Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

gen 1 honda civic/crx motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 gen 1 honda civic/crx motor swap

I have a 1986 Honda Civic CRX (with stock motor) and I want to do a motor swap to a D16a6 motor (that is on-hand) and all my buddies are telling me that it will be a clean swap (using existing tranny, motor mounts, axels, etc... pretty much everything except for the wiring and ecu (which is with the motor) and I just wanted further input on this to makesure. I have a D16a6 Jap motor avalible, a D16a motor that looks similar but has the black valve cover, and another D16 motor avalible.

P.S. I'm not worried about emission issues or anything.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gen 1 honda civic/crx motor swap

Go to www.redpepperracing.com for all your swap info.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only thing that will bolt in will be a d16a1 or an early ZC. and i'm pretty sure that both will need the trans..

a D16a6 from an 88-91 Si will not bolt in what-so-ever and the trans is completely different along with axles etc...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

84-87 = everything is different from 88-91
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM

thanks to everyone that responded. The full-swap to put a D16a6 in way too much of a pain so I doubt I'll be doing, even though it'd be one bad *** CRX...
so can anyone tell me what would be an easy swap to put in my gen 1 rex? I'm wanting fuel-injection but I want power too... I mean or how much performance do you think I can squeeze out of my stock carb motor? (for cheap)
Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you read my post you would have seen that you can swap in a D16a1 pretty easily. they are from 86-89 integras. this would give you a twin cam fuel injected motor with about 112 hp. you'd need the motor, wiring, axles, hubs/brakes, transmission and ecu. this swap is well documented on redpepperracing. you'd also need a new fuel tank and a fuel pump..

if you want just fuel injection then you could do a swap with the Si motor from 85-87 as it is fuel injected with about 90 hp or so.

a d16a6 wouldn't really be that badass in a crx.. no offense, but what would be bad *** is a b16a.. or a b18a. or even a D16a1 with dual sidedrafts so you don't have to convert to fuel injection..

you can't really squeeze much performance out of the stock carbed motor as the performance parts for these are expensive or long gone. you can make good power if you want to spend the money. i think the most i've seen is about 135hp at the wheels. but the motor wasn't very streetable.

these aren't like newer cookie cutter hondas that you can get pre made exhausts, intakes, cams, etc. for. everything with these is a challenge, but a great reward at being almost "elite".. not as much as pre-84 cars, but still more elite than 88+..
Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im also curious about motor swaps into this car...

Im picking up a '86 civic si tomorrow and Im already planning on a swap! Well a dohc zc swap to be exact. Anyways Im wondering if there is a difference between the black/brown top zc's?

Will a black top zc go in just as easy as the brown top? And which axles are going to be needed? Tranny?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmda7
Go to www.redpepperracing.com for all your swap info.
This place is the "holy grail" of 1g Crx and 3g Civic info, many post's breaking down the difference between the Blacktop and Browntop ZC's and which ones can be transplanted into a 1g/3g.

This is for the wiki which breaks down all swaps/ transplants/ parts compatability http://www.redpepperracing.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
for those to lazy to search.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good this thread just answer all my questions...
Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sooo
Please explain 2 me what would it take 2 swap in a d16a6 motor....??
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsicsoul
Sooo
Please explain 2 me what would it take 2 swap in a d16a6 motor....??
A LOT!

Guys, two VERY informative people have been trying to help you out here. 84-87 Civic stuff has been done for years with GREAT documentation at redpepperracing.com. You just need to go and live there for a while.

Once there, you will clearly see that "E-AT Me" gave you the butter-advice.
Best forumula= D16a1 (which is basically a ZC) with dual side-draft carbs. The side-draft carbs will hook directly to your stock fuel-pump and fuel system. No need for any future mods, and side-drafts are SOO sweet. Plus, their completely old school, and really suite the era of the car. Mikuni and Weber make side-draft carbs. Google them at RPR. Cool stuff!

Another option that is often not mentioned: Find the intake manifold and carb from a Carb'd ZC from Japan. Very few ZC's were available with carburetors, but they ARE out there, you just have to look hard to find one. You can run this intake and carb. on an D16a1 or ZC, and use all of your existing fuel lines/pump, etc... EASY!

Other than the above options, you will have to modify your fuel delivery system. Your talking about routing a return fuel line back to the tank, and an in-line fuel pump. No biggy, can be done by a competent mechanic.

Black vs. Brown info:

Black-Top d16a1= Electronic Advance Ignition (Basically, your going to have to change your FULL in-car harness to make this work!); from 88-89 Tegs

Brown-Top d16a1= Vacuum Advance Ignition (A little bit easier on the wiring, only engine harness mods are needed, and not as many of them); from 86-87 Tegs

There ARE some HP differences, with the Blacktop having a few more horses than the Browntop, but nothing monumental. Wiki D16a1 or ZC for full specs.

Both of these engines bolt right in to the factory 3g civic motor mounts, and I BELIEVE the same is true for the 1G CRX. Besides the DOHC factor, this is what makes them such popular engines to swap in to the 84-87 platform.

Hope all of this helps!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IHEARTMYHONDA91
Im also curious about motor swaps into this car...

Im picking up a '86 civic si tomorrow and Im already planning on a swap! Well a dohc zc swap to be exact. Anyways Im wondering if there is a difference between the black/brown top zc's?

Will a black top zc go in just as easy as the brown top? And which axles are going to be needed? Tranny?

black top ZC will not work as it is for 88-91 civics. motor mounts and trans are different, just like a d16a6.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
black top ZC will not work as it is for 88-91 civics. motor mounts and trans are different, just like a d16a6.
There are Integra DOHC Blacktop ZC's. Much like the USDM Integras in which the 86-87 where brown top D16A1's and the 88-89 were Blacktop D16A1's, the Japanese ZC's were Browntop ZC 85-86, and Blacktop ZC 87-88.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

huh. didn't know. i always thought that all the black tops were 88-91 civic style and brown tops not.. never mind on that point then..

you just have to pay attention to where the motor mount is on the drivers' side of the engine.. in the middle, or really far forward.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
huh. didn't know. i always thought that all the black tops were 88-91 civic style and brown tops not.. never mind on that point then..

you just have to pay attention to where the motor mount is on the drivers' side of the engine.. in the middle, or really far forward.
Yup. Valve cover colors can be misleading at times since they are easily changed, but Integra ZC's have the Valve cover bolts in the middle, and the Civic ZC's valve cover bolts are on the outside edges.