Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

'86 CRX Si needs a head gasket (maybe), what am I in for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 CRX Si needs a head gasket (maybe), what am I in for?

I think my 86 CRX Si needs a head gasket. I'm not new to working on cars but on the Honda I've only had to do the timing belt and CV joints.

My problem is an oil and coolant leak from the area under the distributor. I have good compression and no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil so it has me a little baffled. Will take a closer look after I pull the distributor. Maybe the oil is from the cam seal and a pressure test should revile where the coolant is leaking from.

If it needs a head gasket I plan on finding TDC, draining the coolant, removing the intake and exhaust manifolds (trying to keep as many parts attached as possible) timing belt, distributor, misc hoses and wires and then the head.

Is it going to be that simple? Am I going to run into frozen exhaust bolts or other problems with a 25 year old car (280K miles) that has the original head gasket on it? I live in a salt free area so there isn't too much corrosion under the hood.

Just looking for some inside information or maybe a link to a write up.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: '86 CRX Si needs a head gasket (maybe), what am I in for?

Leaking oil under the distributor is common. I slather in a coating of axle grease around the perimeter of the distributor where it meets the head to create a kind of "gasket."

Check to see if the coolant leak is not from a hose or a fitting. Lots of stuff near the distributor that could leak without the coolant coming from the head gasket.

If you pull the head, you can leave the intake manifold on. The old head gasket will stick to the block and you may need to pry the head off. I put a bottle jack under the intake manifold and lift it up to break the head free.

Be sure to buy a pair of head dowels from Honda to align the head on to the block, the old ones will be crusty and nasty.

Also, do not forget to detach the bracket that supports the intake manifold and attachs to the back side of the block.

Do a Google search for Red Pepper Racing (this site blocks the link) for the best web site devoted to the 1st Gen CRX.

Scott