewall, you are splitting the air requirements of a 2.0 liter engine between two carbs, there is plenty of room, it's not like I had tons of room to work with in the engine compartment, it's not that complex either, I guess it looks that way to others because they didn't design it, but it's really not. I went through about a dozen prototype air cleaners before I figured out something that would work. Those are aluminum aircraft tailwheel hub halves, modified into air cleaners. they have velocity stacks and the filtering is done with oiled foam filter material, there is a heavy perforated stainless piece that fits in each one,and secures with a snap ring. this holds the foam element in place. If it comes down to it i can drill additional air holes around the perimeter of the filter, but i doubt it will be needed. The car had an excellent oil separator and pcv system so i kept that, keeps the oil nice and sludge free, and i kept the canister for the fuel bowls and made it work. I don't care about wasting gas while driving, but no point it letting it evaporate out of the tank and fuel bowls while the car is sitting. that's just money going up in the air. I also have an oil cooler setup, just waiting to get an oil thermostat to finish hooking it up. no room for it in front so it uses a Bosch squirrel cage blower to force air through the cooler when needed. the rest of the stuff are just coolant hoses and other lines I 've converted to AN stuff instead of rubber hose. the thing next to the throttle cable allows one cable to pull both chokes in sync with one cable. Bit of engineering in that, tested it and it moves smoothly with no issues.

Last edited by lostforawhile; 09-13-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good job man, built not bought. These older cars, sometimes u just gotta roll your own!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by 1grex
Good job man, built not bought. These older cars, sometimes u just gotta roll your own!
that's a good way to put it, pretty much everything on the car is roll your own. If you look close you'll see the power steering reservoir is made from an old aluminum army canteen. lots of stuff like that on the car. the vacuum storage bottle is an old fire extinguisher for example, no where to put it under the hood, so i made some brackets and mounted it to the floor right in front of the rear seat. waiting on the money to get an odyssey battery, I didn't have room under the hood due to the cooler in it's place, so i turned an old tool box into a battery box, all the fuse blocks that are added on are in there, as well as the main breaker right off of the battery. painted it black, got some vintage Honda patches, and scored a really rare Nelson Dunn aeroquip decal, from the eighties, as well as a huey lewis decal. it bolts behind the passenger seat through the floor pan. No one ever uses the back seats anyway. One of my trick items. I think that Odyssey battery might weigh 20 pounds? Really all that's needed in a small car like this
Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic accord honda
Tim you ricer

JK
LOL, Kettle calling the pot black (yes its reversed, because in this case Tim is not a ricer, whereas blakey poo is)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by 2DrSE-i
LOL, Kettle calling the pot black (yes its reversed, because in this case Tim is not a ricer, whereas blakey poo is)
hahahahahahahah I have to post this entire page on three geez, at least he laid off the spray paint, hes gotten much better over the years, used to be all fart cans and big wing talk, he's matured a lot, all the flaming over there has straightened him up pretty good. He still may turn out just fine. For a while there I thought some of us were going to have to fly out there and beat him severely with an apc park bench wing, but he grew up.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
hahahahahahahah I have to post this entire page on three geez, at least he laid off the spray paint, hes gotten much better over the years, used to be all fart cans and big wing talk, he's matured a lot, all the flaming over there has straightened him up pretty good. He still may turn out just fine. For a while there I thought some of us were going to have to fly out there and beat him severely with an apc park bench wing, but he grew up.
hahaha no joke. Blake knows im just playin. His civic looked awesome and his CB7 isn't turning out too bad either.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM
longest project ever

hahaha no joke. Blake knows im just playin. His civic looked awesome and his CB7 isn't turning out too bad either.
yep another ricer converted from the dark side.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yay
Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM
longest project ever

I measured, the firewall isn't exactly flat, but i have about six inches between the aircleaners and the firewall, plus another air gap between the velocity stacks and the edge of the aircleaners.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
New User

Welcome. Nice car.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
longest project ever

thanks,it's slowly coming together. been trying to find raised white letter tires that fit it, and they no longer make them in my size. 195-60-14 or something that will fit. i wonder how how good raised black letters would look painted white with a tire lettering pen?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 PM

more pipes and lines than a city underground sewer system
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by SpoonSportsJunkie
more pipes and lines than a city underground sewer system
not really, oil system,fuel system,cooling, few vacuum lines, pcv system. I added a couple of things like making the vapor canister work vs. the car reeking of fuel when it sits on hundred degree days, and I added a catch can for the pcv system. Turbine aircraft engine looks complex too unless you understand it,then it's straightforward.