Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

87 CIVIC ProJect NEed HElp

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 CIVIC ProJect NEed HElp

hey guys i have a 87 civic an was woundering if their is any options for suspension on that year i havin a hard time lookin for coilovers or springs for it, and if their isnt i was woundering if it was possible for like a conversion from like the ef or da suspension thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM

Default Re: 87 CIVIC ProJect NEed HElp (thanhtheman_ej1)

bump for the homie helping me find info on my project
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope the EF and DA stuff wont work. You just need some struts like Tokiko Iluminas and some Ground Control coilovers for the rear. You can also replace the front torsion bars with some thicker ones for a stiffer ride and throw in some poly bushings. There is strut bars and sway bars around but you just gota search for them.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice jdma7
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are plenty of options available for the old Civic, Tokico Blues and Illuminas are still available, i.e

Tokico Blues (none adjustable ((but still great!)) shocks)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...25745

Tokico Illumnias (adjustable shocks)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...38587

I have a link for the ground controls at home but I believe companys like Gmax still do lowering springs.

You could also do with joining an owners club such as http://www.3goc.co.uk and/or red pepper racing. They both have friendly like minded 84 - 87 Civic owners. And they are defintaly worth taking a look.

HTH

Old 11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 87 CIVIC ProJect NEed HElp (merce)

If you are going to lower it... do yourself a favor and get Integra torsion bars... they are a little stiff so they, with the help of good struts, will prevent the car from bottoming out.

The rear you wanna do a coil over... there are a few companies like Ground Control ect. More importantly is your rear pan hard bar will need to be shortened. Because of the length... if you lower the car with the OEM... the suspension will be a bit out of wack. There are a few options including building your own
Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 PM

awesome, thanks for all the info. how thick are the integra torsion bars? i found a place that sells variety of sizes. i was thinking of going 27.5mm
Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ninder)

27.5mm works to 370lbs
Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 PM

do u know what size the teggy torsion bars are and how many lbs they hold?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 87 CIVIC ProJect NEed HElp

Where can you buy new torsion bars besides the dealer? Is there an issue with the rear stabilizer bar?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93eg2
Where can you buy new torsion bars besides the dealer? Is there an issue with the rear stabilizer bar?
Best place is a wrecking yard... yoiu want the integra torsion bars for sure. IF you can... get a set off of the AWD Civic wagons as well.

I think you are speaking of the rear pan hard bar..... see when the car is lowered.. the bar will make the rear end sit over too far. SO an adjustable one is in order. Most people make their own but between Google and redpepperracing.com I am sure you can find what you need
Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

screw that, just go to upgrademotoring.com and get either 24mm for street or 27.5mm for the track..

it's not worth the time for the integra bars because they are barely 21mm and are longer so you need to switch tubes and drill holes...
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes many would love to do that. Unfortunately they start at about $250. That is not a lot of money for most... but some are on a budget
Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, to be honest, if you're going after the torsien bars from the teg, you might as well find an entire integra and pull the engine/gearbox/front knuckles/brakes and if you'd like to add more looks than performance, the rear discs too.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by badboyr66
... but some are on a budget
Modifying cars is not an inexpensive hobby. There are ways to save money (largely by DIY methods) but you will kiss a lot of dollars goodbye... and do not expect to see them again if and when you sell.

Take a moment to consider if this is the way you want to **** your money away, because that is what this hobby is about. Oh yeah, and the cool cars.

Scott
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Scott I can appreciate your opinion...but People mod car for different reasons..not everyone is looking to go fast. Not everyone has money falling out of their ***.

I rode in a CRX with Teg suspension... owner was into is lowering job about $150... including the alignment. It was by no means a road racer in it's handling, but it never bottomed out and it road very well. Looked hot. If I was not such a corner loving person, I would deffinatly look into a similar setup. That being said... I could hardly say he was "pissing his money away".

Please consider other people on this forum are not going to agree with everything you or I say...but telling others they are pissing their money away is not cool imo.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by badboyr66
Please consider other people on this forum are not going to agree with everything you or I say...but telling others they are pissing their money away is not cool imo.
I do not expect them to agree with me. But I do have 45+ years in the car hobby (yeah, I'm old) so I have made every mistake there is to be made. Sometimes twice.

Most people on this site are about the age of my children, I only express opinions and give advice that I would give my own kids.

Putting any kind of money into a car is a very poor investment. I am suggesting that if you are of limited means, you would be better served by putting your money into other endevours. But with that said, I recognize the "enjoyment factor" of working on cars.

Just do not fool yourself into thinking that any money put into a hobby car will ever return to you. Because it will not. How many times on the Barrett Jakcson auctions do the anouncers say, "That price is about half of what the restoration cost the previous owner."

As for lowering your 1st Gen, you can do it for free. Reindex the torsion bars, cut a coil or two off the rear springs, shave the brake line bracket off the front struts and stick the lower half of the front struts into the knuckles an inch lower for more suspension travel, slot the top bolt holes of the front struts to dial in some negative camber, loosen the front cradle bolts and drag the front end forward for more caster. If you want to spend a small amount of money, get a junkyard front sway bar and bolt it to the rear. It is kind of ghetto, but all of it works.

BTW, the design of the 1st Gen's suspension is so simple that lowering the car does not affect toe which is the only factory adjustment available. Camber is only affected if you drop the car into the weeds and that would be a tragic mistake.

Listen to us old guys and we will clue you in on lots of cool, cheap mods.

Or have a bad attitude and **** your money away.

Scott

Last edited by cbstd; 01-26-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I am 32... been doing this a while myself. So age differences aside.. I am tired of people talking down to someone's cheap idea. I can care less how old, or young you are. You remind me of some of the people on the "$50 paint job" thread. Who am I ... or you for that matter, to tell someone they are pissing their money away? You are old enough to know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Asking you to be open to someone else process is hardly a bad attitude.... but take it as you like old timer.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for my opinion...

the correct response to the original posters' topic;

what do you want to do with the car? by answering this question, this will help us figure out something that will suit your needs. a lot of us have knowledge that we are too eager to dispense because we have been there and done that. what we don't realize sometimes is that something that is good for ourselves, isn't necessarily good for other people. by telling us what you want to do with the car, we can help to figure out a decent, cost effective setup that will get the results you want so you don't end up with a car that is too hard for the street or a setup that barely yields results..

to be honest though, people with our cars can benefit from finding an 86/87 teg doner and just strip it for all it's parts. you can find them for around $400.. i realize this probably isn't what you're going for, and you may not have the space to take on such endeavors.. but, if you do, realize that honda gave us many hop up parts for crx's and civics just in the integra alone..