Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

88 Accord - Gear selector issues - please help guys, this might be super simple!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88 Accord - Gear selector issues - please help guys, this might be super simple!

Trying to help my neighbor with her 88 Accord. It's currently in the shop with a huge jerk of a ripoff mechanic her insurance company sent her too and the guy is holding her car hostage telling her he needs 2K to replace her transmission. The guy is about as shady as they come. It only has 100K and is in pretty stealth condition. Poor lady is a recent widow with three children and zero income at the moment. It's a sad situation to say the least so I am trying to do whatever I can to help her.

She tells me she is sitting in her Accord at the light the other day and while the car is idling, she all of a sudden hears/feels a clunk toward the firewall of the car. When the light turns green she gives it some pedal and the car immediately starts to go into reverse. She proceeds to try to shift into all the other gears but to no avail. each time it is still stuck in reverse. My thought is that her gear selector cable or linkage is broken/damaged in some way.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before on this car? Do you know the part numbers/official names for these parts? Is their a sticky or DIY section for this repair anywhere?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 88 Accord - Gear selector issues - please help guys, this might be super simple!

bump! anyone???
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 88 Accord - Gear selector issues - please help guys, this might be super simple!

Haven't had a problem like that before, but I would get the car from that mechanic ASAP.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not ideas.... but if changing the selector position does change the motion from reverse , its seems that the selector is off.... call and tow truck and take it off this guy's garage, you can pay the minimum diagnostic fee with his recommendation to change the transmission in writing... bring it home, put in on blocks and check the undercarriage and transmission control rod for any loose or missing parts...

Later you can file a complain w the BBB or the local licensing bureau, every state has a local office in charge of consumers issues, if it was an erroneous diagnostic.

Next step is a trip to the local junkyard to find a similar car and compare...

picknpull.com has a search feature by zip code.