Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Garage Zero/Nostalgic Japanese Street Fighters...The Mitty...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Zero/Nostalgic Japanese Street Fighters...The Mitty...

We had a great turnout having about 20 or so folks show up in support. Got to Road Atlanta at around 11am or so and I left at 6pm. Here are our pics. Unfortunately Eddie did NOT take pics so we won't have glamor shots of the cars. But he should have something real cool here very soon from the meet.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Garage Zero/Nostalgic Japanese Street Fighters...The Mitty...

umm.

Every car looks like ****
Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, I think the only cars I like are the RX-3 and the CVCC at the top...isn't that yours Stretch7?

Lots of somewhat rare cars...but they aren't very clean or interesting.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arsenal
umm.

Every car looks like ****
Well at least if anyone was concerned about your level of intelligence, they know now with your exact response. Thanks.

Originally Posted by hushypushy
but they aren't very clean or interesting.
At least your reply is halfway decent. See that's the beauty of our meets compared to JCCS. While we would love to have meets the caliber of the JCCS, we take pride in the fact that all of our cars actually stay on the street. About 95% of the cars that come to our meets are daily driven. They don't sit in a garage up to a week at a time and only come outside for a show. As a guy on another forum I was forwarded to said, our cars display character. They show road wear. Cars weren't meant to sit their life in a garage. I spend maybe 1/4 of what the JCCS guys spend on my car and wouldn't dare leave my car holed up. You get inside our cars and you're getting inside a car that looks like 1970. I think it was the latest issue of JNC magazine where I read the main "rules" of old school cars. The very first item on that list was to keep your car running. Never mind the looks. Looks can come later.

Keep in mind that we only started these meets less than a year ago. Some of these cars did sit around for a while until they heard about the meets. Most of the cars are a work in progress, so it's all good.

And yes, that s my CVCC.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stretch7
Well at least if anyone was concerned about your level of intelligence, they know now with your exact response. Thanks.

CC.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like my local pull-a-part yard. Just kidding...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love old school. especially daily driven.

I daily my pos 84 rx7. love it.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice in progress cars guys..

i just don't like the exhaust that sticks up.. doesn't look right on that car.. i know why it's that way, but still doesn't look right.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad you took pics, "Stretch/QD". Old school's what's up...
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
nice in progress cars guys..

i just don't like the exhaust that sticks up.. doesn't look right on that car.. i know why it's that way, but still doesn't look right.
Why are they like that? Rain catchers?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 83 CVCC
Why are they like that? Rain catchers?
It's referred to as "Boso" style. Crazy body kits, wild exhausts and other modifications destined to make folks say, "Why?"
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless anything else boso style is done, it's a waste.. imo..
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like it was a great meet. Lots of great different nostalgic cars turned out there. Congrats on getting started. It must have been hard to get even 20 people to show. I bet it was a good time though! I'd love to see something like this in my area, even if it's small like this. It will grow, given time!

It's a shame that some of the people on this site can't appreciate something other than the typical clone cars that you see every day on the street. These cars are cool because they're so out of the ordinary. And people actually have to do work on them to make them what they want. This is so much more than just swapping an engine and throwing on a fake carbon fiber hood. And that's why it's so whoop ***. Keep up the good work, and looking forward to seeing more pics!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 PM
My Name is Nobody

Winner!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
unless anything else boso style is done, it's a waste.. imo..
Works in progress, lolol. We've got some real doozies coming very soon.

Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
It must have been hard to get even 20 people to show.
This was only 1/3 of the usual numbers. Our first meet, last August, had 50+ cars. We haven't had less than 60 since. This was only much fewer because it was $35. We're expecting upwards of 80 cars or more for the July 4th meeting.

It's a shame that some of the people on this site can't appreciate something other than the typical clone cars that you see every day on the street.
And it's funny because those comments on here are the ONLY negative comments we've had since we started this. We never claimed our cars to be JCCS material. The way our cars look is call one thing...."character." You sit in one of our cars and you sit in 1970. You sit in a JCCS spec car and you sit in 1970 car in 2009. It's all good though. We consider ourselves successful at this.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still pissed i missed this thing. I deff will be there on the 4th.
lol @ stretch7. I like QD better.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like it was a great meet. Lots of great different nostalgic cars turned out there. Congrats on getting started. It must have been hard to get even 20 people to show. I bet it was a good time though! I'd love to see something like this in my area, even if it's small like this. It will grow, given time!

It's a shame that some of the people on this site can't appreciate something other than the typical clone cars that you see every day on the street. These cars are cool because they're so out of the ordinary. And people actually have to do work on them to make them what they want. This is so much more than just swapping an engine and throwing on a fake carbon fiber hood. And that's why it's so whoop ***. Keep up the good work, and looking forward to seeing more pics!
I feel the same way.

I would LOVE to have any one of those cars.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And it's funny because those comments on here are the ONLY negative comments we've had since we started this. We never claimed our cars to be JCCS material. The way our cars look is call one thing...."character." You sit in one of our cars and you sit in 1970. You sit in a JCCS spec car and you sit in 1970 car in 2009. It's all good though. We consider ourselves successful at this.
I'm playing the devil's advocate, so don't take this personally stretch...

A few of these cars are in really good shape (the RX3 for example), but most of the cars aren't doing so hot. By your logic, sitting in a beat up old machine takes you back to 1970, while sitting in a perfectly restored minty car places you in the 1970 framework while obviously in 2009.

To me, it's the exact opposite. No one went down to the showroom in 1970 and sat in a dirty, beater car with crappy paint, faded interior, and a dirty engine compartment. That's very 2009 to me. That shows that this particular car, unlike its peers, survived the crusher, oxidation, and dumb owners to make it four decades. Then you have the JCCS cars, some are modded of course but some are restored to OEM spec. Everything is new and ludicrously shiny...and that's what takes you back.

Just my two cents.

Being that my dad was incredibly into classic Japanese motorcycles when I was growing up and I went to many meets and saw many old Japanese motorcycles, I know that these smaller, club meets are more about meeting people and hanging out than seeing/showing the cleanest possible vehicles. But when you take them out of that context then you start having problems.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hushypushy
I'm playing the devil's advocate, so don't take this personally stretch...
I don't take things personal, man. If I did, I'd never get anything done because there always people who don't like what you do.

As far as your comment goes, I understand what you're saying. You also have to understand that these old cars are "rescues" of some sort. Most of our cars were found rotting away. None of us are rich beyond belief so it takes quite a bit of time to to get one looking good. The thing is, we're not scared to show off what we do have right now for the sake of the survival of old school Japanese cars. Just keeping these cars on the road is really half the battle. Just riding down the highway and seeing a beater 1973 Corolla still making it's way on it's own is a great site to true old schoolers.

My comment about sitting in a 70s car (whether beat up or restored) may have not been fully understood. You're right in that people in 1970 didn't sit in a beater when checking out the car. But we're not in 1970 now. We're 40 years from there. There is nothing like the smell of a 30+ year old car. It just smells of history. You don't have that same aura in a minty fresh, 100% restored car. It smells like 2009. See where I am?

Don't get me wrong as I love just as much seeing a perfect car, but I'm cool(as well as quite a bit of others) with where we are at this time.

No worries, man, it's just a discussion and it's all good, dude.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just riding down the highway and seeing a beater 1973 Corolla still making it's way on it's own is a great site to true old schoolers.
That's how I feel when I see other EF's on the road

and I see what you're saying too. Jay Leno talks about that often...something about the original patina that an unrestored car has. Once you restore it, you lose the originality forever.