Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

'83 Accord. Best way to get it to sellable condition?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 Accord.

I was given an '83 Accord by a friend. 89,000 miles on it. I want to sell it, but there are a few issues that would make it pretty hard to sell. The steering rack was dripping, but now shooting out fluid, so I'm not driving it 'till I get that fixed. I already am working on installing a new rack.

Question One: Regardless of temperature, it normally has to crank for a while before starting properly. I'm not that experienced with carbs, so have no clue where to start. Is it an issue with gaskets, choke, something else?

Question Two: Appraisal. The interior is in great shape, recently detailed. I think the car's been garaged all its life. The plastic films are still on the window handles. Modern speakers & sony radio. Rebuilt transmission a few years ago. No major body damage. Anyone have any ideas on what I should list in on craigslist for, if I get it working?

Last edited by acetech09; 06-09-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '83 Accord. Best way to get it to sellable condition?

Pics:

Name:  mxed3Qil.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  znevjWDl.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  CvJjkf7l.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  57.4 KB
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried hitting the gas a few times when starting (before turning the key)? Not sure how inexperienced with carbs you are, but thats what I do with my 83 Civic and it starts pretty quick. LIke you said, the car looks great and I bet you can get a pretty penny for it if you sell it. But, I have to ask, why would you sell it? You have a beautiful, dependable old Honda that you got for free(?)! Keep it forever and keep it this clean!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really want to get rid of it either. I love it. But, sadly, I don't really have any driveway space, and I'm moving soon. And, as I think I've shown, It's probably better-off in the hands of another enthusiast here that could take care of the car much better than I can.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man am I sorry to hear that. You are doing better by joining here (even if it's just about selling it!) than many owners will be doing at all. But I do understand. You're on the right track with fixing the steering rack as well. I may be wrong on the starting issue, too, there might be more there but if it tries hard every time and just takes a minute I bet that's it.
As far as price, I would say at least in the 3500-4k range and be open to offers. It might be high, but you have a gem of a car, especially once it has a new steering rack. All depends though, if you're in a hurry maybe list it for less or just accept lower offers. Wish I had some money right now to take it off your hands!
Doug
Old 05-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just talked to a mechanic - he said the only thing he's seen that would blow a steering rack ring is putting in the wrong fluid.

If that's the problem, should I be worried about the pump too? Or if the pump isn't leaking, is simply putting the right fluid in good enough?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to stop by and say that this is a very fine example. The paint appears excellent, the bumper covers aren't even faded! My first car was an '86 Prelude (my brothers' before me) and that car shared the same interior color.

Anyway, I can't comment on the appraisal since I'm quite unfamiliar with these cars, but I can comment on the type of buyer that you should seek. Not sure if posting on CL would be the best route, since at the $3,500-$4,000 price point, people aren't going to fathom why you're asking so much for a 31 year old Honda. But to an enthusiast or aficionado this car is, to borrow the word, a gem and that's who I'd try and let it go to. Someone who'd appreciate it.

Community and enthusiast forums would be where I'd start (you've already done that ). Good luck with the sale. Just out of curiosity, where are you located?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Don Jefe
Just wanted to stop by and say that this is a very fine example. The paint appears excellent, the bumper covers aren't even faded! My first car was an '86 Prelude (my brothers' before me) and that car shared the same interior color.

Anyway, I can't comment on the appraisal since I'm quite unfamiliar with these cars, but I can comment on the type of buyer that you should seek. Not sure if posting on CL would be the best route, since at the $3,500-$4,000 price point, people aren't going to fathom why you're asking so much for a 31 year old Honda. But to an enthusiast or aficionado this car is, to borrow the word, a gem and that's who I'd try and let it go to. Someone who'd appreciate it.

Community and enthusiast forums would be where I'd start (you've already done that ). Good luck with the sale. Just out of curiosity, where are you located?
SF Bay Area.

The paint is in decent shape, but has a few chips and could use a touch-up here or there, plus a complete buffing overall.

Next step on the laundry list: rebuild the disintegrated intake and reattach the rear-view mirror.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Intake before & after:

Name:  4ZT7ZqLl.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  MPBWFxXl.jpg
Size:  71.7 KB
Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pristine... absolutely awesome!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm. Now it has trouble starting again, and has a pretty rough idle. I'm not entirely sure that the carb has ever been tuned since '83 (has't been driven much at all the last 10 years), so it might be struggling to run off of modern california booze-gas now.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty insanely pristine....
Rough idle can be old gas... the gas does not keep and tend to have water separation if you have some mild fog. One of my old jeep sat for 1 year and there was no idle.... gas gelled inside the carb.
Stabil or isopropyl alcohol removed the water inside the tank, but inside the carb... it can be an issue.
There are a few remedies... not too sure which one is the best... personnaly with the honda carbs nobody has the right part... so no rebuilt for such a low mileage.... chemical treatment of the gas and driving around is probably the best way.
recheck your battery cables... battery charge... and go for a drive.
As for selling once it runs decently... ebay to make money... CL to dump it.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it just was old gas. The car had been sitting on that quarter tank for quite a while, it seemed like. The car now starts and runs pretty smooth.

But, alas, I have a more serious problem. The dashboard instrument cluster isn't working. Speedo, Brake and the brake indicator light work, but no tach, fuel gauge, temp gauge, etc. I've checked fuses both in the engine bay (the two strip fuses), and the passenger footwell panel - they all look good. I'll figure out how to pull the dash and check connections.

Last edited by acetech09; 06-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check the ground, not too sure where it is .... but as I mentioned in my previous post.... ground cable are always an issue on older vehicle.
Always start w the easy stuff.... you need to find a manual w electrical schematics for your year.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by letank
check the ground, not too sure where it is .... but as I mentioned in my previous post.... ground cable are always an issue on older vehicle.
Always start w the easy stuff.... you need to find a manual w electrical schematics for your year.
Yeah, not too much for an '83 though. I did find the issue after pulling the cluster - a loose connection in the back. It's all back together now and running fine. I'm drafting up an eBay ad now, as much as it hurts to do so.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad it's an auto. I see you are in Cali, if it were stick I would buy this from you.

Would you be interested in donating this to the Honda museum in Torrance?

This brings back memories of my first car, an 82 Accord LX hatchback.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spunkster
Would you be interested in donating this to the Honda museum in Torrance?

I already had a neighbor and enthusiast (not on this forum) bring that up. I gave it some serious thought, but as it stands I'd then be out almost $500 for the steering rack and some other work, and at my current stage of life (just graduated high school, going to college & having to work my way through) I would really miss the cash.

With that said, I'm working on trying to make it go to the right hands. The aforementioned neighbor said he'd buy it from me for $3,500 if the wife let him, but you all know how that story ends. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261503190680?forcerRptr=true&item=261503190680&viewitem=.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if you still have this or not, but your car is the spitting image of my 82. I am located in Oregon, and would be very interested in purchasing the car if it is still for sale.

Would you entertain trades? I have lots of vehicles, but the 82 hatch is close to my heart and finding parts for it is very difficult.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by branscoset
Not sure if you still have this or not, but your car is the spitting image of my 82. I am located in Oregon, and would be very interested in purchasing the car if it is still for sale.

Would you entertain trades? I have lots of vehicles, but the 82 hatch is close to my heart and finding parts for it is very difficult.
I'm the same guy on eBay :p. Again, regarding my asking price, read the thread here.